Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UCLA student receives death threats after racist rant watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    WESTWOOD (KTLA) -- A UCLA student whose racist rant about “Asians in the Library,” is reportedly receiving death threats.

In the nearly three-minute video, the student, identified as Alexandra Wallace, rants about the "hordes of Asian people that UCLA accepts into our school."

Wallace claims not be talking about her 'cool' Asian friends, but goes on to describe other Asians at UCLA as spoiled, rude and unintelligible.

Campus police tell the 'Daily Bruin' that the political science major, has sought the protection of campus police after she received several calls and emails from people threatening revenge.

UCPD spokeswoman Nancy Greenstein says police advised her to take a number of precautions and are currently working to ensure her safety.

Phil Gussin, Wallace’s political science professor, told the newspaper that Wallace contacted him with concern about how she would take her finals.

Gussin said Wallace told him that police advised her to reschedule her final exams in light of the death threats and information posted online that listed her class schedule and exam locations.

The video first surfaced Friday, the day an earthquake and tsunami rocked Japan.

And, Wallace even noted the disaster in her posting, "I swear they're going through their whole families, just checking on everybody from the tsunami thing. ... Like, you seriously should go outside if you're going to do that."

Wallace mimics an Asian student answering a cell phone in the school's library by saying, "Ohhhhhhhh! Ching chong ling long ting tong! Ohhhhhhh!"

"Hi. In America, we do not talk on our cell phones in the library!" she rants.

Wallace issued an apology through UCLA's newspaper, the Daily Bruin, saying she couldn't explain why she made the remarks.

"Clearly the original video posted by me was inappropriate," she said. "I cannot explain what possessed me to approach the subject as I did, and if I could undo it, I would."

UCLA Chancellor Gene Block issued the following statement on Monday:

"I am appalled by the thoughtless and hurtful comments of a UCLA student posted on YouTube. Like many of you, I recoil when someone invokes the right of free expression to demean other individuals or groups.

The university is examining the video to see if it violates any part of the student code of conduct.
    http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,3389859.story

ReputationRep:
    Would totally hit it...

ReputationRep:
    Best responses yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)
    Would totally hit it...
    This.
    Although, I'd probably make sure her mouth is closed with like tape or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathematicsKiller)
    This.
    Although, I'd probably make sure her mouth is closed with like tape or something.
    but she probably gives good head, for having such a dirty mouth :giggle:

OP, tbh I don't feel sorry for her.

ReputationRep:
    pretty sure she's dropped out now

ReputationRep:
    "Being the polite, nice American girl that my mama raised me to beee..."

Ohh the irony....

ReputationRep:
    All I see is boobs, hair, and orange skin.

You really can't take the crap she's on about to heart, she just sounds like an ignorant little *****.

ReputationRep:
    It's amazing (and saddening) that people can be opposed to racism, and yet support threatening to kill someone.

I don't see how anyone giving out death threats can take the moral highground.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh she has a point on the library thing.
    She just messed it up with confusing Chinese and Japanese people, and that comment about Asians' parents coming to help them.

I don't think this is so racist as to provoke threats.
    What use is freedom of speech if your life is threatened by a bunch of foreigners when you exercise it?

People have to learn to live and let live. Just ignore her if you don't like what she is saying.

ReputationRep:
    1. She chose to study in California. California is known for having a high Asian population.

2. I thought UCLA was prestigious? And they let her in?

3. Yes, Asians are all one people who speak the same language and live in the same country :rolleyes:

4. American manners? LOL and WTF.

5. American doesn't mean white. You can be American and brown, black or yellow. You can be American and speak Asian languages. You can be American and have family living abroad.

6. Studying Political Science, the irony.

7. If she just had a problem with loud people in the library, she could have just ranted about loud people, but for some reasons Asians seem to bother her

8. What's wrong with family looking after you? Does nobody love you?

9. Ignorant and worrying to see that some people think this is ok.

I thought this vid was hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zulEM...layer_embedded

ps: I don't agree with death threats, but I can understand why people feel so angry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    7. If she just had a problem with loud people in the library, she could have just ranted about loud people, but for some reasons Asians seem to bother her
    Maybe, in her experience, it was specifically the Asians being loud?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Then why not just make a vid about loud Asians in the library? I doubt anyone would be that bothered if this was the case

Why complain about hordes of them being accepted to UCLA, why complain about her building being full of old, Asian people on the weekends, why mock the wrong language, why mention the disasters in Japan in such an insensitive manner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Why not just complain about loud people in the library?

If it was white people, would she complain about loud, white people?

ReputationRep:
    Why not just complain about loud people in the library?

If it was white people, would she complain about loud, white people?
    Because if it is specifically one group, then it makes sense to mention that. She could be completely wrong of course.

She would probably not complain about white people as she herself is white. But some black or Asian person could complain about white people doing something irritating and I wouldn't really see that as being too bad either.

ReputationRep:
    Then why not just make a vid about loud Asians in the library? I doubt anyone would be that bothered if this was the case

Why complain about hordes of them being accepted to UCLA, why complain about her building being full of old, Asian people on the weekends, why mock the wrong language, why mention the disasters in Japan in such an insensitive manner?
    Nevertheless, despite her ignorance, the threats are not justified.

I've always believed that in an issue of words, you should respond with words,
    and in an issue of violence you should respond with violence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathematicsKiller)
    You think threats are justified then?

I've always believed that in an issue of words, you should respond with words,
    and in an issue of violence you should respond with violence.
    If you read my posts, you will find your answer.

"I don't agree with death threats"

ReputationRep:
    If you read my posts, you will find your answer.

"I don't agree with death threats"
    Yeah, I edited my post before you posted this.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think its possible to justify the associated asian-people insults ie. not specific to making too much noise in the library

her whole tone and style was very insulting too

"These hoards of asian people which UCLA accepts into OUR school every year" - [oops thats a bit racist]... "...[pause]....which is fine"

lol I could make a video about why I hate fat, orange, stupid, ignorant, pointless white girls - but I have manners and even then I wouldn't generalise to all white girls, like she did.

ReputationRep:
    And not knowing the difference between China and Japan? Never learned about WW2, Nanking?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.