Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ebay - should I be worried? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I use ebay quite a bit for clothes and such but I saw a camera I liked on recently and decided to go for it as it was quite cheap. The user had not put much information about why they were selling and full specification etc so I messaged them on the 15th March asking why they were selling and is the camera still usable. They said they lost their charger but it still works. They replied later the same day. I thought this was okay, and I won an auction for it on the 16th March. They hadn't notified ebay to say that they had posted it yet (when the box icon gets filled in) so I messaged them yesterday to ask if they could message me when they sell it. Now I am worried because they haven't replied yet or said that they have sent it and this was by far my biggest purchase from ebay (nearly £300).

I checked their feedback before and it was 99% - they sold an Xbox and the person said one game didn't work and the console wasn't as clean as they had hoped so that was their only negative feedback. They also sold a PS3 recently with positive feedback. The majority of their buying/selling seems to be some sort of collectible toy called a Munny. I thought I could trust them because of their feedback and their quick reply to my earlier message. But now they haven't replied or said they have sent my camera and because it was so much money I am getting a bit nervous that they might have scammed me.

What do you think I should do? Do you think I am just worried because it was expensive or do you think I have reason to be worried?

TL;DR: spent £300 on ebay and not heard from the seller about when they will send it. Should I be worried?

ReputationRep:
    Its possible that the seller has been busy, not forgetting that they will have full time jobs and other commitments too.
    However, you are right to be concerned. Its a tricky situation. If you don't get a message back in the next day or two, contact ebay.

ReputationRep:
    Did you pay via paypal or credit card? If so you should be protected.

ReputationRep:
    Did you pay by paypal?

ReputationRep:
    What's their feedback scope (as well as the %)? I'd assume that it would have to be fairly high for them to have 99% positive, in which case you're probably okay - though nothing is guaranteed. However, if you paid by PayPal then you should get your money back even if there were to be a problem. Hopefully the seller will have time to reply to you over the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andygcfc)
    Its possible that the seller has been busy, not forgetting that they will have full time jobs and other commitments too.
    However, you are right to be concerned. Its a tricky situation. If you don't get a message back in the next day or two, contact ebay.
    I thought that, I mean it has only been one day. And I know people don't always check the "sent" box when they post your item. My birthday is quite soon and I wanted to be able to take some nice photos of the day, and I am worried that even if the person is legit but send it really late I will have lost out on all the photos I could have taken.

I also just think it is strange seeing as they replied at 11am - one hour after I messaged them on the 15th when I was interested in buying it, but now I have bought it it seems they are less bothered...

(Original post by Delaney)
    Did you pay via paypal or credit card? If so you should be protected.
    (Original post by hasin_arshad)
    Did you pay by paypal?
    Paypal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    What's their feedback scope (as well as the %)? I'd assume that it would have to be fairly high for them to have 99% positive, in which case you're probably okay - though nothing is guaranteed. However, if you paid by PayPal then you should get your money back even if there were to be a problem. Hopefully the seller will have time to reply to you over the weekend.
    127 with 60 as a seller. Thanks for reassuring me, reading back through the feedback other people have mentioned "great communication" and "kept me informed the whole time" and similar things like that so hopefully they were just busy today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatsmyname123)
    I thought that, I mean it has only been one day. And I know people don't always check the "sent" box when they post your item. My birthday is quite soon and I wanted to be able to take some nice photos of the day, and I am worried that even if the person is legit but send it really late I will have lost out on all the photos I could have taken.

I also just think it is strange seeing as they replied at 11am - one hour after I messaged them on the 15th when I was interested in buying it, but now I have bought it it seems they are less bothered...
    I wouldn't try to read too much into it. They may well be full-time employed but with occasional internet access at work, and just have been busy over the past couple of days.

Paypal.
    That helps: http://pages.ebay.co.uk/ebaybuyerprotection/

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the payment hasn't cleared yet?
    Most of the things I buy on ebay, the sellers usually don't contact me about it being dispatched.
    It's only been two days, I wouldn't start worrying yet

ReputationRep:
    No need to worry pal, you'll 100% get your money back if you don't receive the item.
    Whats the sellers id? Post a link....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pookababes)
    Perhaps the payment hasn't cleared yet?
    Most of the things I buy on ebay, the sellers usually don't contact me about it being dispatched.
    It's only been two days, I wouldn't start worrying yet
    You've obviously not met "proper" sellers then I've had to apologise to a buyer who bought my netbook around a week ago, when I booked a CityLink collection(twice), when they failed to turn up and had to resort to using HDNL 48 hour on the 16th, considering CityLink's incompetence(not the first time either)

The listing said that I would dispatch within one day, and by using a 24 hour courier, so possibly there may be delivery issues on the seller's side

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everybody It looks like the money hasn't come out of my account - doesn't even seem as if it is on its way.. hmm.. maybe this is a problem on my part?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Wait a couple more days, they may have sent it without letting you know, or be waiting until tomorrow to send it, if thy work full-time etc.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think negative, go grab yourself a bargain. On the whole, the eBay community is quite fair, you'll be OK.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible that they've been restricted by the 21 day hold policy. This happens to new sellers who are selling high risk items(ie: electronic devices), and tend to have under 100 feedback on eBay. Regardless of this, the seller is expected to send their item out ASAP(not after 21 days), using a secure delivery method. Once the buyer leaves feedback or when the 21 day period is up, then PayPal will release the money. If the seller hasn't sent your item because of this then it is well and truly their fault; not yours

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.