Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Views On Marriage watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    I sometimes don't understand why people say that marriage would ruin the relationship. Just because a lot of people divorce doesn't imply that marriage is the cause. Even if those people weren't married if they couldn't resolve their problems they would still separate the only difference is that it won't appear in any statistics.
    This! So true.

It's also too easy to get divorced these days - time was, you only got divorced for real non-negotiable issues. Nowadays, people divorce after 5 minutes because they couldn't be bothered to work through whatever small issue arose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by totallydelirious)
    I'm a Christian, I couldn't *not* get married. I believe it's the joining of two people in the eyes of God, I believe it's something holy.

I don't fully understand why non-religous people get married as it really is then just a peice of paper.

I'm also waiting for marriage to have sex, as i think sex is when 'two bodies become one flesh'.

i think if you have sex with someone you're not in a loving committed relationship with, just as a random fling, then i think it's kind of...emotionally damaging. I think sex is an expression of love, a way of expressing an overflowing love for the other person, and if you have 'meaningless' sex that's cutting off your emotions and deadening how you feel which is never a healthy way of going about life.

I don't think you have to be married to have sex (it can just be a long term loving committed relationship), that's just what i've decided i want.

And i want kids, and sex is kind of a good way of getting pregnant, and i only want to have sex with the person i marry, so yeah i'm going to get married.
    :rolleyes: But no, you're right partly.

Marriage is whatever the two individuals want it to be, really. I dissagree that having multiple sex partners throughout your life is emotionally damaging, though. It would depend on how people process sex in their mind. I think the guilt after the act is where the damaging part comes in for most people, not the act itself. But there is no real reason to feel guilty. Sex is very natural and healthy with an appropriate amount of self respect for yourself and the other person.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.