Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    41/55 went to Oxbridge, thats every PM since 1721 at a 75% rate which is astonishingly high. Well, its just something you can't get away from.

Look at the leaders of all the major political parties, even Labour's shadow cabinet is filled with an array of oxbridge graduates. Contacts matter in politics, and it is certainly difficult to get to the top without them.

ReputationRep:
    ....and they've all been crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Warrior King)
    bitter dentists :rolleyes:
    Pfft, I'd hardly call it 'bitter'.

Just as we have Ferrari x Lamborghini, real music x justin bieber.. a rivalry must inevitably exist in the clinical realms. It must.

ReputationRep:
    did somebody say ppe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    So, somebody who got a 1st from LSE would "struggle" and feel "overwhelmed"?? :lolwut:

You must realize that even some of those who went to Oxbridge have only achieved measly 2:1s - not to mention that some have committed suicide because they were "overwhelmed"!!! :yikes:

Not to mention also that many of these Oxbridge Prime Ministers have made very stupid decisions and are not the greatest men....
    I mean people with next to no qualifications whatsoever. But people with the best qualification in the world are by far better to have at the helm of the nation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BackDoorEntry)
    Pfft, I'd hardly call it 'bitter'.

Just as we have Ferrari x Lamborghini, real music x justin bieber.. a rivalry must inevitably exist in the clinical realms. It must.
    If that's what you want to call it hehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brand New Eyes)
    41/55 went to Oxbridge, thats every PM since 1721 at a 75% rate which is astonishingly high. Well, its just something you can't get away from.

Look at the leaders of all the major political parties, even Labour's shadow cabinet is filled with an array of oxbridge graduates. Contacts matter in politics, and it is certainly difficult to get to the top without them.
    Somewhat unfair going back to 1721 for your statistic, unless they came from Scotland or studied abroad there was not much choice to go elsewhere before England started developing a few more universities.

With the odd exceptions of ability over background, (Disraeli springs to mind) up to circa 1900 not exactly a level playing field in that few Prime Ministers did not have the "right" background, therefore unlikely they came from anywhere but Oxford or Cambridge given their upbringing.

There is no doubting the Oxbridge influence on government, however I suspect the ratios are somewhat skewed by a certain segment of society during the reviewed period.

There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BackDoorEntry)
    Law is somewhat relevant to the duties of being a PM.

And well Thatcher is... Thatcher
    Margaret was of course also a barrister, I think dealing with tax law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJKL)
    Somewhat unfair going back to 1721 for your statistic, unless they came from Scotland or studied abroad there was not much choice to go elsewhere before England started developing a few more universities.

With the odd exceptions of ability over background, (Disraeli springs to mind) up to circa 1900 not exactly a level playing field in that few Prime Ministers did not have the "right" background, therefore unlikely they came from anywhere but Oxford or Cambridge given their upbringing.

There is no doubting the Oxbridge influence on government, however I suspect the ratios are somewhat skewed by a certain segment of society during the reviewed period.

There are lies, damned lies and statistics.
    Okay, well starting at the 20th Century, 18 PMs 13 from Oxbridge 72%. You can argue that our political system has only evolved into a meritocracy since well personally I'd say 1950s. Since then we've had ONE woman, and the usual array of middle-upper class men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brand New Eyes)
    Okay, well starting at the 20th Century, 18 PMs 13 from Oxbridge 72%. You can argue that our political system has only evolved into a meritocracy since well personally I'd say 1950s. Since then we've had ONE woman, and the usual array of middle-upper class men.
    Not sure how middle class some were, from wiki:

John Major
    "Major was born at the St. Helier Hospital in Sutton, Surrey, the son of Gwen Major and former Music Hall performer Tom Major-Ball (né Abraham Thomas Ball), who was 64 years old when John was born."

James Harold Wilson
    "He came from a political family: his father James Herbert Wilson (December 1882–1971) was a works chemist who had been active in the Liberal Party and then joined the Labour Party. His mother Ethel (née Seddon; 1882–1957) was a schoolteacher prior to her marriage."

James Callaghan.
    "James Callaghan was born at 38 Funtington Road, Copnor, Portsmouth, England on 27 March 1912. He was named after his father, also James Callaghan, who was of Irish descent and was a Royal Navy Chief Petty Officer; he died in 1921, when Callaghan was nine years old.[2] His mother was Charlotte Callaghan née Cundy (born 1880). He had an older sister, Dorothy Gertrude Callaghan (born 1904). He attended Portsmouth Northern Secondary School (now Mayfield School). He gained the Senior Oxford Certificate in 1929, but could not afford entrance to university, and instead sat the Civil Service Entrance Exam."

Edward Heath
    "Edward Heath (known as "Teddy" as a young man) was born the son of a carpenter and a maid from Broadstairs, Kent. His father was later a successful small businessman. He was educated at Chatham House Grammar School in Ramsgate and in 1935 with the aid of a county scholarship he went up to study at Balliol College, Oxford. "

ReputationRep:
    Does Gordon Brown count as an exception though? He wasn't elected in as PM, and didn't get re-elected. I'd be interested to see how many PMs who were head of their party at the time of the election are from Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    The reason the newer prime minsters failed (cant speak for the older ones as I'm only 19) they lacked common sense. Intellect is great but these guys brown, blair and cameron are not street wise.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.