The Student Room Group

AS level English Language - need coursework ideas!

For my coursework i have to do two pieces of original writing.

They must fall into different categories - the four categories are
writing:

- to inform
- to persuade
- to advise/instruct
- to entertain

I had two ideas a while ago which i have now scrapped because they are boring. I cannot think of anything interesting to do. The total number of words for both pieces combine must be 1500-3000 words. I've only got a month left to do it now. So if anyone can help please do! All ideas welcomed :smile:

Btw it can be pretty much anything as long as there is a realistic audience. Suggestions from the exam board/my teacher are newspaper articles, comedy script for stand-up routine, advice on managing money, how to cope with GCSEs etc.

Sorry if this isn't clear enough, i'm in a rush! Lol.
Reply 1
For my lang coursework a couple of years ago (with the same criteria as far as I can remember...) I did a leaflet advertising a competition to see SClub7 (not that I'm a fan but they have a distinct target audience which made it easier). For my second piece I did a short story.
Reply 2
.NK
For my lang coursework a couple of years ago (with the same criteria as far as I can remember...) I did a leaflet advertising a competition to see SClub7 (not that I'm a fan but they have a distinct target audience which made it easier). For my second piece I did a short story.

Cool thanks, I like the leaflet advertising idea a lot, except S Club 7 no longer exist :biggrin: . I'm not gonna write a story coz i'm rubbish at writing stories.
Reply 3
i wouldn't do the stand up thing - could go reallly wrong! how about a letter to your MP about top up fees or something like that? if you do the persuade category all you have to do is argue, that must be quite manageable.
Reply 4
I like the idea of writing to your MP. Why don't you have a look in the Main forum and see if the threads give you any ideas on what to complain about?

Or, if you want to inform someone, how about writing a conversation (invent two characters) in the style of a forum thread? You could ask a question, answer it, and bring up various other spin-off questions on your subject. You'd have to make sure your spelling and punctuation are quite good, as it's for English, but you could use two different dialects, slang, etc.
Reply 5
Thanks for your help everyone, all your ideas are great and have helped LOADS! I've decided to do a letter to an MP, though i don't know what the subject of the letter will be yet, and a leaflet advertising a competition to meet a band or something (for younger teens). Thanks again :smile: x
Reply 6
Actually i can't do the competition thing and letter because they are both to persuade. What can i write about to either advise/instruct or inform? Has to be interesting and over 1000 words.

Latest

Trending

Trending