Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    I said in my application that I left school without sitting my GCSEs. Further, I chose different exam boards for each subject and sat them eight years after the first time I took GCSEs. So, as far as the medical schools are concerned, I have not done resits. - Also, I thought it was resits of A levels modules medical schools were pedantic about? Anyway, I guess it could be the reason I was rejected.

And no, I didn't get any interviews.
    That does actually count as lying by omission and could actually have some pretty serious consequences if they find out, as they may have accepted you based on a lie, and the lying itself is not a quality you would want to see in a doctor or potential doctor.

Also, most med schools are ok about A level resits, provided that they're within the 2 years that you do your As and A levels.

ReputationRep:
    I said in my application that I left school without sitting my GCSEs. Further, I chose different exam boards for each subject and sat them eight years after the first time I took GCSEs. So, as far as the medical schools are concerned, I have not done resits. - Also, I thought it was resits of A levels modules medical schools were pedantic about? Anyway, I guess it could be the reason I was rejected.

If you dont get in this year and you apply next year make sure you put your original GCSE grades on you application. If you get into a medical school and they find out you lied on your ucas app they will take your place off you and you could end up black listed for any other med school. Its not worth the chance. just put it down.

As far as you application goes. Basically there are people on here with a better application than you and they got rejected too. It is just the way it is.
    Keep your head up, keep positive and keep trying.
    Good luck for next year.
    (and dont forget to put those GCSEs down on the ucas form )

ReputationRep:
    possibly you need a fourth AS level.

And everyone shut up about lying

ReputationRep:
    I have only one of my choices left, having been rejected from all my other applications, and I'm not at all sure why.

A brief outline of my background: I am 26 years old and I left school with pretty awful grades (6 Cs and 3 Ds). I subsequently worked in a bar for 4-5 years and then went travelling for a year. When I returned, I took a job as a carer for people with mental disabilties. I worked here for two years and it was during this time that I first began to consider going to medical school. After careful consideration and some soul searching, I decided to go for it. I used my savings to pay to study 9 GCSEs through the NEC (a disance learning provider). I completed my GCSEs two years ago and achieved 8 A*s and an A. I am currently studying for A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I took my AS levels last Summer and achieved AAA. I have also taken my UKCAT and got 708 (which I understand is pretty good), and yet I am still being rejected without even being interviewed.

So, in summary, I have decent GCSEs and AS levels, a good UKCAT score, two years experience in a caring role and a personal statement my tutor described as "inspiring". So why on earth am I still being rejected? :confused: Have I wasted my money, three years of my life and a whole lot of effort for nothing? I am verily frustrated to tears.
    I dont understand! I think you would be the perfect kind of medical applicant! Where did you apply?

ReputationRep:

I do think you lack clinical work experience and I can't remember, but I don't think you've done any voluntary experience either - both things medical schools are keen on. If you haven't spent any time in a clinical environment how can you be making an informed decision that medicine is right for you..?

Also, did you contact your medical schools to ask if your academics were suitable before you applied? In a case like yours I would have thought it a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, you're very similar to me background-wise.

My GCSE's on leaving school were slightly better so I didn't resit them (5As, 4Bs, 2Cs) however they are nowhere near as good as your resat ones!
    My UKCAT wasn't as good either (665)
    My AS levels are the same, but I'm also doing psychology AS this year, and an extended project.

I'm 23 and worked in hotels on reception for 3-4 yrs, then got a job in a microbiology lab which I was made redundant from so decided to apply to med school. (cutting a long story very short!)

I think your application is way better than mine, but unfortunately you didn't apply to the right places it seems medicine application just seems to be really bureaucratic and horrible. I really feel for you. The only thing you seemed to be missing was the obsessive research into entry requirements.

Send me a message if you want

ReputationRep:
    You applied to St Georges yet their entry requirements state very clearly that GCSE resits are not accepted.

http://www.sgul.ac.uk/undergraduate/...-of-curriculum

Candidates must meet the following academic requirements:

GCSEs or equivalent: Candidates require at least 416 points from their top 8 subjects at GCSE, i.e. an average of grade A. (A* - 58, A - 52, B - 46, C - 40, D - 34, E - 28). When calculating GCSE scores, candidates must include scores achieved in Maths, English Language, and Dual Award or Single Sciences. GCSE English Language must be at least a grade B. Resists are not accepted, except for GCSE English Language.

It is no good people on this thread advising him to keep up hope and try re applying next year.

Unless he´s got evidence of some pretty serious extenuaating circumstances then I don´t see much hope of things being any different on his acceptance next year.

My advice would be to email each individual med school with the following: I have X Y and Z gcse´s from the year blah, I have recently resat gcse´s X Y and Z and now have the grades blah blah blah. Will you accept me?

ReputationRep:
    Medical schools talk a lot of ****. They always seem to tell you the wrong things. It sometimes depends on who you speak to though.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Birmingham, Sheffield, St Georges and HYMS. My only other job was working in a bar for about 4 years (I had little ambition or direction at this point in my life).
    I dont think you applied smartly with your UKCAT score. If you had applied to Newcastle and Barts, you would of been guranteed an interview (both there cut of is around 650 this year). Also Kings would of been good too, 8A* with 700+ UKCAT your guranteed an interview! For your last choice, you could pick one that looks at your personal statment too so Manchester. People with 650- UKCAT and a decent personal statment (yours would of been good if you had written it well), you would of also easily got an interview. Thats 4 choices, if you take a gap year (which in your case i would highly recommend) than re-apply to SMARTLY chosen Universitys - then im pretty sure you'll be succesful.

All the best

ReputationRep:
    I have only one of my choices left, having been rejected from all my other applications, and I'm not at all sure why.

A brief outline of my background: I am 26 years old and I left school with pretty awful grades (6 Cs and 3 Ds). I subsequently worked in a bar for 4-5 years and then went travelling for a year. When I returned, I took a job as a carer for people with mental disabilties. I worked here for two years and it was during this time that I first began to consider going to medical school. After careful consideration and some soul searching, I decided to go for it. I used my savings to pay to study 9 GCSEs through the NEC (a disance learning provider). I completed my GCSEs two years ago and achieved 8 A*s and an A. I am currently studying for A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I took my AS levels last Summer and achieved AAA. I have also taken my UKCAT and got 708 (which I understand is pretty good), and yet I am still being rejected without even being interviewed.

So, in summary, I have decent GCSEs and AS levels, a good UKCAT score, two years experience in a caring role and a personal statement my tutor described as "inspiring". So why on earth am I still being rejected? :confused: Have I wasted my money, three years of my life and a whole lot of effort for nothing? I am verily frustrated to tears.
    I think you should ask for feedback, and then contact universities directly regarding your application and how they'd view it. Also, do some more experience if possible, and make sure that your reasons for retaking GCSEs e.t.c are written in your reference.

Medicine's just really competitive and things like messing up your GCSEs first time round will affect your application, because there's so many getting good grades first time round.

Anyway, I strongly recommend contacting universities.

EDIT: Also, maybe give UEA and Leicester a go? I've heard that they look favourably upon applicants with experience etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure that it's not your GCSE resits that's the problem - surely they give credit to people who've turned their life around like you have (which is awesome btw ).

I think the problem is that you haven't looked into the admissions processes closely enough - it requires a LOT of time and research to get it right, as other people have said. You were just under the quota for both Sheffield, B'ham and St Georges which is a pain

My advice would be to finish up your a-levels and apply next year, but this time do a LOT of research (and pester on here until you know you're pretty much guaranteed an interview in the places you applied to!). Surely taking another year out won't make so much difference now?

I really hope you get it eventually! I'm sure you will

ReputationRep:
    Combination of applying to the wrong places, resitting GCSEs and a PS that doesn't quite hit the spot would be my guess. The lack of work experience or any other significant experience of a healthcare environment would tie into the PS problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colabottles)
    I'm sure that it's not your GCSE resits that's the problem - surely they give credit to people who've turned their life around like you have (which is awesome btw ).

I think the problem is that you haven't looked into the admissions processes closely enough - it requires a LOT of time and research to get it right, as other people have said. You were just under the quota for both Sheffield, B'ham and St Georges which is a pain

My advice would be to finish up your a-levels and apply next year, but this time do a LOT of research (and pester on here until you know you're pretty much guaranteed an interview in the places you applied to!). Surely taking another year out won't make so much difference now?

I really hope you get it eventually! I'm sure you will
    You applied to St Georges yet their entry requirements state very clearly that GCSE resits are not accepted.

http://www.sgul.ac.uk/undergraduate/...-of-curriculum

Candidates must meet the following academic requirements:

GCSEs or equivalent: Candidates require at least 416 points from their top 8 subjects at GCSE, i.e. an average of grade A. (A* - 58, A - 52, B - 46, C - 40, D - 34, E - 28). When calculating GCSE scores, candidates must include scores achieved in Maths, English Language, and Dual Award or Single Sciences. GCSE English Language must be at least a grade B. Resists are not accepted, except for GCSE English Language.

It is no good people on this thread advising him to keep up hope and try re applying next year.

Unless he´s got evidence of some pretty serious extenuaating circumstances then I don´t see much hope of things being any different on his acceptance next year.

My advice would be to email each individual med school with the following: I have X Y and Z gcse´s from the year blah, I have recently resat gcse´s X Y and Z and now have the grades blah blah blah. Will you accept me?

Er why the neg?

I explained that it´s no good him reapplying next year unless he is certain that his resat grades are acceptable.
    Yes he went to loads of effort getting work exp and retaking exams, BUT crucially he did not check that he met the entry criteria of the uni´s he applied to.
    I gave the example as SGUL as the no resits policy is listed very clearly on the entry requirements on their homepage.

Yes this guy has worked his socks off and is gutted at not getting an interview, but please lets not forget that he lied to admissions/UCAS about his grades. He told them he left school without any GCSE´s which is simply not true, he did but as they were C´s and D´s he retook them 8 years later and is trying to now get in on his better resat grades without following the fair procedure of submitting evidence of extenuating circumstances. If he doesn´t have evidence of ext.circumstances and just decided to lie instead then it is unfair and I can understand why admissions may have a problem with him.
    Loads of people worked bloody hard and got rejections this year, admissions require evidence of extenuating circumstances

ReputationRep:
    Can i firstly just say that i'm inspired by your story - i actually sheded a tear secondly, well done for all you've achieved, your motivation and your passion and thirdly these are the following problems you may/may have had:

1-You applied to Birmingham - i know so many people with 9A* that still got rejected. Bottom line is Birmingham love their A*'s and you need at least 10 to have any hope in hell

2- You've done an extensive and amazing work experience, but you need more placements/experience, either once a week in a care home, a hospice or something. Also, how was your personal statement, I could read it if you like. I'm sure it was inspiring but did you reflect enough on the one work experience you did have? did you relate everything to medicine and being a doctor? did you show a REALISTIC appreciation of what being a doctor is REALLY like?

3-Your University choices - every year a lot of people choose the wrong set of universities and regret it. Did you look at what each uni wanted before you applied, e.g. their entry requirements? did you ensure you met all those, for example you have one fewer AS's than more universities require. Try choosing your universities more wisely

Nevertheless, dont take it too personally as this year has been crazy competitive, and also well done on your UKCAT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SylveeDiggs)

1-You applied to Birmingham - i know so many people with 9A* that still got rejected. Bottom line is Birmingham love their A*'s and you need at least 10 to have any hope in hell
    Don't lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Don't lie.
    Its the truth¬¬ so many people get rejected with 8 or 9 A*'s and im just saying dont apply if you dont have that or you might be rejected

ReputationRep:
    Its the truth¬¬ so many people get rejected with 8 or 9 A*'s and im just saying dont apply if you dont have that or you might be rejected
    Yeah people get rejected with those, but people also get accepted. Its not the be all and end all oof applying to Brimingham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    Yeah people get rejected with those, but people also get accepted. Its not the be all and end all oof applying to Brimingham.
    Yes i am perfectly aware of that im just telling this gentleman that that may have been one of the reasons for a rejection from b'ham!

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have 8, that's all that matters for GCSEs for Birmingham it appears this year. People with 12 A*s were rejected pre-interview, others with 8A*s given offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    As long as you have 8, that's all that matters for GCSEs for Birmingham it appears this year. People with 12 A*s were rejected pre-interview, others with 8A*s given offers.
    Really? thanks, just thought cos all my friends with like 9A*'s got rejected by B'ham and they're virtually perfect i thought...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.