Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

nail varnish base coat alternative watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i've run out! is there anything i can use as an alternative? i read somewhere that i can apply top coat underneath the colour as well as on top as a substitue but it sounds a bit dubious...
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't recommend that, it's very slick so the varnish doesn't adhere very well to it and can chip much faster. Collection 2000 base coat is very cheap (£2.79) and perfectly good; it also looks alright on its own as a natural pinkish colour polish .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsAnnThropic)
    I don't recommend that, it's very slick so the varnish doesn't adhere very well to it and can chip much faster. Collection 2000 base coat is very cheap (£2.79) and perfectly good; it also looks alright on its own as a natural pinkish colour polish .
    I was kind of planning on painting them tonight

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes use a very pale pink/taupe colour if i've run out of base coat. It's okay if youre painting them over in a dark colour.

ReputationRep:
    I never use a base or top coat. My nails haven't fallen off yet.

ReputationRep:
    You can put on nail varnish without a base coat - it's fine. It's only a little bit tricky if you're using a dark colour - there are lots of yellow pigments in the dark ones so if you leave a purple/blue on for a long time without a base coat it will stain your nails yellow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j_a_z_z)
    I was kind of planning on painting them tonight
    Ahhh, sorry I'm tired, I thought you were talking about expense! In that case don't worry if it's only once - unless you're using black/dark purple it's very unlikely to stain your nails. I wear bright red without base coat most of the time without incident because I'm lazy, and the only time my nails ever went funny was when I used a VERY dark indigo colour!

ReputationRep:
    Ive never used a base coat, and have used dark colours etc. My nails are still fin and a natural colour.....

ReputationRep:
    I never paint my nails without base coat, it'd just feel wrong! Plus it = massive staining times. I used to paint my toenails without base coat years ago, and it'd take forever and ever for the colour to come out.

I tend to use the same clear polish as a basecoat and topcoat - but if I'm using a really glossy topcoat, I'll use a more matt basecoat (eg. Diamond Shine by Sally Hansen is a great topcoat, but I'll use a cheap clear polish as basecoat because you don't want it too shiny if you're putting colour on top).

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.