Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got two Bs atm, studying for another. Assuming I got an A, would it be worth applying for AAB courses considering I was 2% away from an A in one of the Bs? Would they consider it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    I've got two Bs atm, studying for another. Assuming I got an A, would it be worth applying for AAB courses considering I was 2% away from an A in one of the Bs? Would they consider it?
    nah bbz xxx

ReputationRep:
    You may as well apply as the grade requirements are only a suggestion and universities.

I don't know if universities would know if you were 2% off an A. I was 0.5% off a grade in one of my subjects but it made no difference.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what your tutor predicts you. Try asking your teachers to raise your predicted grades if you're really worried. Although I was predicted ABB and got offered AAB courses so I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. Just make sure you have a good personal statement!

I recommend applying for slightly lower grades as well for insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly? I don't think so.

University places are becoming more and more competitive and everybody I know who's applied for a course with grade requirements that are higher than their predicted grades have received rejections. Unless you're applying for a very unusual course then there will be much, much more applicants than places and most univerisites will pick the ones with the highest grades, especially as it is not unusual for a university to make their choices based solely on grades and totally ignore the personal statement.

You'd be much better off finding some courses that you like that ask for ABB.

ReputationRep:
    It's commonly suggested that you should apply for 1 university that is above your predicted grades, three that or on or around it and 1 that is below. Make sure you apply to universities that you actually want to go to though. Many people make the mistake of picking any random university as their lowest choice and then regretting it when they get rejected from all other 4 universities or put it as their insurance and mess up in their exams.

ReputationRep:
    Aslong as you're predicted AAB or above your fine.

I got ABBBB at AS and was predicted AAAB and got 4 out of my 5 offers with them all being AAB and above uni's (damn durham !!! )

So go for it like people above have said though, work hard on your personal statement, make sure you can achieve your predicteds, and work your arse off and you will get those 3 A's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyRowena)

University places are becoming more and more competitive and everybody I know who's applied for a course with grade requirements that are higher than their predicted grades have received rejections.

I think it depends very much which course you're applying for. For things like Law, History, Medicine, then your predicted grades need to be on, or above, the grade requirements. For other subjects that aren't so competitive, it's not usual to get a higher offer. One of my friends received an AAB be offer when they were only predicted BBB, admittedly that wasn't for the most desirable of courses. Nevertheless, it's always worth a shot, there's nothing really to lose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyRowena)

University places are becoming more and more competitive and everybody I know who's applied for a course with grade requirements that are higher than their predicted grades have received rejections. Unless you're applying for a very unusual course then there will be much, much more applicants than places and most univerisites will pick the ones with the highest grades, especially as it is not unusual for a university to make their choices based solely on grades and totally ignore the personal statement.

And what about if one has some voluntary work experience in the area they wish to study?

(Original post by Phil1541)
    Aslong as you're predicted AAB or above your fine.

I got ABBBB at AS and was predicted AAAB and got 4 out of my 5 offers with them all being AAB and above uni's (damn durham !!! )

So go for it like people above have said though, work hard on your personal statement, make sure you can achieve your predicteds, and work your arse off and you will get those 3 A's
    No, I've already got the two Bs (sadly) I'm on a gap year and studying for another.

(Original post by LornaSandison1)
    I think it depends very much which course you're applying for. For things like Law, History, Medicine, then your predicted grades need to be on, or above, the grade requirements. For other subjects that aren't so competitive, it's not usual to get a higher offer. One of my friends received an AAB be offer when they were only predicted BBB, admittedly that wasn't for the most desirable of courses. Nevertheless, it's always worth a shot, there's nothing really to lose.
    It's History ( :/ ) As I said above, I have got some voluntary experience in this area, would this affect an application?

ReputationRep:
    I was predicted AAB but got an offer from Cardiff for AAA.

ReputationRep:
    And what about if one has some voluntary work experience in the area they wish to study?
    That will help, of course, especially if you apply to places that put emphasis on the personal statement. Wider reading is also an absolute must for History, although I'm guessing you probably know all this already if you're applying. :')

It couldn't hurt you if there was one uni you adored that asked for AAB to apply there, but make sure you apply to places you like with grades that match up with the ones you have because it really is so competitive. I know that reputable places like Kent and UEA give out ABB offers for History so there are plenty of options.

The other option, of course, is you could re-take one of your Bs and try to pull it up to an A if you felt it was worth the extra work.

ReputationRep:
    No you probably won't be able to get in, go for Nottingham Trent or something, unless you want a load of unsuccessfuls on your application

ReputationRep:
    You could apply to at least 2 AAB universities, no harm in that. If you get in that's great! If you don't then, you'll have the other 3 options.

ReputationRep:
    It's History ( :/ ) As I said above, I have got some voluntary experience in this area, would this affect an application?
    Hmm, then you might be struggling a little if you're not predicted AAB. If you can get your teachers to predict you that (or above), then it will be less of a problem.

Work experience is always looked upon kindly by admissions tutors.

ReputationRep:

No, I've already got the two Bs (sadly) I'm on a gap year and studying for another.

Ah unlucks dude, really depends on the uni etc... and how many people miss there offers but I wouldn't say your chances are great if there standard offer is AAB and you apply with BB with a predicted A.

You planning on retaking?
    I'd try and retake one or both of the 2 B's up to an A
    Get them re-predicted as A's and then you should be fine

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.