Turn on thread page Beta

Durham vs Bristol vs London watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamTJ)
    I don't mean to sound all grumpy about this but I'd be careful here in terms of making sweeping statements about what is sufficient to get a job at a city firm. On a (very) basic level, I do agree with what you've said, but that said, a 2.1 from a lot of universities is sufficient. My friend who graduated from Leeds with a degree in European Politics has just got a TC at Clifford Chance (I'm sure he wouldn't mind me saying, much to everyone's surprise!). It's a valuable and humbling lesson though...

You are right to (implicitly) point out that the universities we are discussing here are all at the top of the pile. But law firms are interested in much more than academics. Your performance at interview, at the assessment days you go to, your commercial awareness, your grasp of the financial news etc...these are all big factors.

Also I thought you might be interested to know that contact hours at Durham vary. In the first year it is roughly about 12 hours of lectures plus probably 12 tutorials in the term. It can actually get quite heavy! I had a similar workload 2nd year actually (although some people had less depending on modules they picked). But in 3rd year, particularly with the dissertation, let's just say there is more of an emphasis on "independent study".

For the OP- don't beat yourself up about getting a first. They are a lovely bonus and they do open doors that wouldn't be otherwise available, but there are no guarantees! And certainly don't enter university with the expectation that you will automatically get one. Work towards it, and by all means have it as as your driving ambition. However a first is a first for a reason- they are fairly difficult to get!

I will sum it up for you like this. They are all of very similar standard re job prospects in the UK. If anything, I think King's generally tends to attract a slightly lower calibre of student, but that is probably personal bias. Others will vehemently argue differently. I'm not really interested in getting into any debates like that, because they tend to be very circular and unnecessary. The bottom line is, they are all very good. If you are intending to work in the UK, your decision should be conditioned by non-academic factors, like the feel you have for each city, the cost of living (higher in London), the fact you may spend the rest of your life living in London (which made me decide to go away for 3 years) and the social life.
    Agreed. It probably would have been better to phrase it as "any of the unis in contention don't require one to worry about reputation as a factor."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violenti)
    You would be mad beyond belief to reject an offer from Bristol, in the hope of going to UCL or KCL. By way of background I came to Bristol last September having read Law at KCL. KCL is a great University, but it does not have the same feel as Bristol, in as much as the campus is spread far and wide, and there is no collegiate atmosphere at all. Secondly Law firms , Chambers and Investment Banks spend a truly embarrasing amount of money in sponsoring the law club here and putting on weekly events. By comparison to KCL , I was surprised just how much more firms spend here at Bristol in wooing Bristol students. Out of all the clubs and societies at Bristol the Law club has the most money, for social events, which is well into six figures.

At KCL, the lecturers didnt care if you attended or how well/badly you did. They were more interested in research, and I amongst others got the distinct impression , lecturers were interested in research only, and saw lecturing as a chore.

Whereas here the tutors really do care, and often at the request of a student will give you one to one tution , if you ask for it, no matter how many times you ask for it!

The law social scence is truly amazing , and is the envy of EVERY other subject in the Uni. The balls, parties, pub crawls, nights out happen at least once a week, all of which is sponsored by Law firms and Banks!

By way of example, this year DLA Piper sponsored the law freshers weekend, in which for £30.00, you got a weekend away in Alton Towers, hotel, coach fair, food, free entry, free rides and a large drinks tab behinf the bar. I was very jealous!

The biggest regret I have about Bristol is.... not coming here as an undergrad!

I cannot fault the place, the uni, or the law faculty!
    Thanks for your detailed reply!
    From what I've been hearing it seems that most people would recommend Bristol over KCL!
    I'm an international student so the whole collegiate system certainly seems more appealing!
    Think I'm rather set on Bristol now. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    There is no collegiate system at Bristol or KCL; Durham has a collegiate system. That is one of its major advantages. Given that it's my understanding that you don't hold offers from Durham, King's or UCL, I would say simply going to Bristol is definitely the wise choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamTJ)
    There is no collegiate system at Bristol or KCL; Durham has a collegiate system. That is one of its major advantages. Given that it's my understanding that you don't hold offers from Durham, King's or UCL, I would say simply going to Bristol is definitely the wise choice.
    Yup but I'm on some sort of a gap year so I can still apply once more this september. So my place in Bristol will still be confirmed but I can try my luck with the others?
    However, it now seems that Bristol is the right place to go to so I'm reconsidering applying at all!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.