AS level English Language - need coursework ideas! Watch

This discussion is closed.
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
For my coursework i have to do two pieces of original writing.

They must fall into different categories - the four categories are
writing:

- to inform
- to persuade
- to advise/instruct
- to entertain

I had two ideas a while ago which i have now scrapped because they are boring. I cannot think of anything interesting to do. The total number of words for both pieces combine must be 1500-3000 words. I've only got a month left to do it now. So if anyone can help please do! All ideas welcomed

Btw it can be pretty much anything as long as there is a realistic audience. Suggestions from the exam board/my teacher are newspaper articles, comedy script for stand-up routine, advice on managing money, how to cope with GCSEs etc.

Sorry if this isn't clear enough, i'm in a rush! Lol.
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
For my lang coursework a couple of years ago (with the same criteria as far as I can remember...) I did a leaflet advertising a competition to see SClub7 (not that I'm a fan but they have a distinct target audience which made it easier). For my second piece I did a short story.
undiscovered
Rep:
?
(Original post by .NK)
For my lang coursework a couple of years ago (with the same criteria as far as I can remember...) I did a leaflet advertising a competition to see SClub7 (not that I'm a fan but they have a distinct target audience which made it easier). For my second piece I did a short story.
Cool thanks, I like the leaflet advertising idea a lot, except S Club 7 no longer exist . I'm not gonna write a story coz i'm rubbish at writing stories.
butterflew
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
i wouldn't do the stand up thing - could go reallly wrong! how about a letter to your MP about top up fees or something like that? if you do the persuade category all you have to do is argue, that must be quite manageable.
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I like the idea of writing to your MP. Why don't you have a look in the Main forum and see if the threads give you any ideas on what to complain about?

Or, if you want to inform someone, how about writing a conversation (invent two characters) in the style of a forum thread? You could ask a question, answer it, and bring up various other spin-off questions on your subject. You'd have to make sure your spelling and punctuation are quite good, as it's for English, but you could use two different dialects, slang, etc.
undiscovered
Rep:
?
Thanks for your help everyone, all your ideas are great and have helped LOADS! I've decided to do a letter to an MP, though i don't know what the subject of the letter will be yet, and a leaflet advertising a competition to meet a band or something (for younger teens). Thanks again x
undiscovered
Rep:
?
Actually i can't do the competition thing and letter because they are both to persuade. What can i write about to either advise/instruct or inform? Has to be interesting and over 1000 words.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.57%
No (239)
33.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise