Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

(Original post by Jace Falco)
    Blood, guns and vengeance. The essentials for a good Western.

I love the genre, and I am so very much looking forward to Tarantino's take.

Oh yes please. :coma:
    He does little wrong in my eyes

(Original post by Phalanges)
    I think this sounds absolutely fantastic, the story seems perfect for QT. I was interested in his ideas for the continuation of Kill Bill, but this sounds a lot more exciting. A revenge flick taking pot shots at American history? Brilliant.
    You can already imagine the 20 minute discussion over the purchase of a horse. Or a 15 minute tense poker game. Can't wait. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    You can already imagine the 20 minute discussion over the purchase of a horse. Or a 15 minute tense poker game. Can't wait. :awesome:
    Culminating in everyone drawin' their irons and puttin' down the sum*****es.

Culminating in everyone drawin' their irons and puttin' down the sum*****es.
    Probably involving a poor cowboy getting his balls shot off. Man, Quentin Tarantino and the Mexican stand-off is going to be so good. :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    Probably involving a poor cowboy getting his balls shot off. Man, Quentin Tarantino and the Mexican stand-off is going to be so good. :sogood:
    And let's not forget VENGEANCE!

ReputationRep:
    Film of the week

Sin Nombre
    If you liked City of God and/or Crash, you're likely to enjoy this

As I believe I mentioned on this thread, I re-watched this film a few days back.

It's an exquisite gang drama that's much more than this. It's got an underlying concept of love that works exactly as the concept should, rather than the mushy Hollywood perception of how this should be realised in a film. Much like Crash, it involves interweaving stories, as one person's life becomes inextricably linked with another's, through a well-developed and thought out journey.

Part of the film's realism and impact is due to Cary Fukunaga's meticulous research; spending two years with the gangs and on the trains of Central America. The way he films is beautiful, perfectly capturing the colours and environment of the region, much as City of God did. Everything about the camera angles just seems right, and every scene entirely necessary.

The ending avoids trying to follow the "twist-at-all-costs" routine and is all the better for it. Although it seems as if it could be happier it fits the tone of the film perfectly. This tone - the way the plot is conveyed, the chartacters, the vocabulary used - exudes precision due to its research and is all the better for it; genuinely creating a sense of realism. It certainly deserved its place at Sundance (in 2009).

Watch.

(Original post by Mr.Messy)
    Transformers gets so much abuse, its definitely entertaining, even though its truly is crap at times. I'm generally a comic book fan, but I hate X-Men. It doesn't even stay in line with the Marvel universe. In general: "Oh look there's Spider Man WOOOOOHOOOOO :nutcase:" whereas In X-men:"Oh look there's a mutant, lets go kill it:diep:" :noway:

The films in bold I literally cannot wait for, especially HP7 part 2 & Sherlock :coma: I wouldn't mind watching things like Immortals, or Cowboys & Aliens which should be really good. I can't even bring myself to watch Winnie or Johnny tbh The next year and half will be great for film, hopefully. :headbang: :dance:
    The attractive thing about X-Men is the focus is not just on one person, and it puts forward a variety of powers. HP 7 looks promising, even though there are some pretty weird deviations from the book. Looking forward to Cowboys and Aliens and Super 8 very much. They're both original films that look so good. :coma:

No Winnie? What kind of childhood did you have? :shock:

(Original post by concubine)
    The only 'big' films that I'm aware of to be coming out this year that seem possibly worth going to see are: CONAN (so glad they changed the title from the ******ry that was 'CONAN 3D'), The Rum Diary, Pirates of the Caribbean, Tin Tin, The Three Musketeers (if, as I was under the impression, it's a more adult aimed take), The Ides of March and Cowboys and Aliens.

Immortals has potential to be decent I guess. Ancient Greece is great, Mickey Rourke rules, John Hurt is good... I just have the feeling that it's gonna suck. The remake/sequel/whatever it is of The Thing is blatantly going to be a travesty. The bolded ones are all gonna be so bad. ;p Also, thinking about Conan, someone needs to release a ****ing uncut version of Conan the Destroyer.

GODDAMNIT I ****ING HATE WHEN FILMS GET SCREWED OVER SIMPLY IN THE NAME OF GETTING A LOWER AGE RATING.
    Hard to form an impression on Conan when all they've released is a trailer with lots of smoke. Some of the bolded ones are good. Don't insult Sherlock Holmes. :pierre:

I hate it when promising films get cancelled because the studios refuse to invest in a R-rated horror film because it's unlikely to make a lot. I'm looking at you Mountains of Madness. :dry:

Tarantino's next movie has been revealed and confirmed by his agency:
    Thoughts?
    And it has Christopher Waltz. That's what I like about Tarantino. Like Nolan, he doesn't go after sequels (even though he does seem to have good ideas for them), and makes a diverse range of original films. With some similarities.

This would be brilliant. Make it happen.

(Original post by Pi!)
    x
    (Original post by NickR92)
    x
    (Original post by Sadian)
    x
    (Original post by hockeyjoe)
    x
    (Original post by dipless)
    x
    (Original post by jamespaton)
    Hey guys.
    Welcome to the society and chat thread, you guys! Feel free to post about films you've watched recently, or are looking forward to.

(Original post by Phalanges)
    Read your blog a couple of days ago and noticed the entry about the on demand downloads. Apparently over 20 leading Hollywood directors have protested, with James Cameron, Peter Jackson and Katheryn Bigelow involved. No wonder. If you fancy reading more: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/...test-downloads

ReputationRep:
    I'm new here, so i'll list my favourite all time films:

Fight Club
    Scarface
    Godather 1.
    POTC: Black Pearl.
    Shawshank Redemption
    Donnie Darko
    Life Of Brian
    Full Metal Jacket
    The Deer Hunter.
    Black Hawk Down

What do you say to that list?

ReputationRep:
    Blood, guns and vengeance. The essentials for a good Western.

I love the genre, and I am so very much looking forward to Tarantino's take.

Didn't Tarintino already direct Sukiyaki Western Django?

If the above was his take on a Western I'm not holding out hope for the next

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    Didn't Tarintino already direct Sukiyaki Western Django?

If the above was his take on a Western I'm not holding out hope for the next
    Tarantino starred in that, not directed :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    Recently watched:

Education of charlie banks- 8/10

enjoyed this film, added a new aspect and genre to American college films

Scouting Book for Boys- 5/10

Perfectly captured the quintessential caravan park holidays (oh the memories), with additional sombre elements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Tarantino starred in that, not directed :fyi:
    ah

Wtf is Django and why is it featuring in Western titles?

(Original post by SteveCrain)
    ah

Wtf is Django and why is it featuring in Western titles?
    Spaghetti Western
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    What other classics haven't you watched?

If I haven't watched them how will I know they exist? :holmes:

Though here's my IMDb list thing:

ReputationRep:
    What do people think of Scre4m?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    If I haven't watched them how will I know they exist? :holmes:
    This is so stupid

Edit: Unless you were being sarcastic (giving you an escape route here).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by internetstephen)
    This is so stupid
    Well you're so stupid :smug:

ReputationRep:
    +rep

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.