Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    All the time I'm reading and hearing about a no-fly zone potentially being imposed on Libya, and I have no idea what it actually is? What are its pros/cons and the implications it would have?

ReputationRep:
    Basically means Gadaffi can't go any more ape**** than he already has done and continue bombing his own civilians with his air force.

ReputationRep:
    It means no flights apart from humanitarian are allowed over Libya. It also gives UN forces the right to decommission any anti-aircraft weapons, or any ground forces that are a threat to their planes, and also the right to use force if gadaffis army makes movement towards benghazi or don't pull back from other areas Barack Obama listed in his ultimatum earlier, I can't remember.

ReputationRep:
    Pity we can't impose a no fly zone on Israel when they send aircraft to bomb Palestinians.

ReputationRep:
    If any flights apart from sanctioned ones (humanitarian or ones enforcing the No-fly) fly inside Libyan airspace they are ordered to leave and if they don't then they get lit up like a christmass tree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CODKING)
    Pity we can't impose a no fly zone on Israel when they send aircraft to bomb Palestinians.
    spot on

same for bahrain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sixthformer)
    spot on

same for bahrain
    Yeah. It's a bit of a shame that we tend to pretend nothing happening until something really serious happens because they are convenient allies (except Israel obviously - they could drop a nuclear bomb on Gaza and we'd send a letter asking them politely not to do it again!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sixthformer)
    spot on

same for bahrain
    Oh no! We will both now be accused of being anti-semitic holocaust denying loons. I'm already a target for mossad but there's still time to save yourself. Run for it. xx

ReputationRep:
    OK, forget Godwin's Law as we know it, I swear that every thread on TSR, especially within the debate section, eventually degenerates into some stupid argument about Palestine and Israel.

Unless you are actually a professor emeritus of history at a major university with an informed opinion on 60 years of modern conflict and the 1500 previous years of context, then piss right off. Libya is the matter at hand here.

In any case, a no fly zone is where all designated flights (in this case, all non-humanitarian flights) are unilaterally banned across the airspace of a region or nation, in this case Libya, and whilst many no small, permanent fly zones exist such as over sensitive military bases around the world, this one extends across the entirety of Libya with the purpose of defending civilians from air and artillery strikes rather than preventing unauthorised flights over airbases. This will be enforced by NATO and Arab militaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    OK, forget Godwin's Law as we know it, I swear that every thread on TSR eventually degenerates into some stupid argument about Palestine and Israel.

Unless you are actually a professor emeritus of history at a major university with an informed opinion on 60 years of modern conflict and the 1500 previous years of context, then piss right off. Libya is the matter at hand here.
    No-fly zone is the title chaver. So references to Iraq, Bosnia etc. are legit. I assume you're another apologist for Murder Incorporated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    OK, forget Godwin's Law as we know it, I swear that every thread on TSR eventually degenerates into some stupid argument about Palestine and Israel.

no but you see Israel is the only reason the middle east is so ****ed up. If only Israel wasnt there the middle east would be a happy place with rainbows and flowers! therefore every single conflict in the arab world needs to be linked to the evil imperialist zionists!

even the dictator of Yemen agrees!

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomac...iracy-1.346469

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    No-fly zone is the title chaver. So references to Iraq, Bosnia etc. are legit. I assume you're another apologist for Murder Incorporated?
    Both sides are wrong, and neither is willing to admit it. That's all I'll say on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloeee!)
    All the time I'm reading and hearing about a no-fly zone potentially being imposed on Libya, and I have no idea what it actually is? What are its pros/cons and the implications it would have?
    heres a simplified no fly zone and the implications.

1: After much favour-buying and pratting about they, the politicians tell the airforce and navy to get their **** together and en-circle a country's borders.

2: The country is then told "you fly or move tanks, you're gonna get raped", this wont happen as the US of As president has low ratings with the people so rather than doing what they normally do, they just shoot a few turkeys on the range near the enemy and say "thats you".

3: After much hassle and boredom someone fires a rocket at a US/Fench ship and either of the three options will be available;

- US ship gets sunk: prepare for more bombing raids than the whole of WW1, 2 and then 3 put together, no a$shole is left un-scathed

-French ship gets sunk: French wouldn't be anywhere near the area of danger, its in their blood

-British ship gets sunk: What british ship? We haven't got any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Yeah. It's a bit of a shame that we tend to pretend nothing happening until something really serious happens because they are convenient allies (except Israel obviously - they could drop a nuclear bomb on Gaza and we'd send a letter asking them politely not to do it again!).
    You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today! :sad:

ReputationRep:
    The U.S wouldn't like that. Not in their interests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
    heres a simplified no fly zone and the implications.

1: After much favour-buying and pratting about they, the politicians tell the airforce and navy to get their **** together and en-circle a country's borders.

2: The country is then told "you fly or move tanks, you're gonna get raped", this wont happen as the US of As president has low ratings with the people so rather than doing what they normally do, they just shoot a few turkeys on the range near the enemy and say "thats you".

3: After much hassle and boredom someone fires a rocket at a US/Fench ship and either of the three options will be available;

- US ship gets sunk: prepare for more bombing raids than the whole of WW1, 2 and then 3 put together, no a$shole is left un-scathed

-French ship gets sunk: French wouldn't be anywhere near the area of danger, its in their blood

-British ship gets sunk: What british ship? We haven't got any.
    I'm pretty sure we still have a couple of armed fishing trawlers ready and waiting for service :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    There's already a thread on this I think but to answer your question it prevents Gaddafi's forces from using aircraft to bomb ground targets/civilians or bring in more troops/weaponry.

(Original post by Balagan)
    no but you see Israel is the only reason the middle east is so ****ed up. If only Israel wasnt there the middle east would be a happy place with rainbows and flowers! therefore every single conflict in the arab world needs to be linked to the evil imperialist zionists!

even the dictator of Yemen agrees!

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomac...iracy-1.346469

:facepalm2:
    Instead of build a massive strawman have you actually contributed anything to the discussion? Someone criticised Israel's bombing of Palestinian civilians and you play the "let's pretend they said they want the destruction of Israel and everything bad in the Arab world is because of Zionists" game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    I'm pretty sure we still have a couple of armed fishing trawlers ready and waiting for service :rolleyes:
    Too late, Somalis took em.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    The U.S wouldn't like that. Not in their interests.
    Bleh, foiled again! I thought I'd got away with it this time. Who sent you?

ReputationRep:
    Bleh, foiled again! I thought I'd got away with it this time. Who sent you?
    The Russians, who else?

(Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
    Too late, Somalis took em.
    Damn those Somalis.

Our 'sound guns' didn't work then? :rolleyes:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...385048,00.html

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.