Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    I have only one of my choices left, having been rejected from all my other applications, and I'm not at all sure why.

A brief outline of my background: I am 26 years old and I left school with pretty awful grades (6 Cs and 3 Ds). I subsequently worked in a bar for 4-5 years and then went travelling for a year. When I returned, I took a job as a carer for people with mental disabilties. I worked here for two years and it was during this time that I first began to consider going to medical school. After careful consideration and some soul searching, I decided to go for it. I used my savings to pay to study 9 GCSEs through the NEC (a disance learning provider). I completed my GCSEs two years ago and achieved 8 A*s and an A. I am currently studying for A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I took my AS levels last Summer and achieved AAA. I have also taken my UKCAT and got 708 (which I understand is pretty good), and yet I am still being rejected without even being interviewed.

So, in summary, I have decent GCSEs and AS levels, a good UKCAT score, two years experience in a caring role and a personal statement my tutor described as "inspiring". So why on earth am I still being rejected? :confused: Have I wasted my money, three years of my life and a whole lot of effort for nothing? I am verily frustrated to tears.
    You have my condolences. You seem like a truly dedicated and committed person. I'm sure you'll get that offer. If not you shouldn't give up, get those A*'s at A2 level, and reapply next year.....they'd be stupid not to accept you.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Birmingham, Sheffield, St Georges and HYMS. My only other job was working in a bar for about 4 years (I had little ambition or direction at this point in my life).
    You'll have misses the cut off for Sheffield. I did the same with a UKCAT of 710 - thought it was high enough but Sheffield you needed 717.5 to get an interview. Sorry :| Good luck with your last option!

ReputationRep:
    I have only one of my choices left, having been rejected from all my other applications, and I'm not at all sure why.

A brief outline of my background: I am 26 years old and I left school with pretty awful grades (6 Cs and 3 Ds). I subsequently worked in a bar for 4-5 years and then went travelling for a year. When I returned, I took a job as a carer for people with mental disabilties. I worked here for two years and it was during this time that I first began to consider going to medical school. After careful consideration and some soul searching, I decided to go for it. I used my savings to pay to study 9 GCSEs through the NEC (a disance learning provider). I completed my GCSEs two years ago and achieved 8 A*s and an A. I am currently studying for A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I took my AS levels last Summer and achieved AAA. I have also taken my UKCAT and got 708 (which I understand is pretty good), and yet I am still being rejected without even being interviewed.

So, in summary, I have decent GCSEs and AS levels, a good UKCAT score, two years experience in a caring role and a personal statement my tutor described as "inspiring". So why on earth am I still being rejected? :confused: Have I wasted my money, three years of my life and a whole lot of effort for nothing? I am verily frustrated to tears.
    That's very sad. What were your choices?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FaraxZeroIncome)
    That's very sad. What were your choices?
    Sheffield
    Birmingham
    St Georges
    HYMS

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield
    Birmingham
    St Georges
    HYMS
    I definitely think it's the choices. St Georges, no one should try for, Birmingham are straight up biatches.

I would have recommended Peninsula and maybe Med+Foundation year at East Anglia. Barts would also be on my list.

I think you got unlucky because of the tuition business and the record UCAS applicants. This year was tough on everybody. Fack Nick Clegg.

Also go on this website instead, I don't think this forum will help you on this topic. http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/forum.php

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by delphie)
    You applied to St Georges yet their entry requirements state very clearly that GCSE resits are not accepted.

http://www.sgul.ac.uk/undergraduate/...-of-curriculum

Candidates must meet the following academic requirements:

GCSEs or equivalent: Candidates require at least 416 points from their top 8 subjects at GCSE, i.e. an average of grade A. (A* - 58, A - 52, B - 46, C - 40, D - 34, E - 28). When calculating GCSE scores, candidates must include scores achieved in Maths, English Language, and Dual Award or Single Sciences. GCSE English Language must be at least a grade B. Resists are not accepted, except for GCSE English Language.

It is no good people on this thread advising him to keep up hope and try re applying next year.

Unless he´s got evidence of some pretty serious extenuaating circumstances then I don´t see much hope of things being any different on his acceptance next year.

My advice would be to email each individual med school with the following: I have X Y and Z gcse´s from the year blah, I have recently resat gcse´s X Y and Z and now have the grades blah blah blah. Will you accept me?

Er why the neg?

I explained that it´s no good him reapplying next year unless he is certain that his resat grades are acceptable.
    Yes he went to loads of effort getting work exp and retaking exams, BUT crucially he did not check that he met the entry criteria of the uni´s he applied to.
    I gave the example as SGUL as the no resits policy is listed very clearly on the entry requirements on their homepage.

Yes this guy has worked his socks off and is gutted at not getting an interview, but please lets not forget that he lied to admissions/UCAS about his grades. He told them he left school without any GCSE´s which is simply not true, he did but as they were C´s and D´s he retook them 8 years later and is trying to now get in on his better resat grades without following the fair procedure of submitting evidence of extenuating circumstances. If he doesn´t have evidence of ext.circumstances and just decided to lie instead then it is unfair and I can understand why admissions may have a problem with him.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.