Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    This has probably been done before, but nevertheless I'm rather interesting in the variety of views people have on marriage as a whole.
    Including what it would mean to you personally, good or bad and how relevant it is in modern society.

I'll start with my own views that are pretty much exactly the view thats described in "He's Just Not That Into You" The guy generally says that he has close friends who he's known for years and couldn't live without that he wouldn't contemplate marrying so why is it different for couples. I also think that a relationship is a private thing between two people, so why involve everyone you know for a day?

So opinions please, it would be nice to have some different views, both for and against

ReputationRep:
    http://camel123.files.wordpress.com/...a-marriage.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Personally, don't think I'll ever get married. So many relationships nowadays seem to be ruined through marriage, although I do know that there are a lot which work out or stay great.

I just don't see the need to get married to someone if you want to be with them. You can be with them all your life without being married.

And yes, so many people will argue about marriage bringing people closer together by taking each others names and so on, but I don't think its necessary

ReputationRep:
    Marriage is a great thing when you find the right person. I don't agree with people who argue that in the modern society, having a boyfriend/girlfriend and living together is equal to being married. I always hear the same excuse, "why to marry, marriage is just a contract or a piece of paper" .
    It is contract at the end, but it shows that you are taking the relationship more seriously, because ending a marriage is more difficult than dumping a boyfriend\girlfriend.

I myself like to introduce a girl to other people as my fiancée/wife, rather than just a girlfriend. It sounds better, kind of more respect for the girl :rolleyes:.

That's how I think but each to their own :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alijimi)
    Marriage is a great thing when you find the right person. I don't agree with people who argue that in the modern society, having a boyfriend/girlfriend and living together is equal to being married. I always hear the same excuse, "why to marry, marriage is just a contract or a piece of paper" .
    It is contract at the end, but it shows that you are taking the relationship more seriously, because ending a marriage is more difficult than dumping a boyfriend\girlfriend.

I myself like to introduce a girl to other people as my fiancée/wife, rather than just a girlfriend. It sounds better, kind of more respect for the girl :rolleyes:.

That's how I think but each to their own :cool:
    you forgot the "no homo" at the end of your post

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to get married. I know a lot of people say 'it's just a piece of paper' but the whole idea of it seems nice and just because it goes wrong for other people doesn't mean it will go wrong for everyone else. However, I would only marry if I was 110% sure that I wanted to be with that person for the rest of my future, Marriage and Divorce are far too expensive for it all to go wrong! If I wasn't sure, I wouldn't marry.

ReputationRep:
    a burden

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I don't care either way. If I was proposed to I'd probably say yes (based on the assumption I loved him and wanted to create a life with him) but if he didn't I wouldn't care.

My parents aren't married, my mum has actually divorced twice so didn't want a third husband. 20 years later they're still together, marriage doesn't make anyone more likely to stay together, it just makes it expensive for divorce and expensive to do the whole wedding in the first place.

Its the committment that counts, you don't need a piece of paper to tell you that. Although in religions marriage is extremely important, I imagine it was hard for my dad to tell his Irish Catholic parents he'd gotten his divorced, single mother girlfriend of two years pregnant and wasn't going to marry her, the only one of his siblings not to marry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reml)
    you forgot the "no homo" at the end of your post
    You forgot the humour in your post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam 09)
    You forgot the humour in your post.
    who was joking?

ah well, you're probably a "nice guy" who won't ever get married, so i don't really give a toss what you think

ReputationRep:
    As I am a practising Christian i believe that marriage is a very important concept because it brings two people ,its a lovely celebration between to people and a gift from god moreover I disagree with dating because Christianity forbids pre-marital sex as dating can lead to unwanted pregnancies,HIV,AIDS AND all kind of other illnesses!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think marriage is massively important. I'm a traditionalist, I don't believe in physical relations outside marriage so I take marriage more seriously than a lot of people my age do. Why would you not want to include your loved ones in a celebration marking that you're going to spend the rest of your life with someone? I see marriage very much as a familial thing, you're joining your spouse's family and they're joining yours.

It's about saying you only ever want to be with that one person, and cementing it. People who say "It's just a piece of paper" - why are you so opposed to it then? People who say that are almost always afraid of commitment - and if they're already living with their significant other, they get away with all the perks of marriage without any of the commitment, and, consequently, can walk away with ease. Marriage makes people try harder - if you're just boyfriend and girlfriend, you can split up over anything, but if you're married, an argument that might cause you to break up otherwise just makes you work harder at your relationship, because it's not worth going through the hassle of divorce for.

ReputationRep:
    I think its just as much about what it is for the couple gtting married as to what it is for the other people around them tha view their relationship. It has cdrtain connotations attatched to it, and therefore people who want to commit to each other and these connotations will quie often get married.

People often get married because of the legal benefits that come alongside it too.... It makes the custody of children easier, finances and taxes easier, health insurance etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think marriage is meaningful and works for those who have a healthy concept of family.

Not everyone has that. I, myself, am indifferent. I mean, sure... What a wonderful idea- the concept of commitment and unconditional love toward someone else. I don't think anyone really wants to turn that down. But I don't think that's the reality for everyone and I don't think marriage is for everyone.

There would have to be a lot of communication before ever deciding to get married and I probably wouldn't be the one to start that conversation.

ReputationRep:
    I think marriage is an archaic patriarchy and not much of a commitment considering the rate of divorce. The control, loss of freedom for both parties and rediculous gender roles for me makes it even worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clara78)
    As I am a practising Christian i believe that marriage is a very important concept because it brings two people ,its a lovely celebration between to people and a gift from god moreover I disagree with dating because Christianity forbids pre-marital sex as dating can lead to unwanted pregnancies,HIV,AIDS AND all kind of other illnesses!!!!
    Clara, if it's your religious views that you fell make you want to get married fine, but...

Ever heard of condoms?

ReputationRep:
    I've been married for almost 15 years and tbh its been the best 15 years of my life!.I dont feel trapped or anything, we rarely argue too.Even when things havent been that rosy ( due to my hubby being out fo work in the early days when the children were small) we stood together and worked it out.Marriage is all about being together, standing as one and seeing lifes ups and downs.I do feel that some people exepect their marriage to be all sunny, but life isnt like that.I also think that some couples dont think past their wedding day.

The above is just my opinion though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammy_fou)
    Hi all,
    This has probably been done before, but nevertheless I'm rather interesting in the variety of views people have on marriage as a whole.
    Including what it would mean to you personally, good or bad and how relevant it is in modern society.

I'll start with my own views that are pretty much exactly the view thats described in "He's Just Not That Into You" The guy generally says that he has close friends who he's known for years and couldn't live without that he wouldn't contemplate marrying so why is it different for couples. I also think that a relationship is a private thing between two people, so why involve everyone you know for a day?

So opinions please, it would be nice to have some different views, both for and against
    I know exactly what you mean, especially with the film reference, I watched it and felt the exact same, I don't see why people rush into marriage and why people are so crazy about it. I'm not saying that I'm against marriage, I imagine it might be quite nice to get married, but for me I wouldn't put any pressure on my partner to do so and I wouldn't mind if we never got married.
    Then again, like others have said, marriage adds more security to a relationship, you've made a vow to stay true to one another. I know that should probably appear in a relationship anyway, but y'know, not everything works out that way.

ReputationRep:
    I believe in different folks, different strokes, what ever floats your boat.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.