Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I will be applying for 2012 undergrad entry and I REALLYYYYY want to go to KCL.
    I know they balance UKCAT against your GCSE grades (as mentioned on their entry requirements page).

I got 8 A*s and 2 As at GCSE (My two As were maths and french)

So people who applied there and have got an offer,what sort of GCSEs did you have and what was ur UKCAT score?

I'm the sort of guy who works really hard for exams and this whole "aptitude" UKCAT hype is really bugging me.

I know I will need quite a high UKCAT :rolleyes: but any guesses what I should be aiming for?
    obviously will be trying my best

Thanks guys
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Have a look at this page here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...College_London

Kings balance the UKCAT score against GCSE's - a higher score in one will offset a low score in another. Since you have 8 A*, I think in my opinion that a score of around a 700ish should guarantee you an interview. However, you need to bear in mind that the UKCAT required changes year-on-year depending on competition, so there is a still a chance that even with 700+ you would not be successful in getting an interview.

ReputationRep:
    last year it was 675, but there is anecdotal evidence that some people with strong grades got it with less than that
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by rudyrabbit)
    last year it was 675, but there is anecdotal evidence that some people with strong grades got it with less than that
    I don't understand how there can be a figure published? :confused: The individual UKCAT score required is personal and depends on a person's number of A*'s at GCSE - am I missing something?!

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview this year with 9 A*s and a ukcat of 640

although if you look at the kcl thread for this year, interviews don't always seem to have been given out on these two things. For one many better qualified applicants than myself have still heard nothing.

Take from that what you will.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by wabbajack123)
    I had an interview this year with 9 A*s and a ukcat of 640

although if you look at the kcl thread for this year, interviews don't always seem to have been given out on these two things. For one many better qualified applicants than myself have still heard nothing.

As in people with a higher number of A*'s and a higher UKCAT not heard/have received rejections?

Uh oh! :eek:

ReputationRep:

So what do you think were the additional criterea? any guesses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    As in people with a higher number of A*'s and a higher UKCAT not heard/have received rejections?

Yep it's all seeming rather desolate over there atm, many many people have withdrawn out of sheer impatience haha I on the other hand seem to be the only person to have been rejected post interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwesomeAkhilesh)
    So what do you think were the additional criterea? any guesses?
    t'is a mystery I'm afraid although with a 30% rise in admissions this year for medicine, who can be surprised that it's a bit... random :/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yep it's all seeming rather desolate over there atm, many many people have withdrawn out of sheer impatience haha I on the other hand seem to be the only person to have been rejected post interview
    Birmingham looking for more than just 9 A*'s.... King's looking for more than A*/UKCAT... I don't know what to think anymore... :no:

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the help guys
    true,the admission's process seems to be a bit manic!
    just hope i pull through during my cycle! haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Birmingham looking for more than just 9 A*'s.... King's looking for more than A*/UKCAT... I don't know what to think anymore... :no:
    it's a strange strange world nowadays. Maybes it's just because of the drastic rise in applicants? It might go back to normal next year

ReputationRep:
    A student at my school (now: 1st year at GKT) had 100% A* at GCSE and 600 UKCAT.

I think you'll do fine as long as you get 650+ (probably even less ... but preferably more, just in case) :P

ReputationRep:
    it's a strange strange world nowadays. Maybes it's just because of the drastic rise in applicants? It might go back to normal next year
    Normal? This is normal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notepad)
    Normal? This is normal
    very true I detest what A100 has done to me this year

ReputationRep:
    I have the same grades as OP, funnily enough my A's were in Maths and French too :p:

I have a UKCAT of 665 and currently nothing from Kings. I would say either a UKCAT of 700+ or 9A* gives you a really good chance of interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)

i know someone with 8A*s and 830 UKCAT, hasnt heard anything from kings

serious
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by bertstare)
    i know someone with 8A*s and 830 UKCAT, hasnt heard anything from kings

serious
    My whole world image is literally falling apart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    830 UKCAT
    humbug!

ReputationRep:
    830 and still waiting.. thats really strange.. But you never know. There might be that one thing on a personal statement or so which put him off... who knows.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 11, 2011

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.