Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

Could anyone shed some light on the law conversion course for me? Firstly is it taught at your university, or somewhere else? And secondly, if say I have an economics degree, then take the conversion course, I can train to be a barrister straight after that can't I? The conversion does give you the equivalent of an LLB as far as I know?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azza93)
    Hi All,

Could anyone shed some light on the law conversion course for me? Firstly is it taught at your university, or somewhere else? And secondly, if say I have an economics degree, then take the conversion course, I can train to be a barrister straight after that can't I? The conversion does give you the equivalent of an LLB as far as I know?
    thanks
    Hey,

If you check out this http://www.lawcareers.net/Courses/GDL.aspx there is ton's of stuff on the GDL.I'm hoping to do it after my English degree. You can do the course at various places around the country and it's a really grueling course condensing a lot down into one full on year. You'll have to do your BPTC or LPC after the GDL, of course, and yes you'll come out of the one year course with an LLB.

I haven't signed up to do the course just yet, I've just researched it loads!
    Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicfreak2410)
    Hey,

If you check out this http://www.lawcareers.net/Courses/GDL.aspx there is ton's of stuff on the GDL.I'm hoping to do it after my English degree. You can do the course at various places around the country and it's a really grueling course condensing a lot down into one full on year. You'll have to do your BPTC or LPC after the GDL, of course, and yes you'll come out of the one year course with an LLB.

I haven't signed up to do the course just yet, I've just researched it loads!
    Hope that helps

(Original post by Azza93)
    Hi All,

thanks
    You should both know that the LLB you obtain from that path is strictly nominal. The SRA doesn't recognise LLB topup-type degrees as qualifying law degrees per se. Of course, by the time your eligible for one you will have done the necessary study to theoretically be on an even footing with those who have, but it's just a technical issue.

You can read further at the bottom of the following webpage on the SRA's site:

http://www.sra.org.uk/students/conversion-courses.page

ReputationRep:
    You want to be a barrister or a solicitor?

I think if you have a non-law degree, then you convert it on the GDL and then take the LPC for solicitor... i have no idea about barristers.

All I know is I am glad I am not doing the GDL - a law conversion is bloody hard work - nine modules in one year?! No thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lesbionic)
    You want to be a barrister or a solicitor?

I think if you have a non-law degree, then you convert it on the GDL and then take the LPC for solicitor... i have no idea about barristers.

All I know is I am glad I am not doing the GDL - a law conversion is bloody hard work - nine modules in one year?! No thanks!
    Seven, actually. As for the bar, the academic stage is the same as for the law society, but you do the BPTC instead of the LPC and a pupillage (one year) instead of a training contract. And it's ferociously competitive--far more so than to get a TC.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.