Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks,

I would appreciate some advice. I got an offer from UCL for a BA Philosophy and Economics and I got an offer from the University of Chicago where I would major in Economics.

Which of those Universities do you guys think is better regarding undergraduate experience, academics (econ), athletics, reputation...??

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by von Mises)
    Hi folks,

I would appreciate some advice. I got an offer from UCL for a BA Philosophy and Economics and I got an offer from the University of Chicago where I would major in Economics.

Which of those Universities do you guys think is better regarding undergraduate experience, academics (econ), athletics, reputation...??

Cheers!
    Chicago's Economics department is amongst the best in the world. And I don't think UCL's BA in Philosophy and Economics is as prestigious as its single honours BSc.

I would opt for Chicago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilustrius)
    Chicago's Economics department is amongst the best in the world. And I don't think UCL's BA in Philosophy and Economics is as prestigious as its single honours BSc.

I would opt for Chicago.

Thanks for your reply! What chances do you think I have to get an IB/Consulting internship/job in London with an econ degree from UChicago? Do you think my chances with a UCL degree are higher to get a job in the city?

ReputationRep:
    This is a no-brainer. Economics at Chicago any day of the week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by von Mises)
    Thanks for your reply! What chances do you think I have to get an IB/Consulting internship/job in London with an econ degree from UChicago? Do you think my chances with a UCL degree are higher to get a job in the city?
    I'm not in a position to credibly comment on this, but I would imagine so. It has a famous economics department, so I'd be very surprised if an IB/Consulting recruiter in London is unaware of Chicago's economics prestige. UCL is also a breeding ground for IB (not too sure about consulting, but again I'd imagine so).

In terms of M/B/B consulting, I'm guessing Oxbridge and LSE graduates are more targetted than UCL graduates, and I'm not sure about Chicago.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.