Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Ah, I see. Wondering if I should delve into any Thor comics. I mean, I found the film okay. But the mythology (comic, not Norse) seems interesting.
    No idea, I don't read Marvel comics.

My Superman comics/graphic novels are arriving this week. :coma:
    Which ones did you get? Only ones I've read with him in a prominent role are Red Son, Kingdom Come and Trinity.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I automatically got the feeling she was going to run after her when she had finished beating up the guy. I did like the way it ended, came full circle.

Though it makes you wonder what would be next for her. I think it's best as a standalone film. Plot seems resolved.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I got that feeling too, but I liked how she didn't - emphasised her limited humanity. I agree, I think it's best as a standalone, but it's always possible she could go like Bourne and delve into the programme's history; maybe one of the other test subjects wasn't killed, or something.

ReputationRep:
    13 Assassins is pretty ****ing good.

Tree of Life is heavily dividing audiences and critics at Cannes, then...

ReputationRep:
    Just re-watched I Heart Huckabees. I watched it for the first time ages ago and liked the soundtrack, so I've listened to the songs countless times, but I'd totally forgotten what the film was actually like. I'd forgotten that I actually didn't like it and found it confusing first time round, so the same thing happened again. It's a shame, because the soundtrack is awesome and Jason Schwartzman is :sexface: but at least now I know not to watch it again (until I forget).

ReputationRep:
    First Tintin trailer:

Not quite sure what to think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    First Tintin trailer:

Me likes

ReputationRep:
    An Education with Carey Mulligan is on iPlayer. SD & HD versions.
    So unfair I can't watch it... here we only have crappy Swedish reality shows on some channels and SVT (the equivalent to the BBC) :emo:

ReputationRep:
    Walked passed St. John Street earlier (5min from uni) and saw a bunch of S.W.A.T. trucks and American style cop cars with ‘Gotham Police Department’ written on the side for the filming of The Dark Knight Rises. Damn this film is going to be awesome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uber-Man)
    Walked passed St. John Street earlier (5min from uni) and saw a bunch of S.W.A.T. trucks and American style cop cars with ‘Gotham Police Department’ written on the side for the filming of The Dark Knight Rises. Damn this film is going to be awesome!
    NIIIIIICE :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uber-Man)
    they re filming it in London? How cool, you should taken some pics dude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    they re filming it in London? How cool, you should taken some pics dude
    It appears they are using the Farmiloe Building as Gotham Police Department, the signs state they are filming for atleast the next week so I will pop down again over the next few days hoping to catch a glimpse of some serious action. I assume being Batman it will get lively in the evening, will have to get some shots next time i pop down

(Original post by Jace Falco)
    Which ones did you get? Only ones I've read with him in a prominent role are Red Son, Kingdom Come and Trinity.
    Red Son and Kingdom Come. I've just been reading reviews on the 'Death of Superman' series. They seem relatively mixed. This graphic novel and comics business is messy. You see one series, and then you spot another.

First Tintin trailer:

The animation looks really good. A noticeable lack of females though.

(Original post by channy)
    13 Assassins is pretty ****ing good.
    Relatively underhyped too. :yep:

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    Tree of Life is heavily dividing audiences and critics at Cannes, then...
    Might be one of those films which are appreciated more a few years down the line. Guardian seems to have really liked it.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Strangers Tides seems to be getting mixed reviews as well. Not surprising, to be honest. And it will still do well, no matter how much critics slate it. The general consensus is that it's less of a mess than it's predecessors, and the Will and Elizabeth dull dynamic seems to have been replaced by a weaker duo.

First Tintin trailer:

At first glance, I'm not too impressed. Not a huge lot to go on, though.

Might be one of those films which are appreciated more a few years down the line. Guardian seems to have really liked it.
    That is a distinct possibility. I'm looking forward to seeing it. I saw the Guardian review as well; they also mention We Need to Talk About Kevin and The Artist as films from this year's selection that they loved. The latter two were apparently better received by audiences too, and seem to be the current frontrunners for the Palme d'Or. Melancholia was being touted as a possible winner, so I'm interested to see how it fares.

ReputationRep:
    Red Son and Kingdom Come. I've just been reading reviews on the 'Death of Superman' series. They seem relatively mixed. This graphic novel and comics business is messy. You see one series, and then you spot another.
    Yeah, the storylines have been carried for so long, and retconned so many times, that it's quite hard to keep up! I've not been reading much superhero stuff lately, except for a few weeklies and monthlies.

ReputationRep:
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Strangers Tides seems to be getting mixed reviews as well. Not surprising, to be honest. And it will still do well, no matter how much critics slate it. The general consensus is that it's less of a mess than it's predecessors, and the Will and Elizabeth dull dynamic seems to have been replaced by a weaker duo.
    Hopefully still worth the IMAX 3D for it though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
    Hopefully still worth the IMAX 3D for it though!
    Johnny Depp can't see it in 3D therefore neither will I :fyi:

Real reason is that i'm too poor to see it in 3D and never see it worth the extra when i can afford it

ReputationRep:
    Johnny Depp can't see it in 3D therefore neither will I :fyi:

Real reason is that i'm too poor to see it in 3D and never see it worth the extra when i can afford it
    Why can't he?

(I'm going Orange Wednesdays with a friend to split the money making it less than a normal size 2D showing!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
    Why can't he?

(I'm going Orange Wednesdays with a friend to split the money making it less than a normal size 2D showing!)
    He has what he calls 'a weird eye' meaning he can't see the 3D effects.

There are a fair few conditions that mean people can't see 3D and Johnny Depp just happens to have one of them.

ReputationRep:
    He has what he calls 'a weird eye' meaning he can't see the 3D effects.

There are a fair few conditions that mean people can't see 3D and Johnny Depp just happens to have one of them.
    Shame :/

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.