Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry in advance for such the long post, but I'd really appreciate it if you could read through it and help me out.

I've always dreamed of making lots of money, and I've always been motivated by earning money, whether it's been by selling sweets in school or doing things online- I'm always trying to think about ways to make money.

My A level options were previously Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Physics, which opened up lots of opportunities for making good money in the financial sector, e.g. to do with banking or accountancy. However, I'm doing Geography at GCSE, and I don't enjoy it at all, even though it contains some economics, so I was worried that I'd find economics boring at A Level.

So, I changed my options to the three sciences and maths, as this opens up everything in the scientific area for when I go to university. However, I don't really like Chemistry, and I know that medicine doesn't always pay very well (or at least when you're young). I want to do a job I enjoy, that pays well.

I just don't know what to do: ideally, I'd like to do Further Maths, Ethics and Philosophy, Biology and Physics at A level, but I know this isn't a very good combination, as Biology needs Chemistry for most medical jobs, and it'll be hard to find a really well paying job with this combination.

If I do the three sciences at A level, and then decide I want to do economics at A level, will I be disadvantaged when applying against someone who has done the A level? I know you don't have to do the A level to do it at university, but I don't know whether this is a 'read between the lines' message, and that I should.

I suppose I don't have an actual specific question - just generally, what do you think I should do, in terms of subject combination at A level, and what those could lead to in later life?

Sorry again for the long post, but thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    As to your last point about doing Economics at uni, many top uni's prefer you to have traditional subject at A-Level like all the sciences and maths.

But most importantly do something you enjoy! You may be motivated by money, but if you do a degree or job you don't like, no amount of money will make it worthwhile. Another option is to start your own business, then you don't necessarily need to go to uni at all. If you're motivated by money, spending thousands and thousands at university might not be a good thing.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by jd123)

My A level options were previously Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Physics, which opened up lots of opportunities for making good money in the financial sector, e.g. to do with banking or accountancy. However, I'm doing Geography at GCSE, and I don't enjoy it at all, even though it contains some economics, so I was worried that I'd find economics boring at A Level.
    Geography GCSE has nothing to do with A level Economics. You shouldn't dismiss Economics because you don't enjoy Geography. If you want to do any financial based career, Economics is one of the most valuable A levels you can take, after Maths.

(Original post by jd123)
    So, I changed my options to the three sciences and maths, as this opens up everything in the scientific area for when I go to university. However, I don't really like Chemistry, and I know that medicine doesn't always pay very well (or at least when you're young). I want to do a job I enjoy, that pays well.
    You may want a job that pays well, but you need a job that you can do for up to 48 years. Can you study enough chemistry to gain a medical degree and can you then do as much chemistry as is required in a medical career (likely to be very little in many branches)?

(Original post by jd123)
    I just don't know what to do: ideally, I'd like to do Further Maths, Ethics and Philosophy, Biology and Physics at A level, but I know this isn't a very good combination, as Biology needs Chemistry for most medical jobs, and it'll be hard to find a really well paying job with this combination.
    It's not a bad combination, take a look at what degrees you can do with that combination. Possibly not medicine, but I'm not sure you would be completely discounted, look up a few university entry requirements for medicine.

(Original post by jd123)
    If I do the three sciences at A level, and then decide I want to do economics at A level, will I be disadvantaged when applying against someone who has done the A level? I know you don't have to do the A level to do it at university, but I don't know whether this is a 'read between the lines' message, and that I should.
    If you aren't doing A level Economics because you think GCSE Geography has shown you that you won't like it, why would you still want to do it at university (which is I presume, what you mean).

Work out what A levels you need to take to keep your Medicine options open. See if you can work Economics into the mix, which then gives you the options to go for Medicine or Economics at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Geography GCSE has nothing to do with A level Economics. You shouldn't dismiss Economics because you don't enjoy Geography. If you want to do any financial based career, Economics is one of the most valuable A levels you can take, after Maths.

You may want a job that pays well, but you need a job that you can do for up to 48 years. Can you study enough chemistry to gain a medical degree and can you then do as much chemistry as is required in a medical career (likely to be very little in many branches)?

It's not a bad combination, take a look at what degrees you can do with that combination. Possibly not medicine, but I'm not sure you would be completely discounted, look up a few university entry requirements for medicine.

If you aren't doing A level Economics because you think GCSE Geography has shown you that you won't like it, why would you still want to do it at university (which is I presume, what you mean).

Work out what A levels you need to take to keep your Medicine options open. See if you can work Economics into the mix, which then gives you the options to go for Medicine or Economics at Uni.
    The only reason I'd then do economics at university would be because I realised that I didn't have as much of an interest in the sciences as I thought i would. I suppose I could swap Physics with economics, but I've always wanted to do physics because I find it interesting - but thank you for mentioning that; I don't know why I didnt think of it before! I suppose i just need to find out more about physics and economics and decide which would be better.

Anyone here got views on either AQA Syllabus B Physics a level and Edexcel Economics?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.