Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just a post to see who else may have had these sort of problems and any advice or anything that helped you.

I've recently sought help for an ED and have been seeing a counsellor for a month and a half now and had blood tests done and thankfully they came back all negative. I have grown quite close to a teacher (who i told in the first place) who comes with me to my appointments and sort of bridges the gap sometimes when i withdraw when talking to the counsellor.

Ever since i sought help for it i have grown increasingly paranoid and worried, everything seems to be stressing me out. My parents are aware of my problem however i don't involve them in my treatment so i constantly feel like they are following me around and watching me, i've found out they quiz my siblings on what i do / eat which is driving me mad.

When i get stressed or have to talk about it i tend to withdraw or become increasingly anxious. I get really on edge and constantly check exits and over my shoulder and jump at every noise. My hands start to shake and i tend to tap my left leg uncontrollably, I get really hot and come out in almost a heat rash and get sweaty palms. My muscles tense and i hold a lot of tension in my jaw which i click when i get this nervous / stressed.

- Is this an anxiety attack? I sometimes crash quite badly and become a bit light headed after if its prolonged.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    it could be panic attack, we don't know really, personally i would say increased rate of breathing and being short of breath would be a main symptom of an attack, but i don't know, it might not be essential. Have you seen a doctor? They could prescribe something for when you get really anxious. and ahh i lost my train of thought! Make sure you speak to your counselor about the anxiety

ReputationRep:
    It sounds typical of an anxiety attack, and developing the 'fight or flight' response (sympathetic overdrive). I would definately talk it over with your GP and counsellor, to try and get strategies to reduce the attack frequency/severity (either with stress reduction tactics, or even medications if necessary)

ReputationRep:
    I have had terrible amxiety since childhood but over the last few years it has gradual;ly decreased .I have found that intensive excersise such as kickboxing and boxing helps .Also Bikram yoga.Talk about with somenone you completely trust and non judgemental.

ReputationRep:
    I've had anxiety since childhood - built up and has hit a peak now that I'm nineteen. Getting CBT to help, have just been prescribed anti anxiety tablets and am being reffered for pyschology in a year's time. Exercise and a healthy diet is supposed to help (in my case, I'm frightened of exercise so it's not great) but if you can do it, it might make a difference Maybe talk it over with your GP and/or counsellor for some advice, before it gets much worse - I've had it to the extent that I'm too scared to leave my house, I wouldn't wish feeling like that on anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah anxiety can cripple your life . Over-thinking , over-anylysing , thinking your some thought of freak and your not part of the real world . You just got think theres 6 billion people here on the earth and do you know what there not that much different from me and we are all gonna die in the end anyway so nothing really matters so what am I afraid of . As I said taking your frustrations out on a punchbag is one of the great ways of getting rid of feelings of negativity , its worked for me

It's nice to hear loads of other peoples stories, makes me feel a little less stupid! I do over think a lot and tend to think irrationally as i wind myself up. I did have a stress ball thing which i destroyed in a month as I'm quite fidgety, i have a habit of picking the cuts/scabs on my hand from falling over a month ago.

ReputationRep:
    Get into the habbit of blasting the hell out of a punchbag every other day and you wont be picking any scabs no more .Create a new positive habit , its hard at first but once you get into it youl become obsessed but it will be a healthy obsession and at the same time youl get fit , your confidence will increase thus improving your overall mental health.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.