Turn on thread page Beta

Self-improvement diary? A good idea, a bad idea? watch

Often at the end of the day, I get this mentality where I look back and its like "ugh" at all of the annoying, embarrassing, stupid or mean/unkind things (particularly mean/unkind things tbh, I could handle stupid and embarassing) I have said or done and I end up feeling bad. Like sometimes.. really really bad.

I don't want to feel bad about myself like this all the time, so I thought I would start a campaign for change!
    I have tried in the past to suppress the bad aspects of my personality but a) it failed, I just can't control myself and b) it made me unhappy;
    so... instead I thought maybe I could "make up" for myself by doing nice things, making an effort to compliment others, be helpful, avoid being selfish etc etc.

So I've been doing that but then I thought.. if I kept some kind of record, for good things vs bad things on each day - it would help me to even out the ratio of good:bad, and maybe if I am under-estimating myself then it would help me to remember good things and proportionalise the bad?

Maybe? It's only keeping a diary strikes me as slightly pathological, given I instinctively can tell this would be something I would keep a secret for fear of being referred to some kind of mental health professional, and I'm also concerned it could backfire terribly revealing only too clearly how generally horrible I am and making me feel worse.

Has anyone tried this? Has it worked? Does it help to improve yourself as a person and how you feel? Good idea? Terrible idea?

And in case anyone out there was, don't worry about me too much TSR. I don't think I am depressed (I still enjoy activities and feel hopeful!) it's just this whole.. well I think I am genuinely pretty flawed, people have actually told me I'm really annoying etc etc. I just want to be a better happier person yeah?

/End partially for advice, probably partially honestly for attention rambling

Please keep anon or delete.

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    **** that lol **** happens, just live your life, no regrets

ReputationRep:
    **** the haters above.

Everyone can improve so don;t feel bad and go for it.

Bear in mind, however, no one is perfect and you will never be perfect, even in your own mind.

(Original post by crofy)
    lol
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    **** that lol **** happens, just live your life, no regrets
    Potential lovematch?

Still though curls, thankyou for you input, which is "care less" - man I wish I could but then I dread to think what I would be like. People would probably try to poison me... or themselves

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.