Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got another idea for a drinking game: watch any film with Kristen Stewart in and take a drink whenever she bites/licks her lips or pushes her hair back.

ReputationRep:
    Watched Dead Man Walking last night. Amazing performance from Susan Sarandon. Sean Penn was great too.

ReputationRep:
    The video in my sig literally sums up my entire childhood. Epic.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Beska)
    You like? Twin flamethrowers on a ship are admittedly pretty cool...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)

Johnny and Penelope = fittest pirate couple of ALL time.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Already seen. :smug: Absolutely love it.

I hope they've managed to write it well enough so that the loss of the characters Elizabeth/Will don't impact the dynamic that much. Plus they've lost Gore Verbinski...

I really hope it doesn't just flop. There's a 5th/6th film on the cards (would be filmed back to back) and I'd really like them come to fruition.

ReputationRep:
    I remember watching the first POTC at the cinema and thinking "WOW this is so good!". Then the next two, meh. :ashamed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)

I hope they've managed to write it well enough so that the loss of the characters Elizabeth/Will don't impact the dynamic that much. Plus they've lost Gore Verbinski...

I really hope it doesn't just flop. There's a 5th/6th film on the cards (would be filmed back to back) and I'd really like them come to fruition.
    Rob Marshall is a much better director than Verbinski. It's a bit of an odd choice of movie for him, but the one certain thing is that it will look sublime.

Completely unrelated; I finished reading The Gunslinger earlier (it's the first fiction book I've read in years that hasn't been by either Terry Pratchett or Chuck Palahniuk) and it was incredible. It's stuff like that which makes me wish I was a director, I know exactly how I'd film it. Instead we'll get Ron Howard dumbing it down and stripping it of it's meaning. Yipee.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by aja89)
    I remember watching the first POTC at the cinema and thinking "WOW this is so good!". Then the next two, meh. :ashamed:
    I think I'm the only person in the world that things PoTC 3 was the best one of the trilogy... (well, what used-to-be-a-triology)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)

Rob Marshall is a much better director than Verbinski. It's a bit of an odd choice of movie for him, but the one certain thing is that it will look sublime.

Completely unrelated; I finished reading The Gunslinger earlier (it's the first fiction book I've read in years that hasn't been by either Terry Pratchett or Chuck Palahniuk) and it was incredible. It's stuff like that which makes me wish I was a director, I know exactly how I'd film it. Instead we'll get Ron Howard dumbing it down and stripping it of it's meaning. Yipee.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Tbh I know pretty much nothing about directors as a whole (I only know maybe 3, 4) but I'm more concerned with Marshall changing the 'feel' of the film? I don't know. I have no idea what generally happens when a new director takes over a franchise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Tbh I know pretty much nothing about directors as a whole (I only know maybe 3, 4)
    Who would you say you know, out of curiosity? I've been asking this question a lot lately to people in real life, because I'm never sure how much of my level of interest would translate over to a general filmgoer.

but I'm more concerned with Marshall changing the 'feel' of the film? I don't know. I have no idea what generally happens when a new director takes over a franchise.
    It depends very much on the director. If it's someone like Aronofsky (who was going to direct the new Wolverine film before he walked) then it's very much going to be a case of moulding it to suit him. If it's a brand new director (such as David Fincher was when he made Alien 3) then the studio tends to control it how they want.

In this case, not too much will change in terms of emphasis. Marshall isn't a particularly strong director, so he's not going to start trying to send things in a radical direction or anything like that. But if you look at his previous films (Chicago, Memoirs of a Geisha, Nine) as well as his background in choreography, it's clear that he cares a lot about the appearance of his work. Disney never give a lot of creative control over lightly so you don't need to worry too much about it changing, but the sets and costumes will really pop.

Of course, the issue then is that without strong direction the series is going to descend into even more of a vehicle for Johnny Depp with an increasingly incidental story, as the films have always suffered because nobody dares to reign him in.

ReputationRep:
    did anyone know that there is a William and Kate Movie coming out in the US?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    You've made us proud. Keep reading. Have you picked up on any references to other novels? The books are littered with them, but then you're not likely to if you haven't read around his bibliography much.
    A few, although mostly from film adaptations of novels rather than the books themselves.

And how would you film it?
    It would be the most expensive arthouse film ever made. :p: I'd channel a ton of influences, including notably There Will Be Blood and The Way Back.

Spoilered as I wouldn't want to inadvertently ruin the story for anyone:

Spoiler:
    Show
    The opening would be as in TWBB, about 15 minutes of silence until the gunslinger meets the farmer. I think it would be important to show routine and not skimp early on with setting the atmosphere (which I can almost guarantee Howard will not spend any time on).

I also think it would be very important not to have any kind of narrator. The plot shouldn't progress or be explained any faster than it does in the book. The downside of no narration would mean that the actor playing the gunslinger would have to be bloody good in order to convey all of the emotions and thoughts that are written but never said.

The flashbacks would be done at the same time as they're introduced in the books, which is generally when someone tells them in conversation. To start them I'd have the character begin a sentence, zoom into his eye to the old scene, and then gradually have the monologue fade out. I'd detail them depending on who was narrating - the Gunslinger would be detailed but without much visual creativity, the boy's would appear much more whimsical and those featuring the MiB would be hurried and blurred.

I'd use an auditory cue as a symbol whenever the gunslinger's soul is being blackened and eroded. Ideally something original but when I was reading I was thinking of the instrumental version of Mad World, which could work particularly well during scenes like the shoot-out in Tull or the end when the boy is left.

In terms of how I'd separate the movie then I'd probably divide the scenes 50% desert (including waystation), 5% forest (I'd only show the prophecy scenes and move on), 10% mountains, 10% cave, 15% golgotha.

Deserts would be shot very similar to how they are in the Way Back, the cave scenes would be illuminated similar to Buried i.e. just with proper light sources, which would make them look very eerie (and also be the reason why I'd cut quite a lot of the scenes out, as it wouldn't work for an extended time). From when the boy drops as he leaves the cave to when the MiB turns to bone I would shoot it in black and white, to really bring across the feeling of a shattered soul before moving on.

In terms of cast:

Gunslinger - I was originally thinking Daniel Craig, but Javier Bardem is an absolutely fantastic choice so hat's off to Howard for that
    Boy - difficult one, as there aren't that many good child actors. Probably someone like Ahmad Khan Mahmoodzada, although he's probably too old for it now so you'd have to find some new talent.
    MiB - Johnny Depp (or Daniel Day-Lewis)
    Woman from Tull - Helena Bonham Carter, she's pretty much made for that role.
    Priestess from Tull - Dawn French

I have other ideas as well, but I think I've rambled enough... :o:

ReputationRep:
    Mission impossible: Ghost protocol should be interesting.... Tom Cruise is really entertaining to watch imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I think I'm the only person in the world that things PoTC 3 was the best one of the trilogy... (well, what used-to-be-a-triology)
    Yes. Dead man's chest was the best hands down, 3 was just a tad convoluted and the plot felt a bit all over the place, but I do think it was the 'grandest', had the best visuals and felt like more of an epic adventure film

Pizza and Rounders tonight.

(And exams in the morning :work:)

ReputationRep:
    ^ On a slightly related note (just cos I'm linking Joseph GL to Zooey in my head)

I'd like to see Zooey Deschanel in another quirky free-spirited but fun to watch indie film, she's criticised for being typecast and all, doing the same roles (which is kinda true) but I just really like watching her on screen

And if she wants to do another sci-fi thriller, she should avoid M night Shyamalan movies and proof read the script

ReputationRep:
    Page 10 before i get an internet connection that allows me to do more than load the first page :emo:

ReputationRep:
    I cannot express how much I adore Maggie Smith. I genuinely think she's the greatest actress of all time.

The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie :coma:

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.