Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A company still hasn't given me my disbursements from selling things on their website.

The disbursements are worth over £2000.

How would i go about suing them if they dont deliver as there is not much i can do other then email them and getting the same response "email <Various emails are given>"

It is an online company which claims to be based in america

Any advice?

I live in the UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-K-J)
    A company still hasn't given me my disbursements from selling things on their website.

The disbursements are worth over £2000.

How would i go about suing them if they dont deliver as there is not much i can do other then email them and getting the same response "email <Various emails are given>"

It is an online company which claims to be based in america

Any advice?

I live in the UK
    First of all try to resolve it without legal action, you can do this by sending them emails, calling them up etc.

If that doesn't work threaten to take them to court unless they settle.

Finally, the best thing would be to find a solicitor to get some advice about your position, they will draft the relevant documents required to sue them.

ReputationRep:
    Well its £2000 and to a student thats a lot of money.

To lawyers thats nothing.

Would a small claims court in the uk be able to help me in reaching a settlement with a company abroad? Thats my main question

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Small claims courts have no jurisdiction abroad.

ReputationRep:
    If they dont pay send them an email containing "You better lawyer up *******s"

ReputationRep:
    This might sound kind of stupid but I listen to it while driving home from work...

Thursday nights on LBC is 'legal hour' where you can get free legal advice from a guy who knows his stuff.

More info here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NGC773)
    If they dont pay send them an email containing "You better lawyer up *******s"
    Touché...

ReputationRep:
    Check the terms of service. It might be NET60 payments which means a 90 day wait.

ReputationRep:
    Check the T&Cs (or send them to me and I'll tell you the answer). It sounds like you had a contract with this company, but everything was done online and (presumably) on US servers. You'll almost certainly be able to sue the company in the state where it is incorporated or does business, but that's unlikely to be worth it for the sake of £2,000. It doesn't sound likely that you'll be able to sue them here but I would need more details.

If you paid the company monies by credit card you may be able to make a claim against your credit card company.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the citizens advice bureau. They will be able to give you free legal aid and hopefully help you sort it out or at least give you some clear advice as to where/how to start.

The CAB have got me out of many occasions (dodgy landlords/employment issues/consumer issues) and I couldn't recommend them high enough.

ReputationRep:
    If they are really based in the US (or anywhere outside of the UK for that matter) then you have no real chance....

No legal team would take this on on your behalf for a small amount like £2k and I'm guessing as a student you don't have the money to afford to pay a legal team to bring a case in the states.

Your best bet is to keep pestering them and try to damage their reputation, e.g. name and shame them on forums, perhaps write a blog post, etc. you may find they'll pay you just to shut up in the end.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.