Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I really want to go to University (which would be a triumph in itself) and just leave my old life behind. I want to have plastic surgery (only one procedure) to fix what's wrong with me, change my name, go to University and never see them again; alas this is never to be. Once changing my name I'd have to provided evidence of my name change because school's references would be for another person, and A Level certificates also. I'll never get a job straight out of uni so will have to go back and live with them and I'll end up stuck there forever more.

Part of me thinks it's somewhat my right to do what I like and just live my own life in whatever way I want to, but the larger half tells me that I should remain unhappy and in their life because it's almost my duty.

What do you think about the second paragraph and what could I do to overcome the things in the first?

ReputationRep:
    sounds like you need to lose your virginity

Bump (Why the hell does it take so long for a mod to approve a response?!)

ReputationRep:
    Why do you hate your family so much? :s

(Original post by Implo)
    Why do you hate your family so much? :s
    That's immaterial, but for everything they've done to me over the years; bullying both physically and mentally, but more mentally. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    That's immaterial, but for everything they've done to me over the years; bullying both physically and mentally, but more mentally. That's just the tip of the iceberg.
    You don't need to change your name, and you wont have to move back in with them after uni. I left home at 16 for similar reasons to yours, couch surfed for a while with friends and ending up living with my girlfriend at the time and paying her parents rent with the part time job I had.

When I got to uni I found jobs as soon as I could, got two and I pay for myself completely (apart from the loan), no grants and no parental interference. I live in Bristol where i'm at uni all year round and only go back to Hampshire to visit old friends. After uni I'll stay in bristol working minimum wage until I get enough to go travelling and find another job.

If you really apply yourself its do-able, anyone can get a minumum wage job, I handed round 340 CVs in total in the space of two weeks and I got two replys, its just about determination.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    University is a good oppitunity to live your own life.
    It's also a mental break being so far away and having limited contact. It really has been a relief.
    Just do what i did, move 300 miles away for Uni. Only contact is phone calls and you can turn your phone off.

As for changing your name, not sure it's that complicated. Especially if you're 18. I've had my name changed quite a few time with ease...but then I was in refuges due to an abusive parent, so was probably much easier at the time.

ReputationRep:
    go to university get bullied further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KNOB-head)
    sounds like you need to lose your virginity
    lool this made me laugh bare, kinda the first thing i thought as i was readin it :ninja: dont even know why :lol:

__

and OP if someones really pushed you to the extent where ur thinking like this, then i guess just do what makes yu happy, time to be all selfish :yep:
    :console:
    and chin up it'll be okay probably just a phase atm?

ReputationRep:
    You dont have to change your name, just move out go to uni, and finance shoudnt be a problem with loans, grants and bursaries.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.