Turn on thread page Beta

Asperger's Syndrome and jobs watch

Announcements

Hi there

Sorry if this question is often asked.

I was wondering if anyone diagnosed with AS could share a little about their experience with employment, more specifically, how employers look at the condition.

I'm curious because I've done a lot of research and it appears very likely that I have Asperger's, though I plan to study medicine next year. I understand that the diagnostic process can take a very long time and often may not work out at all but if I was to get a diagnosis in the future, would it be likely to affect my chances of employment considering there is such a high emphasis on communication within the career?

I'm unsure whether or not to seek a diagnosis. On one hand, it would really help to have that confirmation, an 'answer' but on the other hand, I don't want it to jeapordise something I've worked very hard for.

I will be very grateful for any replies,
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    i just dont tell employers i have aspergers, although i think it becomes apparent after ive somehow managed to milk the interview stage- lol. i dont think you're legally required to tell employers about it, plus the support you might get from diagnosis could be useful

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to disclose a diagnosis for regular jobs, but I'm not sure about medicine. However, if you satisfy them at interview that you can communicate as well as a doctor would have to, I'd imagine this would be fine. They don't want someone who can't communicate with patients, but if you can do so, having AS wouldn't mean they'd reject you out-of-hand.

With employment generally, I've always disclosed my AS; I find that it means I'll be considered equally in the interview even if I don't make eye contact etc. It also lets them check the 'disability' box on their employee demographics list, which can't hurt them :awesome:

Bear in mind that seeking a diagnosis can be a long and complex process, though - mine took 5 hours talking to a psychiatrist. It's worth doing because of the legal rights it gives you, but it's not as simple as popping to your GP for a few minutes.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine doesn't disclose his diagnosis voluntarily- though he's in Computing, and that isn't the most communicative of careers... =/

And like you said, in medicine communication is pretty integral. However, he has managed to get jobs both disclosing his diagnosis and without.

From a completely uneducated point of view, I'd say get your diagnosis and disclose it where you feel it relevant. I do the same with my deafness [profoundly deaf in one ear] - I only disclose it where I feel it matters. My college doesn't know, my job does [I work in customer service so it's pretty essential] and I put it on my uni application. I got the diagnosis and it put my mind at rest. I could officially say I had something wrong with me if I needed to, as opposed to wondering and never being able to get the support, even if I really needed it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.