Turn on thread page Beta

Do you agree with reparations for slavery? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammynorton90)
    Do you agree with concept that people's whose ancestors were slaves should be given money by either the government or descendants of the family that enslaved them?
    Of course not. White people didn’t go out into the African jungle and capture black people for slaves—black people did that!
    http://www.scaruffi.com/politics/slavetra.html

Interestingly, muslims in North Africa enslaved way more white people for themselves, than they did black people.

COLUMBUS, Ohio – A new study suggests that a million or more European Christians were enslaved by Muslims in North Africa between 1530 and 1780 – a far greater number than had ever been estimated before....

While African slaves did grueling labor on sugar and cotton plantations in the Americas, European Christian slaves were often worked just as hard and as lethally – in quarries, in heavy construction, and above all rowing the corsair galleys themselves.
    http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/whtslav.htm

ReputationRep:
    So is this narrowed down to the Slave Trade as perpetuated hundreds of years ago from Britain to Africa then across the Atlantic? Or to people whose ancestors were slaves anywhere in the world? There would be numerous white people who could make such a claim as masters often reproduced with their slaves. Anyway, my ancestors, and I'm sure yours too, were affected by various wars through time, don't see me trying for compensation.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.