Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have applied to all 5 of the Scottish architecture universities and am a little unclear about which would suit me the best. I don't live in the UK, so I don't have the chance to go to any open days. Personal experiences, for example, would be nice, because most university ranking lists probably don't give that accurate information.

Here is my situation right now:
    Glasgow School of Art: nothing
    Dundee: unconditional (after they asked portfolio)
    Stratchclyde: asked portfolio
    ESALA: unsuccessful
    Robert Gordon University: acknowledged

I prefer quite artistic and design oriented approach to architecture and really love minimalistic (and preferably made of concrete) "Japanese-style" buildings. This is why I'm interested in GSA and Dundee with its Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art.
    Stratchclyde is a bit of a mystery, is it better than Dundee and in which ways they differ? Glasgow would be more inspiring city than Dundee though....
    But GSA has the best reputation and RGU the worst, right?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I think GSA is the best school for architecture in Scotland and is up there for the rest of the UK probably top 5, if you didn't get into ESALA you might have problems getting in to GSA and Strathclyde isn't that easy to get in to either but a portfolio's a start.

I like the work of all the scottish schools.

You should really try and visit the cities involved, they play a big part in choosing the best place to study for you.

ReputationRep:
    GSA then Strathclyde.

ReputationRep:
    OK, thanks.
    My grades aren't that great, so I didn't meet the minimum entry requirement to ESALA. My portfolio is good or average, I guess, so I hope that GSA at least asks for it.

Can you tell me reasons why Strathclyde is better than Dundee? Are there other big advantages than that Strathclyde is located in Glasgow? Are their teaching style someway different or something like that?
    Sorry if I ask too many questions but I don't live in the UK and don't have the extra money to travel to Scotland's cities before I move there to study.

ReputationRep:
    Because there are only two architecture schools in Glasgow it means that the standard is quite high, anyone wanting to study there only has limited choices. If I didn't get into GSA I probably would choose not to study in Glasgow at all and my next choice would be Dundee.

The grades GSA and Strathclyde ask for are quite low in comparison to other top schools but the average UCAS points that students have for both schools is over 400. Although students do get given low offers or unconditionals the majority of them will be AAA students anyway so a good portfolio is essential, if you think your portfolio is only good or average I suggest doing some more work on it. GSA ask for a portfolio and require an interview, if you're an international student they will probably do it over the phone.

GSA wins presidents medal every few years and Strathclyde won the silver medal a few years ago as well.

Something to keep in mind is that if you are choosing Scotland primarily because of the cheaper fee's then remember that an honours degree takes four years in Scotland as opposed to three everywhere else meaning that although the fee's are cheaper you have to factor in all the living expenses associated with an extra year. Also at GSA only about half the students get back to do the honours year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeyserNI)
    Because there are only two architecture schools in Glasgow it means that the standard is quite high, anyone wanting to study there only has limited choices. If I didn't get into GSA I probably would choose not to study in Glasgow at all and my next choice would be Dundee.

The grades GSA and Strathclyde ask for are quite low in comparison to other top schools but the average UCAS points that students have for both schools is over 400. Although students do get given low offers or unconditionals the majority of them will be AAA students anyway so a good portfolio is essential, if you think your portfolio is only good or average I suggest doing some more work on it. GSA ask for a portfolio and require an interview, if you're an international student they will probably do it over the phone.

GSA wins presidents medal every few years and Strathclyde won the silver medal a few years ago as well.

Something to keep in mind is that if you are choosing Scotland primarily because of the cheaper fee's then remember that an honours degree takes four years in Scotland as opposed to three everywhere else meaning that although the fee's are cheaper you have to factor in all the living expenses associated with an extra year. Also at GSA only about half the students get back to do the honours year.
    Seconded. Choose Dundee.

It is a good school. One thing worth noting is that BA Architecture without Honours is still an RIBA Part 1 Degree so you still won't have much trouble applying to 'higher ranking' school later on.

ReputationRep:
    Good, I have a nice feeling about Dundee (based on internet forums and google street view, heh..)

I was being perhaps too modest when I said my portfolio is good or average, but I will definitely improve it before GSA asks for it.

I've read multiple threads about what portfolio should contain, but how well the general guidelines apply to GSA? It wouldn't be strange if they like quite arty, creative and expressionistic work, it being an art school and all. I mean, for example, I have photographed and self-developed quite nice black and white film that would look good in my portfolio, but the pictures aren't related to architecture at all. Should I focus more on creativity or work that show spatial awareness?

This thread has been very helpful so far. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leviathan)
    I've read multiple threads about what portfolio should contain, but how well the general guidelines apply to GSA? It wouldn't be strange if they like quite arty, creative and expressionistic work, it being an art school and all. I mean, for example, I have photographed and self-developed quite nice black and white film that would look good in my portfolio, but the pictures aren't related to architecture at all. Should I focus more on creativity or work that show spatial awareness
    All of the above. All schools like arty and expressionistic, but properly arty and expressionistic, not just making things smudgy or whatever and thinking it's profound. Put a good mix of your most refined work, as well as some pieces that show flair/ingenuity/character/confidence. It's hard to comment further unless you want to show us your stuff!

ReputationRep:
    Good, I have a nice feeling about Dundee (based on internet forums and google street view, heh..)

I was being perhaps too modest when I said my portfolio is good or average, but I will definitely improve it before GSA asks for it.

I've read multiple threads about what portfolio should contain, but how well the general guidelines apply to GSA? It wouldn't be strange if they like quite arty, creative and expressionistic work, it being an art school and all. I mean, for example, I have photographed and self-developed quite nice black and white film that would look good in my portfolio, but the pictures aren't related to architecture at all. Should I focus more on creativity or work that show spatial awareness?

For being part of one of the best known art schools in the uk the mackintosh actually takes a pretty straightforward view of architecture. They take a view towards the real architecture, how it is built and used within the social context they don't go for abstract idea's picked from the ether.

For Part I all schools look for the same stuff but just the standard changes.

Also having a standard three year Scottish degree won't hold you back in architecture but if like many people you decide that architecture isn't for you then it might.

ReputationRep:

My portfolio for GSA contained life drawing, photography, even fashion design as well as models and architecture projects. It doesn't ALL need to be architecture related. They give you a limit of 10 pieces for your portfolio if you are going for an interview, and if you cannot attend then they ask for more work to be sent to them in digital format (i.e. a cd). GSA like seeing creativity and experimentation.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I didn't get into GSA...
    But got conditional from Strathclyde (need to pass the IELTS).
    Right now, even though people who replied to this thread seem to favor Dundee over Strathclyde, I might choose Strathclyde. I think that living in Glasgow will be a huge advantage. I hope this is not a stupid decision.

Can someone who said to choose Dundee explain why? Strathclyde has won one president's medal and Glasgow is full of inspirational and interesting museums etc. What better Dundee has to offer?

Also I'm planning to do my part 2 in a more "prestigious" university. Does it really matter where you did your part 1 when you apply for part 2? How important is the part 1 university's reputation in this?

And finally, which school has more international connections? I don't want to stay in Scotland the whole time. Perhaps I do my year out in some other country or the entire part 2, i don't know. But does somebody know from which school it is easier to do this?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I didn't get into GSA...
    But got conditional from Strathclyde (need to pass the IELTS).
    Right now, even though people who replied to this thread seem to favor Dundee over Strathclyde, I might choose Strathclyde. I think that living in Glasgow will be a huge advantage. I hope this is not a stupid decision.

Can someone who said to choose Dundee explain why? Strathclyde has won one president's medal and Glasgow is full of inspirational and interesting museums etc. What better Dundee has to offer?

Also I'm planning to do my part 2 in a more "prestigious" university. Does it really matter where you did your part 1 when you apply for part 2? How important is the part 1 university's reputation in this?

And finally, which school has more international connections? I don't want to stay in Scotland the whole time. Perhaps I do my year out in some other country or the entire part 2, i don't know. But does somebody know from which school it is easier to do this?

Thanks.
    If I didn't get in to the GSA I would feel that Strathclyde was second best and it would play on my mind the whole time I was in Glasgow. I'd rather forget about it and choose somewhere else if not Edinburgh then Dundee as loads of students from my part of the UK choose to study there.

ReputationRep:
    Go to Strathclyde, you'll have a good shot of getting a job afterwards and their tutors are excellent, also Dundee is a bit of a dump...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 21, 2011

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.