The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Vue cinemas are really ****ing me off at the moment.
I've never seen a thread on TSR with so many Facebook likes, even the Osama thread has like 4. Catfish thread has 13 likes. We might have set a record. :K:
I claim credit for this :king1:
Credit is rightfully yours. Excellent choice in the film. :king1:
Reply 1624
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
You looked down on me :sad:

It's not that. It's not the films themselves. I love Serenity, like I love Firefly. It's just the fanbase and how the polling progressed in the io9 competition. I mean, even though everyone was voting for the 'film they liked', it didn't seem like a fair victory. Convinced one fan base was cheating for votes.

That reminds me. We should have our own Film Forum sci-fi film competition in future complete with polling and a flurry of replies angrily screaming why one science fiction film was omitted from the poll. :awesome:

:plz2:

Most likely, something similar would occur.
Original post by channy
Most likely, something similar would occur.

As in Serenity emerging victorious (or as in a fan base weighing heavily in favour of one film)? I don't think it would, to be honest. Judging by previous threads on TSR, both science fiction and overall, the classics like Star Wars and Blade Runner always get mentioned more than Serenity. In comparison, Serenity hardly gets mentioned. In general, I think the type of users that browse TSR, ones who can sit back and be evaluate each film fairly, would vote more in favour of Blade Runner than they would in favour of Serenity. That's purely an assumption though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1626
As in Serenity emerging victorious (or as in a fan base weighing heavily in favour of one film)? I don't think it would, to be honest. Judging by previous threads on TSR, both science fiction and overall, the classics like Star Wars and Blade Runner always get mentioned more than Serenity. In comparison, Serenity hardly gets mentioned. In general, I think the type of users that browse TSR, ones who can sit back and be evaluate each film fairly, would vote more in favour of Blade Runner than they would in favour of Serenity. That's purely an assumption though.

Star Wars would win. Probably. One of them anyway.
Million Dollar Baby was on. I remember when I first watched it years ago. Went into the film knowing nothing about it. Thought it would be along the same lines of Rocky or even Raging Bull. But it wasn't. And the emotional shock I got from the film when she hit the stool. It sheds a light on both assisted suicide and euthanasia. It's a beautiful film.

It also reminded me of Christopher Reeve. :rip: Sad stuff.
(edited 12 years ago)
Staying on the subject of Million Dollar Baby, anyone else find the idea of having Quadriplegia more terrifying than death? What would you do in such a situation? I realise that's a shallow question.

Reminds of me that story of a man who suffered some brain injury. He was in a coma for 20 or more years. And the doctors had conducted various brain scans and tests and concluded that there was little brain activity, that the man could not hear or process communication. He was essentially brain dead in terms of processing information and communication. 20 years later, they conducted some more tests and found that for the past 20 years, he had not been brain dead at all. He had been able to hear everything going on around him, and talk to himself in his own head. He had been screaming out in his own head for nearly 2 decades whilst everyone thought he couldn't hear them. 20 years spent talking to himself in his own head.

That is terrifying.

Staying on the subject of Million Dollar Baby, anyone else find the idea of having Quadriplegia more terrifying than death? What would you do in such a situation? I realise that's a shallow question.

Reminds of me that story of a man who suffered some brain injury. He was in a coma for 20 or more years. And the doctors had conducted various brain scans and tests and concluded that there was little brain activity, that the man could not hear or process communication. He was essentially brain dead in terms of processing information and communication. 20 years later, they conducted some more tests and found that for the past 20 years, he had not been brain dead at all. He had been able to hear everything going on around him, and talk to himself in his own head. He had been screaming out in his own head for nearly 2 decades whilst everyone thought he couldn't hear them. 20 years spent talking to himself in his own head.

That is terrifying.

:lolwut:
Do you have any links to the story, sounds oddly intriguing?!

It's pretty easy to speak hypothetically about such a thing, but I would imagine that if it came down to it my overriding instinct for life would be pretty persuasive.

Original post by Stray_talk
:lolwut:
Do you have any links to the story, sounds oddly intriguing?!

It's called locked-in syndrome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locked-in_syndrome

You should really give Leon, Amelie, Black Swan, Der Untergang, Annie Hall, Kill Bill and Scarface a watch. But a solid list there. :tongue:

I saw a bit of Amelie in school once. In a French lesson. :rolleyes:

Black Swan looks like Natalie Portman doing weird faces. At least, that's all I can remember from the trailer. Isn't Scarface loud, OTT and in-your-face. Like a Transformers version of Once Upon a Time in America or Road to Perdition?

But I'll definitely watch Annie Hall, just to get what all the fuss about Woody Allen is. I've only seen Cassandra's Dream and that was awful. I'll check out Leon and Downfall as well.

I saw your list; the only film you need to watch is Bicycle Thieves. Also, there's an obscure French film called Human Resources that's not on the list but is really good. It's £3 on Amazon or you can watch it on Youtube (without subtitles) :tongue:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Human-Resources-DVD/dp/B000LE0TXS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Trailer doesn't have subtitles but it's basically about a blue collar family, where the father works in the factory and the son gets an internship with the head office. It explores class, family and employer-employee relations. The politics is a little heavy-handed but it's still very good.

Original post by Phalanges

It's called locked-in syndrome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locked-in_syndrome

Is that like Diving Bell and the Butterfly?
awaiting the sequel to Million dollar baby, (Billion dollar baby) hah :indiff:

Btw anyone in London been to see films screened outside in somerset house in summer before? seems pretty cool, may do that this year
Original post by Roobsa
Sitting the Curzon Mayfair waiting for SENNA to start. :biggrin:

How was it? You had a Q&A before, didn't you?

Original post by lukejoshjedi
I'd like to see a tv show with film reviews by Mark Kermode... that is all.

Film reviews on TV or radio led by one person are ultimately boring, as they offer nothing more than you can get in print but they detract from the message. For a film review program to be worth watching there needs to be at least two critics who can discuss a film, and offer something more than other media do.

Ebert would never have been as famous if he didn't also have Siskel.
Anyone else going to the Empire Big Screen? Know when the tickets are being pre-released?
Reply 1636
Original post by Phalanges
How was it? You had a Q&A before, didn't you?

It was after but the film is just incredible. Really quite emotional. The entire film is made from archive footage with only the audio interviews recorded for the film. The soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard. It adds so much depth to the already superb storyline. Antonio Pinto, the guy who composed it was a huge Senna fan who insisted he was the one who did it and what's really interesting is that he composed it without seeing any of the footage or sequences. It was only from his passion for Senna but it fits so well.

You don't need to be a F1 fan to enjoy this film. It's without a doubt one of, if not the best big screen documentary I've seen.

The Q&A was ace. Though only like 4 questions were asked, there were some VERY special guests speaking - two of Senna's mechanics, Sir Jackie Stewart, Martin Brundle, Professer Sid Watkins (F1 doctor and close friend of Senna's, who's a fairly important part of the film itself) and Terry Fullerton (you'll need to see the film to understand the importance of him).

My dad managed to blag an invite to a reception after the screening with Asif Kapadia and Manish Pandey so it was really cool talking to them for a while. Some people suggested the film might be up for an Oscar.

Got Sir Jackie Stewart's signature too!
Reply 1637
Just watched Water for Elephants.

Christoph Waltz was absolutely brilliant. He truly made the film.
Original post by Roobsa

Original post by Roobsa
It was after but the film is just incredible. Really quite emotional. The entire film is made from archive footage with only the audio interviews recorded for the film. The soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard. It adds so much depth to the already superb storyline. Antonio Pinto, the guy who composed it was a huge Senna fan who insisted he was the one who did it and what's really interesting is that he composed it without seeing any of the footage or sequences. It was only from his passion for Senna but it fits so well.

You don't need to be a F1 fan to enjoy this film. It's without a doubt one of, if not the best big screen documentary I've seen.

The Q&A was ace. Though only like 4 questions were asked, there were some VERY special guests speaking - two of Senna's mechanics, Sir Jackie Stewart, Martin Brundle, Professer Sid Watkins (F1 doctor and close friend of Senna's, who's a fairly important part of the film itself) and Terry Fullerton (you'll need to see the film to understand the importance of him).

My dad managed to blag an invite to a reception after the screening with Asif Kapadia and Manish Pandey so it was really cool talking to them for a while. Some people suggested the film might be up for an Oscar.

Got Sir Jackie Stewart's signature too!

Sounds awesome, I'll definitely have to try and check it out if it comes to a screen near me.

I'm a sucker for a good montage.

Quick Reply

Latest