Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    I didn't mention A Scanner Darkly, thought it would have been a given...
    I was addressing the other bro in the top bit. Cheers anyway.

(Original post by Madjackismad)
    Mulholland Drive
    Inland Empire
    Eraserhead (Extremely surreal)

My dad got me into Lynch probably before I could even speak, so I've seen all of these. ;p Probably seen Eraserhead at least 15 times. Could possibly get ****ed up and give Inland Empire another chance, I did enjoy it but it's kinda tied with The Straight Story for my least favoured Lynch film.

I even (z0mg blasphemy) like Dune. In fact it's probably one of my favourite Lynch films. Probably because I'm such a big fan of the books and Herbert in general but. It looks exactly how it should. Was kinda interested in seeing how the new film adaptation would turn out but it looks like that's all gone to ****.

Probably for the best, from what I recall the director (not sure who it was now) attached to it sucked and the cast was pretty bad.

Still, at least Hyperion appears to be coming along so there's always that for big, potentially awesome (though likely disappointing) sci fi book adaptation BONANZA in the near future.

/gone completely off topic.

(Original post by zjs)
    Vanilla Sky
    N.E.D.s (surreal in places, more so than Trainspotting)
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (albeit drug-induced)
    Haven't seen this so I'll try get hold of it.

(Original post by NikNakWakAtak)
    I found Tideland a little surreal
    You musta gotten into my mind somehow cause I just went and borrowed the DVD from my sister. You'd get a prize for winning, but you evidently cheated.

ReputationRep:
    City of Lost Children?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    I was addressing the other bro in the top bit. Cheers anyway.

My dad got me into Lynch probably before I could even speak, so I've seen all of these. ;p Probably seen Eraserhead at least 15 times. Could possibly get ****ed up and give Inland Empire another chance, I did enjoy it but it's kinda tied with The Straight Story for my least favoured Lynch film.

I even (z0mg blasphemy) like Dune. In fact it's probably one of my favourite Lynch films. Probably because I'm such a big fan of the books and Herbert in general but. It looks exactly how it should. Was kinda interested in seeing how the new film adaptation would turn out but it looks like that's all gone to ****.

Probably for the best, from what I recall the director (not sure who it was now) attached to it sucked and the cast was pretty bad.

Still, at least Hyperion appears to be coming along so there's always that for big, potentially awesome (though likely disappointing) sci fi book adaptation BONANZA in the near future.

/gone completely off topic.

Haven't seen this so I'll try get hold of it.

You musta gotten into my mind somehow cause I just went and borrowed the DVD from my sister. You'd get a prize for winning, but you evidently cheated.
    Concubine I am your sister.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched Exit Through the Gift Shop. I thought it was ruddy great! It reminded me of Catfish a bit, because I was never 100% sure if it was true or not. Really awesome film either way, though - don't know why I waited so long to watch it!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Finally got round to watching The Shawshank Redemption earlier, it really is as good as people say it is :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    :hello:
    Next film club?

ReputationRep:
    Going through the imdb top 250 leads me to the conclusion that I've seen - perhaps - a few too many films.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Someone recommend a good surreal movie.

I'm expecting to have seen any and all recommendations but I live in hope.
    Donnie Darko... what lies beneath or Altitude for a sort of film that will remind you of The Twilight zone, it's trippy but surprisingly good

Thor's next up for me to see... high expectations, also seeing as June is next month, Super 8 and X men first class are out - that is awsum

That's a pretty brilliant choice you've got there. Not sure how many people would turn up at that time (when it finishes), but it's a great film to discuss. Shall I start the thread, or would you like to have a shot at it?

ReputationRep:
    That's a pretty brilliant choice you've got there. Not sure how many people would turn up at that time (when it finishes), but it's a great film to discuss. Shall I start the thread, or would you like to have a shot at it?
    Nahh you go ahead.

We might not get an immediate discussion but it should be interesting

(Original post by channy)
    Oh Ape, I just saw your message on my wall. I was away for two weeks, I did say that about a dozen pages back didn't I?
    Must have missed it. Ah well.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Thought process when somebody is inactive on TSR...

Social life? No way.
    Holiday? No way.
    Busy? No way.
    Work? No way.
    Been kidnapped, murdered, cremated and their ashes blowing in the wind - logically sound deduction. :awesome:

(Original post by Mr.Messy)
    I'm loving the influx of superhero films coming out.
    Cap America, Green Lantern. Next year will be even better, Batman AND Superman AND Spider-man AND Avengers. Looking forward for Star Trek 2 aswell

In general, my most anticipated film would be Hangover 2 though, for this year at least :P
    You forgot X-Men: First Class. I hope they don't go too overboard with the superhero films. Seem to be making, or proposing, to make one for every insignificant hero they can think of.

Hangover should be good. Though it looks like the exact same formula being repeated. Looking forward to the following films, any you think you might like as well?

• Apollo 18
    • Super 8
    • Cowboys & Aliens
    • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
    • Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
    • Transformers: Dark of the Moon
    • Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
    • The Hangover: Part II
    • Kung Fu Panda 2: The Kaboom of Doom
    • X-Men: First Class
    • Immortals
    • Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
    • Johnny English Reborn
    • Winnie the Pooh

Transformers being on that list is purely for mindless entertainment.

(Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Finally got round to watching The Shawshank Redemption earlier, it really is as good as people say it is :teeth:
    What other classics haven't you watched?

(Original post by cambo211)
    Nahh you go ahead.

We might not get an immediate discussion but it should be interesting
    Okay then, I shall get to it tomorrow. Hopefully we shall get some interest. Thanks for coming up the film. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Watched Source Code last week; very interesting film and great acting. That woman giving orders on the screen was incredibly hot

ReputationRep:

You forgot X-Men: First Class. I hope they don't go too overboard with the superhero films. Seem to be making, or proposing, to make one for every insignificant hero they can think of.

Hangover should be good. Though it looks like the exact same formula being repeated. Looking forward to the following films, any you think you might like as well?

• Apollo 18
    • Super 8
    • Cowboys & Aliens
    • Immortals
    • Johnny English Reborn
    • Winnie the Pooh

Transformers being on that list is purely for mindless entertainment.

Transformers gets so much abuse, its definitely entertaining, even though its truly is crap at times.

I'm generally a comic book fan, but I hate X-Men. It doesn't even stay in line with the Marvel universe. In general: "Oh look there's Spider Man WOOOOOHOOOOO :nutcase:" whereas In X-men:"Oh look there's a mutant, lets go kill it:diep:" :noway:

The films in bold I literally cannot wait for, especially HP7 part 2 & Sherlock :coma:

I wouldn't mind watching things like Immortals, or Cowboys & Aliens which should be really good.

I can't even bring myself to watch Winnie or Johnny tbh

The next year and half will be great for film, hopefully. :headbang: :dance:

ReputationRep:
    The only 'big' films that I'm aware of to be coming out this year that seem possibly worth going to see are: CONAN (so glad they changed the title from the ******ry that was 'CONAN 3D'), The Rum Diary, Pirates of the Caribbean, Tin Tin, The Three Musketeers (if, as I was under the impression, it's a more adult aimed take), The Ides of March and Cowboys and Aliens.

Immortals has potential to be decent I guess. Ancient Greece is great, Mickey Rourke rules, John Hurt is good... I just have the feeling that it's gonna suck.

The remake/sequel/whatever it is of The Thing is blatantly going to be a travesty.

• Apollo 18
    • Super 8
    • Cowboys & Aliens
    • Immortals
    • Johnny English Reborn
    • Winnie the Pooh

The bolded ones are all gonna be so bad. ;p

Also, thinking about Conan, someone needs to release a ****ing uncut version of Conan the Destroyer.

GODDAMNIT I ****ING HATE WHEN FILMS GET SCREWED OVER SIMPLY IN THE NAME OF GETTING A LOWER AGE RATING.

X-men first class will be brilliant. Matthew Vaugn
    knows what he's doing.

ReputationRep:
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes
    Green Lantern
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
    Tree of Life
    Immortals
    Super 8

The rest are just filler until The Dark Knight Rises arrives.

Tarantino's next movie has been revealed and confirmed by his agency:

Django is a freed slave, who, under the tutelage of a German bounty hunter (played by Christopher Waltz the evil Nazi officer in Inglorious Basterds) becomes a bad-ass bounty hunter himself, and after assisting Waltz in taking down some bad guys for profit, is helped by Waltz in tracking down his slave wife and liberating her from an evil plantation owner. And that doesn’t even half begin to cover it! This film deals with racism as I’ve rarely seen it handled in a Hollywood film. While it’s 100 percent pure popcorn and revenge flick, it is pure genius in the way it takes on the evil slave owning south. Think of what he did with the Nazis in Inglorious and you’ll get a sense of what he’s doing with slave owners and slave overseers in this one.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsono...go_unchained/#

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    Tarantino's next movie has been revealed and confirmed by his agency:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsono...go_unchained/#

Thoughts?
    I think this sounds absolutely fantastic, the story seems perfect for QT. I was interested in his ideas for the continuation of Kill Bill, but this sounds a lot more exciting. A revenge flick taking pot shots at American history? Brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.

ReputationRep:
    Blood, guns and vengeance. The essentials for a good Western.

I love the genre, and I am so very much looking forward to Tarantino's take.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.