The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Just watched The Mark of Cain, a documentary about Russian prison tattoos... It was more about the prison system itself rather than the tattoos, but that was fine since I'm studying that at the moment. It was really rather interesting and has English subtitles, so I recommend it to anyone interested in tattoos or Russia :smile:
Reply 1521
Original post by zjs
For no reason, here's my DVD collection:

Spoiler

Looks interesting

:beard:
Reply 1522
Watched 2 serial killer films last night (bit of a guilty pleasure..), they were both okay'ish.

Suspect Zero - Some good performances in this mainly from Ben Kingsley, storyline was all right.

w Delta z - Thought it was very intriguing, it looked pretty low budget but surprisingly had a pretty big cast including Stellan Skarsgård, Selma Blair, Melissa George and Tom Hardy.

If you're bored and like serial killer films they're not a bad way to pass your time.
I just watched Pu-239... I was expecting to enjoy it, as it's got Paddy Considine in and is about Russia, but actually it was pretty rubbish. The fake Russian accents got really grating and the story was really depressing, which would normally be fine, but it was lacking several redeeming features and in the end wasn't really very good at all. Shame.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
So just finished watching it. It had a strange feel to it, weirder and darker than Big Fish and the imagination sequences were wonderful. The little girl was really cute, and I liked the relationship she built up with Roy. It was really moving in some parts. And in general, liked how the reality meshed with the story and vice versa.

Slightly lost on the ending though.

Spoiler

I haven't seen it in a long time but...

Spoiler

Original post by NikNakWakAtak
I haven't seen it in a long time but...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Guess I'm thinking too much 'Inception' and looking for something that isn't there. :tongue:

All in all, a great film. Thanks for the recommendation.
Thor is a great watch. I was unfamiliar about the character in the Marvel universe, but you didn't have to know anything about him to understand the film. Great story, emotional at times, action at all times, broad romance with a hint of comedy.

The special effects were great too, as were the villains, acting and pace of it all.

4/5.
Original post by Mr.Messy
Thor is a great watch. I was unfamiliar about the character in the Marvel universe, but you didn't have to know anything about him to understand the film. Great story, emotional at times, action at all times, broad romance with a hint of comedy.

The special effects were great too, as were the villains, acting and pace of it all.

4/5.

Really? I thought the story was rather banal. Not to say it's a bad film, but it did seem hackneyed at times, and the characters were honestly nothing special. Except Erik Selvig, I liked him.
Original post by Jace Falco
Really? I thought the story was rather banal. Not to say it's a bad film, but it did seem hackneyed at times, and the characters were honestly nothing special. Except Erik Selvig, I liked him.

I genuinely thought it was great, thinking back I remember saying to my self this isn't going to be what some are hyping it up to be, but I was pleasantly surprised. Although yes it was quite predictable at certain points, but like I said I wasn't expecting it to be the greatest comic book superhero film. Worth a watch definitely.

Having Natalie Portman there may have helped my verdict. :sexface:
I'm loving the influx of superhero films coming out.
Cap America, Green Lantern. Next year will be even better, Batman AND Superman AND Spider-man AND Avengers. Looking forward for Star Trek 2 aswell :smile:

In general, my most anticipated film would be Hangover 2 though, for this year at least :P
Someone recommend a good surreal movie.

I'm expecting to have seen any and all recommendations but I live in hope.
Reply 1531
Original post by concubine

Un Chien Andalou

A Scanner, Darkly
Original post by Jace Falco
A Scanner, Darkly

Thought about watching this again the other day but couldn't find the DVD so I re-read the book. Philip K Dick was the man. He's been pretty lucky with film adaptations of his work, some of them are pretty average but I can't think of any that I really dislike, and there's the obvious few (namely Blade Runner/ASD/Total Recall) which are fantastic.

Original post by channy
Un Chien Andalou

Haha, I remember searching for that film years ago after seeing a .gif of the eye scene. Was somewhat shocked at the film being released in the 20s. Yay Salvador.
I had to sit through Un Chien Andalou for film class ages ago. I sincerely hope I never have to see it again (even though it did inspire a fairly incredible song).

Anyway:

The Quentin Tarantino western apparently has a title. "Django Unchained". I wouldn't necessarily trust AICN or anything-Twitter derived, but it is very Tarantino to name his film after some obscure, hyperviolent cult flick from the 60's. Ahhh, Tarantino news is always exciting. :excited:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49460
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1535
Thought about watching this again the other day but couldn't find the DVD so I re-read the book. Philip K Dick was the man. He's been pretty lucky with film adaptations of his work, some of them are pretty average but I can't think of any that I really dislike, and there's the obvious few (namely Blade Runner/ASD/Total Recall) which are fantastic.

Haha, I remember searching for that film years ago after seeing a .gif of the eye scene. Was somewhat shocked at the film being released in the 20s. Yay Salvador.

I didn't mention A Scanner Darkly, thought it would have been a given...

Mulholland Drive
Inland Empire
Eraserhead (Extremely surreal)
Reply 1537
Ape Gone Insane

Oh Ape, I just saw your message on my wall. I was away for two weeks, I did say that about a dozen pages back didn't I?
Reply 1538
Vanilla Sky
N.E.D.s (surreal in places, more so than Trainspotting)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (albeit drug-induced)
I found Tideland a little surreal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending