Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could an inferiority complex result in a superiority complex? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible that your brain/ego, would just start lying to itself/you to compensate for an inferiority complex, and result in you having a superiority complex?

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    its practically the same thing in away...

ReputationRep:
    Complex this,complex that, the world needs a lot more bloody simples.

ReputationRep:
    Most definitely. The ones who are constantly trying to show how much better they are than you are generally the ones most unsure of themselves, which is why people should never take too much to heart what other people say about them. =)

ReputationRep:
    Sounds plausable.

I believe this image answers your question fully

ReputationRep:
    No, they are two complete opposites.
    If what you say is true (that an inferiority complex is/becomes a superiority complex) there wouldn't be such a thing as an inferiority complex.

Take for example, people who commit suicide:
    Inferiority complex: Yes
    Superiority complex: No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathematicsKiller)
    No, they are two complete opposites.
    If what you say is true (that an inferiority complex is/becomes a superiority complex) there wouldn't be such a thing as an inferiority complex.

Take for example, people who commit suicide:
    Inferiority complex: Yes
    Superiority complex: No
    But what I'm saying is, because the inferiority complex is so detrimental to their development the ego kicks in and instead of getting rid of the inferiority complex and making the person feel normal, it goes polar and causes the person to think they're amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammynorton90)
    But what I'm saying is, because the inferiority complex is so detrimental to their development the ego kicks in and instead of getting rid of the inferiority complex and making the person feel normal, it goes polar and causes the person to think they're amazing.
    In a way, yes - I've seen people with big, long noses being over-confident.

Nevertheless, on the subject in which they feel inferior, e.g. nose, they will always feel inferior.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bazlehman)
    Complex this,complex that, the world needs a lot more bloody simples.
    You're certainly adding to the number.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by sammynorton90)
    I'm not sure it works exactly as you've described but I've no doubt that most of the people who act like they're superior are actually people with inferiority complexes, who are trying to convince themselves or others that they're not so bad after all. It's all about seeking (self-)validation :yes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.