The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

i just joined this thread, anyone else going to watch POC4?
OUATITW is pretty much definitely the best western ever.

Also, watched Dial M for Murder. Predictably great. Rooting for the bad guy is always a strange experience, but for some reason I really really wanted that guy to successfully murder his wife.
Reply 1602
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
You mean the thread? I'm currently actively avoiding updating it. Maintaining that list is tiring.

:nah:

The imdb top 250 "I've watched" list - i.e. the one people have in their sigs.

:mmm:

I would pay to watch that film. Bigelow and Boal are two people that have earned my trust not to get over-patriotic.
Reply 1604
Original post by Jace Falco
You haven't watched many Westerns, eh? It's my lucky day :awesome:

You need to watch:

The Dollars Trilogy-
-A Fistful Of Dollars
-For a Few Dollars More
-The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

A Fistful Of Dynamite

Once Upon A Time In The West (this is probably the best Western ever)

High Plains Drifter

The Outlaw Josey Wales

3:10 To Yuma

Unforgiven

The Wild Bunch

I'll let you know if I think of any more :h:

Much appreciated, thanks! :h: I can't rep you any more at the moment, unfortunately. :frown:

Ape Gone Insane

Sounds promising.

I'm really looking forward to his Abe Lincoln biopic, if only because Daniel Day-Lewis is in it. It's due out next year. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by zjs
:nah:

The imdb top 250 "I've watched" list - i.e. the one people have in their sigs.

Reply 1606

Resign from leadership of the society at once. :colonhash:
Reply 1607
Oh, also, I was going through a couple of trailers from the Cannes selection this year. I'm quite looking forward to Melancholia, which looks like it could be anything between intriguing and depressingly pretentious.

Oh, so you're one of those 'folk' (think Serenity is a better film that Empire Strikes Back) :dry:

Meh, your opinion. The Prestige is. Well, aren't most films directed by Nolan? Have you seen the Illusionist? That poor (inferior) film which always gets lapped with The Prestige even though they have little in common really.

Excuuuuse me.
ESB is a better film but I find Serenity more entertaining. As you say, my opinion.
I don't enjoy the idea you're looking down on me for thinking that though...pfft.

Edit: here's mine :h:

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Phalanges
The most attractive thing about living in America is easily Netflix. When the hell are they going to release it over here?

Wasn't it said (reports or official) that it would be by the end of 2010? That doesn't seem to have worked out. But there has been some recent news on it, came across this a few weeks ago: http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/31/netflix-beefing-up-service-center-in-preparation-for-globa-launc/

I'm not too keen on what we have at the moment: Lovefilm. Get a slight tinge of jealousy when I see someone using Netflix on something where the activity is broadcasted - like a games console.
Reply 1610
Original post by Christien
"The Eagles are a dangerous 'machine'. I have used them sparingly, and that is the absolute limit of their credibility or usefulness." (J. R. R. Tolkien, Letter to F. Ackerman, June 1958)

Basically, because if that happened, there would be no plot. :p:
also Eagles stand out like sore thumbs, being magical creatures. Hobbits dont get an eye batted to them.

Sauron would wing his Nazgul (and probably himself) over to fry them in a crisp. Remember he watches over his land like a hawk.
Original post by Stray_talk
Excuuuuse me.
I don't enjoy the idea you're looking down on me for thinking that though...pfft.

You looked down on me :sad:

I used to respect you :hmmm: :tongue:

ESB is a better film but I find Serenity more entertaining. As you say, my opinion.

It's not that. It's not the films themselves. I love Serenity, like I love Firefly. It's just the fanbase and how the polling progressed in the io9 competition. I mean, even though everyone was voting for the 'film they liked', it didn't seem like a fair victory. Convinced one fan base was cheating for votes.

That reminds me. We should have our own Film Forum sci-fi film competition in future complete with polling and a flurry of replies angrily screaming why one science fiction film was omitted from the poll. :awesome:

Original post by zjs
Resign from leadership of the society at once. :colonhash:

:plz2:
Reply 1612
I like LOVEFiLM because they send you an actual disc which I can then copy and burn for myself.

:ninja:
Original post by aja89

Original post by aja89
I like LOVEFiLM because they send you an actual disc which I can then copy and burn for myself.

:ninja:

I'm telling on yoooou.
klmoffat1
x

Welcome to the film society and chat thread! :h:
(edited 12 years ago)
Wasn't it said (reports or official) that it would be by the end of 2010? That doesn't seem to have worked out. But there has been some recent news on it, came across this a few weeks ago: http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/31/netflix-beefing-up-service-center-in-preparation-for-globa-launc/

I'm not too keen on what we have at the moment: Lovefilm. Get a slight tinge of jealousy when I see someone using Netflix on something where the activity is broadcasted - like a games console.

I think there were plans to try and bring it over as early as 05, but they got aborted.

The amount of content they have is just insane though, and unlimited usage for $8 a month on computers, TVs and phones... it's hard to imagine anyone wouldn't want it.

Original post by Gizmo!
also Eagles stand out like sore thumbs, being magical creatures. Hobbits dont get an eye batted to them.

Sauron would wing his Nazgul (and probably himself) over to fry them in a crisp. Remember he watches over his land like a hawk.

I'm noticing a distinct lack of macca in this post. It's almost as if you're talking as a normal person! :zomg:
(edited 12 years ago)

You looked down on me :sad:

Just because I knew you'd do it! :dry:

It's not that. It's not the films themselves. I love Serenity, like I love Firefly. It's just the fanbase and how the polling progressed in the io9 competition. I mean, even though everyone was voting for the 'film they liked', it didn't seem like a fair victory. Convinced one fan base was cheating for votes.

I'm not sure there's much that can be changed about that. Serenity/Firefly has a strong fanbase. Sure it's a bit rubbish they can't be objective but how can it be monitored?

That reminds me. We should have our own Film Forum sci-fi film competition in future complete with polling and a flurry of replies angrily screaming why one science fiction film was omitted from the poll. :awesome:

I'm in :ahee:
Reply 1617
Original post by Phalanges
I'm noticing a distinct lack of macca in this post. It's almost as if you're talking as a normal person! :zomg:

'obbits dont get an eye batted to them. aahhh, Sauron would wing his Nazgul (and probably 'imself) over to fry them in a crisp. Remember he watches over his land like a 'awk, macca.
Reply 1618
Sitting the Curzon Mayfair waiting for SENNA to start. :biggrin:
I'd like to see a tv show with film reviews by Mark Kermode... that is all.

Also, Dylan Dog looks pretty good. brandon routh is great

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending