The Student Room Group

Durham vs Bristol vs London

Hey guys,

I've already got a place in Bristol Uni for law but I intend to apply to durham and the london universities (KCL,UCL) in the next cycle.

I was wondering if you guys could kindly give something like a comparison of these universities, especially between bristol and durham(I'll probably end up in either one).

Also, in terms of workload, how do these universities compare with each other?
Do KCL/UCL law students face much more pressure and stress as compared to Bristol/Durham due to the better quality of students?

Lastly, how tough is it to get a first class in these universities?

Would greatly appreciate any help I can get! Thank you :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by volante
Hey guys,

I've already got a place in Bristol Uni for law but I intend to apply to durham and the london universities (KCL,UCL) in the next cycle.

I was wondering if you guys could kindly give something like a comparison of these universities, especially between bristol and durham(I'll probably end up in either one).

Do KCL/UCL law students face much more pressure and stress as compared to Bristol/Durham due to the better quality of students?

LOL Kingston has better quality students than Durham or Bristol? I don't think so.
Reply 2
Original post by MathematicsKiller
LOL Kingston has better quality students than Durham or Bristol? I don't think so.

I meant Kings College London.
Original post by volante
I meant Kings College London.

Still, Kings doesn't have better quality students than Durham or Bristol.
Reply 4
This is how I would rank those universities.

1. UCL (by the smallest of margins).
2. Durham.
3. KCL/Bristol (too tough to call).
Reply 5
Original post by volante
Hey guys,

Bristol is a fine university. Why would you reapply? Yes, i would argue that UCL and Durham are better than Bristol. KCL and Bristol are pretty evenly matched. The differences are so small though that you'd be wasting your time.
Original post by volante

What factors do you want compared?

Original post by volante

Any top university is going to have about the same workload.

Your second question is ridiculous. In theory, Durham has the highest quality of student out of all of 4 of these--their UCAS avg is 500. King's is 460, UCL is 480, and Bristol is 460. So a quantitative analysis of student quality would be Durham>UCL>Bristol=KCL

And for ease of degree classification--go to unistats and look at the breakdown of firsts. It obviously fluctuates each year (and sometimes significantly), but...

Percentage of Firsts:
Durham-7%
KCL-8%
UCL-19%
Bristol-6%
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by MathematicsKiller
Still, Kings doesn't have better quality students than Durham or Bristol.

This is correct.

By UCAS avg: Durham>KCL=Bristol
Reply 7
Original post by adam0311
Bristol is a fine university. Why would you reapply? Yes, i would argue that UCL and Durham are better than Bristol. KCL and Bristol are pretty evenly matched. The differences are so small though that you'd be wasting your time.

What factors do you want compared?

Any top university is going to have about the same workload.

Your second question is ridiculous. In theory, Durham has the highest quality of student out of all of 4 of these--their UCAS avg is 500. King's is 460, UCL is 480, and Bristol is 460. So a quantitative analysis of student quality would be Durham>UCL>Bristol=KCL

And for ease of degree classification--go to unistats and look at the breakdown of firsts. It obviously fluctuates each year (and sometimes significantly), but...

Percentage of Firsts:
Durham-7%
KCL-8%
UCL-19%
Bristol-6%

Thanks for your reply!

I'm looking at comparison of maybe prestige / ease of getting a first as from where I come from you won't be taken seriously unless you've got a first!

Well from your percentages, it seems that there's only a small percentage of firsts from Bristol :frown:

Seeing that you're doing law at Durham, may I know how many hours of lessons do you get a week?

Also, Durham has formals right? What exactly is that? From what I know, it's a huge get together for meals and in some colleges can be as often as twice a week! Isn't that rather troublesome? (esp. for the colleges which require gowns and formal attire?) I'm not really sure on this so pls enlighten me!

Thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by volante
Thanks for your reply!

I'm looking at comparison of maybe prestige / ease of getting a first as from where I come from you won't be taken seriously unless you've got a first!

Well from your percentages, it seems that there's only a small percentage of firsts from Bristol :frown:

Seeing that you're doing law at Durham, may I know how many hours of lessons do you get a week?

Also, Durham has formals right? What exactly is that? From what I know, it's a huge get together for meals and in some colleges can be as often as twice a week! Isn't that rather troublesome? (esp. for the colleges which require gowns and formal attire?) I'm not really sure on this so pls enlighten me!

Thanks!

Picking a uni based off number of firsts is probably way too technical. An upper second from any of the unis in contention here, is probably sufficient to at least get a job at a city firm.

I don't go to Durham yet, but I'm starting in Oct. From what I understand, its 12 hours of contact time a week. As far as formals, it depends on the college. Some colleges are twice a week, others are once a term.
Reply 9
This is correct.

By UCAS avg: Durham>KCL=Bristol

How accurate is the UCAS Avg as an indicatior of the strength of a school's law degree?

Thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by volante
How accurate is the UCAS Avg as an indicatior of the strength of a school's law degree?

Thanks!

Its probably the most accurate way you can measure "quality of student."
Reply 11
Is there anybody else around who can provide me with another perspective on the issue at hand?

Would greatly appreciate help from people who are currently studying in Kings/Bristol/Durham!

Reply 12
I'm a first year at Bristol, and I would really really recommend you reconsider Bristol as an option. I had offers from Bristol & KCL, chose Bristol and haven't regretted it at all. I think when you are basing your choice on reputation there is hardly anything between the 3 uni's you have mentioned. There are people here who have had offers from both KCL and Durham and chose Bristol, as I am sure there are people at those uni's who have rejected Bristol.

I would say your choice should be based upon whether you want MASSIVE city = KCL, Big city = Bristol or tiny city = Durham.
Reply 13
Original post by volante
Hey guys,

Hi, I am interested in studying law at the universities mentioned, what GCSE and A level grades did you achieve?
Reply 14
Original post by D.V.Evans
Hi, I am interested in studying law at the universities mentioned, what GCSE and A level grades did you achieve?

I'm an international applicant so I didn't do the GCSE. I achieved ABBA for my A levels in my country and got 22 for my lnat.
Not sure if that's of any help tho!
Reply 15
Original post by glitsy
I'm a first year at Bristol, and I would really really recommend you reconsider Bristol as an option. I had offers from Bristol & KCL, chose Bristol and haven't regretted it at all. I think when you are basing your choice on reputation there is hardly anything between the 3 uni's you have mentioned. There are people here who have had offers from both KCL and Durham and chose Bristol, as I am sure there are people at those uni's who have rejected Bristol.

I would say your choice should be based upon whether you want MASSIVE city = KCL, Big city = Bristol or tiny city = Durham.

Thanks for replying!

May I know what made you choose Bristol over Kings & Durham?

Also, in terms of workload, do these universities vary greatly?

Cheers
Reply 16
Original post by volante
Thanks for replying!

May I know what made you choose Bristol over Kings & Durham?

Also, in terms of workload, do these universities vary greatly?

Cheers

I didn't apply to Durham, it was too far north and also I think the city would be too small for me.

I chose Bristol > Kings after going to both open days. I was set on going to Kings until I visited Bristol. I literally fell in love with the city, and also everyone seemed so enthusiastic about Bristol. (I'm on the committee for next years law club, and I know its going to be a great year)

No idea about the workload. I guess they are all pretty similar, law isn't a degree renowned for its lack of work, having said that, everybody does different amount of work. So I couldn't say there was an average workload.

If you have any particular questions feel free to ask though
Reply 17
Original post by glitsy
I didn't apply to Durham, it was too far north and also I think the city would be too small for me.

I chose Bristol > Kings after going to both open days. I was set on going to Kings until I visited Bristol. I literally fell in love with the city, and also everyone seemed so enthusiastic about Bristol. (I'm on the committee for next years law club, and I know its going to be a great year)

No idea about the workload. I guess they are all pretty similar, law isn't a degree renowned for its lack of work, having said that, everybody does different amount of work. So I couldn't say there was an average workload.

If you have any particular questions feel free to ask though

Thanks for your reply!
Any idea how the cost of living & accomodation vary between Bristol and London?
Is London really a lot more expensive?
Reply 18
Original post by volante
Thanks for your reply!
Any idea how the cost of living & accomodation vary between Bristol and London?
Is London really a lot more expensive?

I would say London would be quite a lot more expensive, I know a friend who goes to Kings, applied for accomodation, didn't get it, and ended up spending £250 a week on some form of private halls! I think the average catered halls at Bristol is like £110 a week, with a basin in your room. I can't really remember as I threw away my accommodation information the other day.

A night out in London is guaranteed to be more expensive then Bristol. I think Bristol is a lot more of a student city, the trianlge and such areas are full of students, and therefore the place meets the needs. Cafe Gusto do fresh baguettes for £1.50, Pret a Manger does a student discount. etc etc.
Reply 19
Picking a uni based off number of firsts is probably way too technical. An upper second from any of the unis in contention here, is probably sufficient to at least get a job at a city firm.

I don't go to Durham yet, but I'm starting in Oct. From what I understand, its 12 hours of contact time a week. As far as formals, it depends on the college. Some colleges are twice a week, others are once a term.

I don't mean to sound all grumpy about this but I'd be careful here in terms of making sweeping statements about what is sufficient to get a job at a city firm. On a (very) basic level, I do agree with what you've said, but that said, a 2.1 from a lot of universities is sufficient. My friend who graduated from Leeds with a degree in European Politics has just got a TC at Clifford Chance (I'm sure he wouldn't mind me saying, much to everyone's surprise!). It's a valuable and humbling lesson though...

You are right to (implicitly) point out that the universities we are discussing here are all at the top of the pile. But law firms are interested in much more than academics. Your performance at interview, at the assessment days you go to, your commercial awareness, your grasp of the financial news etc...these are all big factors.

Also I thought you might be interested to know that contact hours at Durham vary. In the first year it is roughly about 12 hours of lectures plus probably 12 tutorials in the term. It can actually get quite heavy! I had a similar workload 2nd year actually (although some people had less depending on modules they picked). But in 3rd year, particularly with the dissertation, let's just say there is more of an emphasis on "independent study".

For the OP- don't beat yourself up about getting a first. They are a lovely bonus and they do open doors that wouldn't be otherwise available, but there are no guarantees! And certainly don't enter university with the expectation that you will automatically get one. Work towards it, and by all means have it as as your driving ambition. However a first is a first for a reason- they are fairly difficult to get!

I will sum it up for you like this. They are all of very similar standard re job prospects in the UK. If anything, I think King's generally tends to attract a slightly lower calibre of student, but that is probably personal bias. Others will vehemently argue differently. I'm not really interested in getting into any debates like that, because they tend to be very circular and unnecessary. The bottom line is, they are all very good. If you are intending to work in the UK, your decision should be conditioned by non-academic factors, like the feel you have for each city, the cost of living (higher in London), the fact you may spend the rest of your life living in London (which made me decide to go away for 3 years) and the social life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending