Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

exam preparation watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    for my degree we had 4 modules per year which had to be passed.
    our final degree clasification was the average grade for the modules taken in our final year.

each module consisted of 12 "topics"
    for each modules exam we had 8 questions covering 8 seperate "topics" and we had to answer 4 of them.
    this meant that 4 topics would not be on the exam.

the tutors advised us to thoroughly learn 6-8 topics.
    >8 topics would gaurantee that you could answer 4 questions.
    >6 topics would at least allow you to get a 3rd unless you were very unlucky

in addition the tutors constantly made subtle hits to us about which topics would be on the exam paper, obviously they could not tell us in express words, but long before the exam everyone knew what topics they would be on the paper and could choose their 4 stongest topics to revise (making subsitutions if their stong topics were not covered).

However one tutor gave no such hints

I quiety asked her about it, and before i even finished the question she interupted and made it clear that we had to learn everything and a degree means you thorougly learn the whole course.

so at the point i thought the she thinks thorough knoladge is more important than actually passing, this was unfair considering that we were paying to go to univiersity and we would later be judged by our grades on paper and nothing else.

but I didnt have a stong view about it

however what later happend angered me deeply.

about 8 weeks befor the exam this specific tutor put in-depth revision guides up for 3 of the topics for her module
    not one of these topics came up on the exam.

was this fair?

(just to make it clear the tutors write the papers and they do so at the start of the year so they knew all allong what was in the papers.)

ReputationRep:
    Exam preparation: Learn to keep chunks of text small and to the point.

I'm not reading all that.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.