Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, can you please stop hating and negging? I linked to a petition to stop the euthanization of unclaimed animals in Japan, obviously that wasn't very popular with the users on here. Sorry for being such a bleeding heart, but the hate is unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    source?

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of source and whether this is true or not- does it matter? If those pets' owners have died, can you truly expect the state to look after them just because they're cute ickle animals? Plus, most people don't even have a house, let alone cat food. As harsh as it seems, it's probably for the best.

ReputationRep:
    What would you rather do, let the animals starve to death instead? Fact is most of their former owners are either dead, or have evacuated and wont be back any time soon.

It is far kinder to euthanise them than to let them suffer an awful death. At the moment the government simply does not have the time, money, nor resources to be housing and feeding tens of thousands of stray pets.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bella Occhi)
    ‘Japanese animal holding centres in and around the disaster areas have announced in this bulletin that all pets who are not claimed within 72 hours will be ‘disposed’ of (gassed).’

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/unc...2hrs-in-japan/

Please read. Please sign. Please tell people. We’re running out of time.

Can you not at least see why? Supplies are short for people at the moment let alone pets.

ReputationRep:
    That's really sad
    but there isn't a lot we can do.

ReputationRep:
    It is sad, but it's probably kinder than letting them starve to death and the focus really has to be on rescuing people and stuff

ReputationRep:
    there's not a lot we can do.. but still.. poor forgotten about little things

ReputationRep:
    Aw :sad:

ReputationRep:
    So they're supposed to value the lives of pets over the lives of humans? :curious:

I'm all for supporting the RSPCA but come on....

ReputationRep:
    R.I.P. Animals

ReputationRep:
    Why would they gas them? Surely it would make it dangerous to eat the dogs then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    What would you rather do, let the animals starve to death instead? Fact is most of their former owners are either dead, or have evacuated and wont be back any time soon.
    Bingo.

As usual, a bunch of people blinded by their opinions and getting all pissy at those that are genuinely acting for the best. Huzzah.

ReputationRep:
    I signed I don't want them to do it I want a pet.

ReputationRep:
    Sad but that's how it's gotta be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern1456)
    I signed I don't want them to do it I want a pet.
    Go over there and ask for one of the spares then?

ReputationRep:
    Even as a big animal lover I can understand why. Just wish they'd use a method other than gassing which while deemed "acceptable" by a report causes significant distress and pain to the animals.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you are unbelievably selfish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisnew)
    Even as a big animal lover I can understand why. Just wish they'd use a method other than gassing which while deemed "acceptable" by a report causes significant distress and pain to the animals.
    I suspect it's because they can't use the gases to help the Japanese people. It may not be perfect but it's better than letting them starve.

ReputationRep:
    15,000+ have died.

I don't give a damn about the pets.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.