The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by russellwallace
Because you are repeating your A levels that will have a knockon to any applications. You would be applying for undergraduate medicine as a repeat A level candidate (because that's all the qualifications you would have). It is likely that most medical schools will not consider you. They will probably insist that you apply during our final year of your degree so they can give you a conditional offer based on you getting a 2.1 etc. In other words entering medicine as a graduate. This is what the OP has done. He has a 2.1 in Biology. I don't know of anywhere that will consider you part way through a degree course (except in your final year) for entry into medicine. Especially as you will have done A levels over 3 years.
Sorry, but I think you have very limited options unless your "certain circumstances" are well documented serious medical/family based extenuating ones.

response above ^^
You say that but i believe the application process is also a strike of luck too, so theres no harm in her applying again in her first year if she got her 3 A's. I know a few people who did this and left their course to join first year med. It happens, but you need the grades.
Original post by ambitious19
You say that but i believe the application process is also a strike of luck too, so theres no harm in her applying again in her first year if she got her 3 A's. I know a few people who did this and left their course to join first year med. It happens, but you need the grades.

If their results are AAA then I agree. But, from the post it would appear not as poster specifically says resitting some to get AAA. That means resits of A levels outside the 2 years and therefore big issues
Because you are repeating your A levels that will have a knockon to any applications. You would be applying for undergraduate medicine as a repeat A level candidate (because that's all the qualifications you would have). It is likely that most medical schools will not consider you. They will probably insist that you apply during our final year of your degree so they can give you a conditional offer based on you getting a 2.1 etc. In other words entering medicine as a graduate. This is what the OP has done. He has a 2.1 in Biology. I don't know of anywhere that will consider you part way through a degree course (except in your final year) for entry into medicine. Especially as you will have done A levels over 3 years.
Sorry, but I think you have very limited options unless your "certain circumstances" are well documented serious medical/family based extenuating ones.

Yeah I get what you're saying, resitting my exams during a gap yr will obviously give me an advantage over students that are just coming out of 2yrs of Alevels & so I won't be considered for undergrad med. I have spoken to my form tutor about mentioning family circumstances in my reference, long story short the deadline for undergrad has gone which is why I'm now going to go with trying to get into Bradford, since they allow those with a 1st to transfer to Leeds med. If I get into the other 2, I will do as you said, apply during my final yr of the degree for either under/postgrad med with hopefully a 1st or 2:1. The ones I know of that allow transfer from Biomedical science to undergrad Med after 1st yr are University of Sheffield, Newcastle & St. George (London) - probably a few more out there, (for anyone who's interested), but these are the ones I've read on. Thank you for your time Russel:smile:
Immensely sorry for the late reply. I know you would have made your decision by now since its early November.
In my experience, having a degree does not benefit you when you apply for the undergrad courses, as they are looking at your experiences.
As with grad entry, i didn't apply to any, as the statistics scared me. But if you play it right, of course everyone has a chance. By play it right i mean get 1st or 2:1, get extra experience, most importantly smash the UKCAT as the universities rank you according to that mostly, and then smash the interview. It's more difficult in my opinion.
Did you get your A-level grades back? If you got A's, what would have stopped you from applying to med again and taking another gap year?
I would have said, start the other courses (ideally the Clinical sciences at Bradford and ace the year so that you get direct entry!). If you got 3 A's in your gap year, apply to medicine again this year, to start first year med next year. If you don't get an offer, you're going to have to apply in second year again. The universities you pick are crucial. They are all competitive but some (e.g. Kings college) are just not worth pursuing unless you have an amazing UKCAT. I cant explain how important your UKCAT grade is. You really need to be getting 700's to secure an interview, as most universities put a lot of weight on that. Just keep practicing!! I would say 4 months minimum to increase speed etc.
Hope it works out for you. I can advise you when applying for different schools if you like.
Let me know what decisions you made! H x

Hi H! No your reply wasn't late at all, I posted original post to you last night (I was expecting the replies to take ages) so thank you for replying so quick. I haven't resat my exams yet, & so hopefully by August 2015 (results day) I will get my grades - aiming for 3 A's. I agree with what you said. I'll hopefully get into Clinical sciences & ace the yr so I get onto the programme. If not then as you said I'll reapply during 2nd yr of Clinical sciences. If not then my hopes will lay in getting into postgrad med. The universities I'm hoping to apply for med would ideally be Uni. of Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds & Nottingham. Last summer I tried an online UKCAT just to see what it is, I didn't even finish it in time. So I'm going to buy the book now & just practice, take my time with it instead of rushing later on during the yr since I'll have my exams to do also. Thank you for your time, how is doing medicine going btw? :tongue: All the best, Mona x
Reply 25
If their results are AAA then I agree. But, from the post it would appear not as poster specifically says resitting some to get AAA. That means resits of A levels outside the 2 years and therefore big issues

Original post by monaaa19
Yeah I get what you're saying, resitting my exams during a gap yr will obviously give me an advantage over students that are just coming out of 2yrs of Alevels & so I won't be considered for undergrad med. I have spoken to my form tutor about mentioning family circumstances in my reference, long story short the deadline for undergrad has gone which is why I'm now going to go with trying to get into Bradford, since they allow those with a 1st to transfer to Leeds med. If I get into the other 2, I will do as you said, apply during my final yr of the degree for either under/postgrad med with hopefully a 1st or 2:1. The ones I know of that allow transfer from Biomedical science to undergrad Med after 1st yr are University of Sheffield, Newcastle & St. George (London) - probably a few more out there, (for anyone who's interested), but these are the ones I've read on. Thank you for your time Russel:smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

Another thing med schools don't like is people planning on dropping out of another degree to start Medicine. There has been mention of a handful that will consider people applying while in their first year, and most will consider people applying while in their final year - apply in the middle, though, and your chances might just as well be worse than if you had applied to a select few med schools with A-levels taken over 3 years.
Hey congrats
Hi, I am currently in my first year of Biomedicine at Lancaster Uni, with the hope of ending up studying Medicine. I was going to do postgraduate medicine following this degree but I am not sure I could fund it and I would like a faster route to what i really want to do as oppose to Biomedicine. I am unsure as to if i should finish this degree and go for post grad med, or drop out after my first year, get experience for a year and apply for undergraduate medicine. Do you have any advice as to what would give me a better chance?

Did you finish your degree at imperial with a 2.1 and then apply for undergrad med? surely you would have to do post grad med as you have a degree?

Glad everything worked out for you :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by hippocrocapig19
Hi, I am currently in my first year of Biomedicine at Lancaster Uni, with the hope of ending up studying Medicine. I was going to do postgraduate medicine following this degree but I am not sure I could fund it and I would like a faster route to what i really want to do as oppose to Biomedicine. I am unsure as to if i should finish this degree and go for post grad med, or drop out after my first year, get experience for a year and apply for undergraduate medicine. Do you have any advice as to what would give me a better chance?

Did you finish your degree at imperial with a 2.1 and then apply for undergrad med? surely you would have to do post grad med as you have a degree?

Glad everything worked out for you :smile:

GEM is still undergrad, not post grad, you just have to have a degree to get on the course. Graduates can choose to do regular 5-year courses if they're in a position to fund them.

I would advise emailing lots of med schools before making a decision to drop out to reapply. Med schools don't tend to like dropouts. Traditionally there has been Student Finance support for graduates doing Medicine courses (tuition + maintenance for GEM, just a lowish rate of maintenance for non-GEM) but this might not be the case by the time you would start, I'm not sure how many years have been guaranteed support at this point.
Reply 29
Original post by Ronove
GEM is still undergrad, not post grad, you just have to have a degree to get on the course. Graduates can choose to do regular 5-year courses if they're in a position to fund them.

I would advise emailing lots of med schools before making a decision to drop out to reapply. Med schools don't tend to like dropouts. Traditionally there has been Student Finance support for graduates doing Medicine courses (tuition + maintenance for GEM, just a lowish rate of maintenance for non-GEM) but this might not be the case by the time you would start, I'm not sure how many years have been guaranteed support at this point.

Just a note on funding for graduates on medicine courses, graduate entry courses are funded reasonably similar to your first degree excluding maintenance grants and requiring approx. £3,500 from your pocket for fees. Graduates on the normal A100 courses will find no support for tuition fees and a smaller maintenance loan available.

Funding for graduates on the GEM courses are guaranteed for 2015 entry but nothing for definite any further on. 2016 funding is likely and anything beyond is not certain.

GEM courses are also in a precarious situation regarding HEE's wishes to move point of registration with point of graduation.
Reply 30
Hello- sounds like you're doing really well..
I'm actually in the same situation as yourself - finished my a levels but did not get into med school. So I'm going to try your route, did you apply for your biology degree through UCAS or did you just apply via Imperial themselves ?
Thank you - sorry I know it's been a while since you posted this :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Phew
I had no motivation at school and came out with ABBBBBBCCCC at GCSE and ABC at A level. I am now finishing off a Bsc Biology (predicted 2.1/1st) and have applied to GEM, got interviews at Imperial, Swansea and Warwick (got offers from the first 2 and withdrew from my warwick interview). I had a good UKCAT (732 or something) and decent GAMSAT (61). While the grades and test are all hurdles to overcome they are very doable and the real differentiating factor is the work experience/PS (maybe use your 2nd language to do some work experience abroad - i did something similar). The competition for GEM is massive as people have had far longer to build up experience and with most courses having far fewer places. Moral of the story, your grades are no problem what so ever, but as is the case with most applicants, the grades are the least of their worries.

Hi, I know I'm very late in posting a reply to this but happened to come across this thread and thought it worth a shot…

Anyway, may I ask what A-Levels you sat (i.e. did you have A Level Chemistry), and what kind of work experience you had? I am also hoping to apply to Uni's that use UKCAT and GAMSAT and am nervous about sitting both exams within the same year… I guess it can be done? Do you have any advice on this? Thanks :smile:!
Reply 32
Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to reply. Three years on i just wanted to update you all on what happened with my situation:

*Entered Biology degree at Imperial after my first year (did not lose out on a year) and completed there with a 2.1
*Applied for Medicine in my 2nd year, and applied for four undergraduate courses at King's College London, Brighton and Sussex, Cardiff university and University of East Anglia. I chickened out on applying for grad entry after seeing the statistics! But i kind of wish i had since i'm having to pay so much for the undergrad degree (£9k/year!!).
*I only got one offer from UEA!!! And i took it :smile: Just finished my first year and its going well! I love the uni and the course!! Only problem is being in a year group of younger students (most are my brothers age- 18!) and it does dull you down a bit, but because most people are mature, it also doesn't matter that much sometimes.

Feel free to ask for any advice on the application process for aspiring medics!

Sorry to revive a dead thread but is it ok in the near future I pm you to ask for advice? I might have to retake some A2s and apply for biomed to do grad route
Hi everyone

I am a final year Graduate Entry Medical student. Happy to answer any questions you may have about the application and interview process!

Gradumed
Original post by Gradumed
Hi everyone

I am a final year Graduate Entry Medical student. Happy to answer any questions you may have about the application and interview process!

Gradumed

Hello Gradumed, just wanted to ask which universities you applied for, what was ukcat (if you don't mind), and your work experience. I will be applying for medicine this year so any help will be appreciated :smile:
Hi, I just have one question, if I have a Bacherol Degree in Biomedical Sciences Master Degree post gradution 50 traning/seminars courses 12 work exprience years in Hospitals. Do I need to do/have A levels? I don't understand what they mean with A levels? I finished my Bacherol Degree 12 years ago, all my degrees have in total almost 50 modules, all sciences related. My score is Bs Honours 2:1 but I dont my equivalences for A levels because my degree is from Portugal. Can someone help me, please?I havd done UKCAT test but my scorr was not grate. There is dome way that I could get into with all my experience and degrees?Many thanks if you could help me!
Original post by monaaa19
First of all congratulations on getting into med :h::h:, hope you get through it with flying colours! I'm in a similar situation you were in 3yrs ago however my grades are my major drawback due to certain circumstances. I'm currently on my gap yr, finished Alevels last yr & gaining work exp. by working with children (teacher) & will start hospital volunteering placement in a few weeks. I'm retaking some exams to get the AAA & currently in the process of applying to UCAS for a BioMed degree at Sheffield, Medical sciences degree at Leeds, Clinical sciences degree at Bradford. Clinical sciences allows those who get a 1st in their 1st yr to transfer to first yr of the undergrad. medicine course at Leeds. The other 2 I hope to apply as you did, individually. My question is, do I apply during my first yr of the course (so by October 2015) or do I wait till I complete my 1st yr and apply during second yr - meaning I will complete yr2 of the course before theoretically speaking, transferring to 1st yr med? If I don't get accepted after applying while doing the undergrad degree in either of the 3 courses I mentioned, I hope to apply to postgrad med, which is immensely competitive as I hear but it'll be worth a shot. I know medicine is all I ever want to do, I tried to have a change of heart during the summer holiday, kind of try to settle for less but I just couldn't. I can't help but think of the regret I would feel 10yrs down the line, doing something health related but thinking 'what if' I had done this or what if I had done post grad med. I would move away & trying to get into med some other country, (as if I can afford either the living expenses or tuition fees independently). I guess my doubt is that what if all fails & I'm stuck with a degree that I can't do what I've always wanted to. That's what my dads tells me whenever we talk about applying, which is right. He wants me to have a backup but my backup is postgrad med. Lmao I'm scared, like what if it's not meant to be but I only realise it after I'm done with uni. Then again I can't seem to think why I'd want something so bad for so long, only to not get it, you know? Ugh this is hurting my brain :frown: , but thanks for your time, any advice is appreciated xxx

hi did you get into medicine with retaking your a levels or did you do graduate entry?

Latest

Trending

Trending