Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheep_go_baa)
    The music is brilliant! None of my friends appreciate his movies though I think they don't like the quirky akwardness of them which is exactly what makes them so :awesome:
    Have you seen this? It's some couple's Wes Anderson-style wedding invite video...

It's rather cheesy and definitely obsessive, but I think it's the height of cuteness.

(Original post by lukejoshjedi)

Trailer for Final Destination 5 is out, finally

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=77347
    Meh. That franchise could go on forever.

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Request? Understandable.

Left us to the mercy of the generic 'What is your favourite film?" threads though. Film is doomed. :emo:

----

Also just watched The Way Back. Wasn't expecting much, but it turned out to be a pretty fantastic film. Took a while to realise it was the same girl from Hanna, Saoirse Ronan.
    I loved that film. Also found it to be much better than I expected. I still haven't seen Hanna (hoping to see it some time this week) but if Saoirse Ronan's performance is half as good in it, I'll be impressed.

I saw Arthur yesterday, and probably enjoyed it more than Phalanges did. I still loathe Russell Brand, but he's somewhat lest detestable in movies, though it would have been nothing without Helen Mirren. I love her. :puppyeyes:

Apprentice is on soon. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmanuel321)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Did you see the bit after the credits?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yep, The Cosmic Cube!!!!!!!! I believe it plays a crucial part of next months Captain America. Sets it all up very nicely to next years Avengers.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uber-Man)
    Yep, The Cosmic Cube!!!!!!!! I believe it plays a crucial part of next months Captain America. Sets it all up very nicely to next years Avengers.
    Yeah spoiler that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mimimimi)
    Have you seen this? It's some couple's Wes Anderson-style wedding invite video...

It's rather cheesy and definitely obsessive, but I think it's the height of cuteness.
    I am so stealing that idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Yeah spoiler that
    sorry dude, quite new, how do i add a spoiler?? cant appear to see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uber-Man)
    sorry dude, quite new, how do i add a spoiler?? cant appear to see it.
    [spoiler]whatever you want to say[/spoiler]

gives

Spoiler:
    Show
    whatever you want to say

ReputationRep:
    The mist... the story for it is actually good but the film was Meh I agree, but it was interesting to just play out that idea, what would people do if trapped in that situation with each other. I really like films that 'explore humanity' like that
    Yeah I liked the plot and the idea, I didn't really like the lack of back-story or...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ...the end really, ie when he shoots everyone then immediately gets saved himself. I was watching it with some friends, one of whom sadistically laughed for about 5 minutes and then kept going on about how awesome it was later... scared me a bit lol.

I can never decide whether or not I like Stephen King adaptations in general. I mean there are some amazing ones like Shawshank and The Shining, etc, but then there are some...let's say dubious ones like The Mist and... I can't make up my mind on Secret Window lol. I really like it but at the same time it's like "err...ok...if you say so" if you know what I mean... I'm not really making much sense am I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmanuel321)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Did you see the bit after the credits?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Indeed I did :teeth: Me, my friend and a few other people were cool enough to know about it :cool: I can't wait for The Avengers, though this summer I can be satisfied with Captain America and Green Lantern :gah:

When talking about Thor I have to say...Loke was my favorite character in the film :mmm: though there has to be more than one enemy in the Avengers, I guess we will find out more after watching the other heroes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MizzCupcakes)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Indeed I did :teeth: Me, my friend and a few other people were cool enough to know about it :cool: I can't wait for The Avengers, though this summer I can be satisfied with Captain America and Green Lantern :gah:

When talking about Thor I have to say...Loke was my favorite character in the film :mmm: though there has to be more than one enemy in the Avengers, I guess we will find out more after watching the other heroes.
    I want another Iron Mannnnn

(Original post by NikNakWakAtak)
    I saw a bit of Timecrimes on Film4 and it looked really intriguing. Definitely on my to-watch list.

Do you know any decent dystopian films, similar to Brazil or 1984? It can be foreign language or in English.
    Equilibrium (with Christian Bale) comes to mind. I really liked that film. It's a combination of concepts and elements from 1984 and Fahrenheit 451.

The Matrix, The Island, Twelve Monkeys, Blade Runner, A Clockwork Orange, Children of Men and V for Vendetta are other ones.

I'd definitely recommend giving them all a watch. :yep:

(Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
    Rewatched The Shawshank Redemption earlier <3
    Shame Mr Darabont did so well with that then The Green Mile and then so epically failed with The Mist! Not that it's really bad just...The Mist...
    I was so glad when that ...

Spoiler:
    Show
    Religious nut got shot in the head.

And how could people at the start be so stupid.

(Original post by True Ace)
    The Dark Towers in trouble, and not just from the Crimson King...

http://www.craveonline.com/film/arti...k-tower-fallen

Javier Bardem would have made such a good Roland too.
    Yeah, like I said, it's At the Mountains of Madness all over again. :sad:

Though I'm not sure if the Dark Tower not going ahead is an entirely bad thing.

xD attempted mutiny among the mods I assume. He was caught out too soon :rolleyes:

(Original post by JessicaW)
    I loved that film. Also found it to be much better than I expected. I still haven't seen Hanna (hoping to see it some time this week) but if Saoirse Ronan's performance is half as good in it, I'll be impressed.

I saw Arthur yesterday, and probably enjoyed it more than Phalanges did. I still loathe Russell Brand, but he's somewhat lest detestable in movies, though it would have been nothing without Helen Mirren. I love her. :puppyeyes:

Apprentice is on soon. :coma:
    It was really inspirational in a sense by showing the extent that people can go to survive. I'm not sure why but throughout the film I kept expecting them to descend into cannibalism. Didn't trust that Valka guy. Not even taking into account Hanna, she was excellent in Lovely Bones and Atonement too. I can't wait 'till I see Hanna. :moon:

It was really inspirational in a sense by showing the extent that people can go to survive. I'm not sure why but throughout the film I kept expecting them to descend into cannibalism. Didn't trust that Valka guy. Not even taking into account Hanna, she was excellent in Lovely Bones and Atonement too. I can't wait 'till I see Hanna. :moon:
    Aha yes, so did I. The ending was very sweet, too. Though somewhat spoiled by some idiot girl in front of me telling her boyfriend she didn't get it. I forgot she was in Atonement! I haven't seen Lovely Bones - I read the book and thought it was a steaming pile of ****e, so I doubt I'd like the film.

ReputationRep:
    Equilibrium (with Christian Bale) comes to mind. I really liked that film. It's a combination of concepts and elements from 1984 and Fahrenheit 451.

The Matrix, The Island, Twelve Monkeys, Blade Runner, A Clockwork Orange, Children of Men and V for Vendetta are other ones.

I'd definitely recommend giving them all a watch. :yep:
    I've seen them all.

They're all brilliant except for The Island, which is just Puma tracksuits and explosions. I''m gonna try some sci-fi like Total Recall etc.

Thanks anyway, though.

ReputationRep:
    National Movie Awards

It really is the worst Movie awards ceremony i've seen for a while.

Gullivers Travels up for vote in the same category as Tron Legacy.

ReputationRep:
    I was so glad when that ...

Spoiler:
    Show
    Religious nut got shot in the head.

And how could people at the start be so stupid.
    Haha yeah I lolled when I opened that spoiler - it's the only part of the film I remember really liking!

And on another note I really don't see the big deal with Equilibrium - I thought it was a bit flat tbh :/ no offence to your film taste of course lol.

ReputationRep:
    Cannes festival started today. Anyone got any thoughts ? Some good stuff in there. Melancholia and Tree of Life springs to mind!

ReputationRep:
    Super 8 <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    National Movie Awards

It really is the worst Movie awards ceremony i've seen for a while.

Gullivers Travels up for vote in the same category as Tron Legacy.
    Yeah I watched some of that :|
    Take That and JLS at a movie awards ceremony? REALLY?!

But yeah I was glad to catch exclusives on Cars 2, X-Men First Class, etc

(Original post by JessicaW)
    I love your sig lol

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.