Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of doing medicine and I wanted to know what subjects to choose for the Alevels.

AS
    Biology,Chemistry and the two other subjects not so sure (probably Geography and economics) and DON'T tell me to choose Math ! (do you think geo and eco is ok)
    A2
    Biology,chemistry and geo or eco so what do you think.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    They are fine, you have Biology and Chemistry and they are the two that matter...

ReputationRep:
    If not pure math then physics or applied math?
    Math seems really important for medicine, my friend's doing another year because she didn't take math and wants to do medicine as well. Most universities ask for it specifically, you might want to consider it.

ETA: Error has been acknowledged although you might want to look at thread starter's post below.
    He wants to get into Cornell Qatar which require 'The equivalent of an American college preparatory education, including rigorous 'university preparatory' or advanced mathematics, chemistry, biology, physics and other relevant subjects.'

ReputationRep:
    They're fine!

I'm hoping to do medicine too, I have chosen: biology, chemistry, maths and history

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mintmocha)
    If not pure math then physics or applied math?
    Math seems really important for medicine, my friend's doing another year because she didn't take math and wants to do medicine as well. Most universities ask for it specifically, you might want to consider it.
    Does it? Which Unis is she applying to?
    I know chemistry is a must have. But universities generally say two sciences... Most applicants have biology and chemistry under their belt anyway. Some but not all ask for three sciences...

I've never heard of 'most' Universities actually stating that maths is a necessity for medicine.
    Maybe I'm wrong, I'll have a little mooch on google...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WizardOfOz#1)
    Does it? Which Unis is she applying to?
    I know chemistry is a must have. But universities generally say two sciences... Most applicants have biology and chemistry under their belt anyway. Some but not all ask for three sciences...

I've never heard of 'most' Universities actually stating that maths is a necessity for medicine.
    Maybe I'm wrong, I'll have a little mooch on google...
    Well a math-based subject thus I recommended physics as well.

On the Imperial College Entry Requirements website:"three A levels, including chemistry and/or biology and one science or mathematics subject"

Birmingham: "Two A levels from Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology and Physics; Biology at AS level minimum is advised"

St. Andrews: "AAA (Advanced levels) including Chemistry and one other of Biology, Mathematics or Physics."

To name a few.

ReputationRep:

On the Imperial College Entry Requirements website:"three A levels, including chemistry and/or biology and one science or mathematics subject"

Birmingham: " Two A levels from Mathematics,Chemistry, Biology and Physics; Biology at AS level minimum is advised"

St. Andrews: "AAA (Advanced levels) including Chemistry and one other of Biology, Mathematics or Physics."

To name a few.
    The few which you have named are also a few of the top medical institutions within the country.

When I quoted you, I focused on what you had initially stated, the idea that most Universities specify maths at A-level which I certainly found hard to swallow. Also, I did say some Universities ask for two sciences(thank you for providing me with two examples to work from), and others for three i.e Imperial.

Given the information you've provided me with, it would appear that biology and chemistry would be sufficient for both Saint Andrews and Birmingham. Therefore mathematics at A level is not a necessity. So, the OP would be able to gain a place at either Uni based on just subject grades alone.

Your argument would be more plausible if you stated that it's desirable and puts the applicant in a better position, however it is not a 'do or die' so to speak.

If the OP doesn't want to attend Imperial and other Universities which ask for maths, I don't really see a problem with his four subject choices. It's much wiser and logical for someone who is not confident with maths/physics to take non-science subjects which they will excel in, than take maths and fail to attain AAA at A level wouldn't you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGdude)
    I'm thinking of doing medicine and I wanted to know what subjects to choose for the Alevels.

AS
    Biology,Chemistry and the two other subjects not so sure (probably Geography and economics) and DON'T tell me to choose Math ! (do you think geo and eco is ok)
    A2
    Biology,chemistry and geo or eco so what do you think.
    Maths I would have said until I read that bit of your post. lol. If you don't want Maths, make sure you check the universities you would like to apply to and find out whether they ask for a Maths AS / A Level or not.

I know some fellow students who didn't check it and found out at the beginning of second year when they started applying for uni. This was surely too late and they had to give themselves satisfied with a university far lower than their capabilities.

So, check what other subjects they ask for and do any of them. Otherwise just choose any 2 like the ones you mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't do maths, its highly unlikely that you will get a place - get rid of economics seeing as it holds no value to a med-school application

ReputationRep:

Birmingham: "Two A levels from Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology and Physics; Biology at AS level minimum is advised"

To name a few.
    None of those require you to have maths, they just say you can have maths in place of a science subject.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is the essential subject and Biology is also one that most universities will want, the rest subjects are up to you so you can choose whatever you like and Geography and Economics are good for that

Good Luck with your application.

ReputationRep:
    I would personally choose Economics (not that im being biased or anythin) although it has no relevance to your chosen career path

ReputationRep:
    The thing is I live in Qatar (Which is in the middle east.) and there's only one university which is Cornell university a really great medical school ! http://qatar-weill.cornell.edu/educa...uirements.html check the site !

The equivalent of an American college preparatory education, including rigorous 'university preparatory' or advanced mathematics, chemistry, biology, physics and other relevant subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura94)
    None of those require you to have maths, they just say you can have maths in place of a science subject.
    Hrm, error has been acknowledged.
    I must tell my friend this, she's actually taking a gap year to do Math but I think she's focusing on the competitve edge aspect.

The thing is I live in Qatar (Which is in the middle east.) and there's only one university which is Cornell university a really great medical school ! http://qatar-weill.cornell.edu/educa...uirements.html check the site !

The equivalent of an American college preparatory education, including rigorous 'university preparatory' or advanced mathematics, chemistry, biology, physics and other relevant subjects.
    That's awesome, neighbor!
    I reside in the UAE (:

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump
    I think you should take Maths - considering it is not as hard as Chemistry or Biology in my opinion you should get along just fine. I am sure it will be an advantage for your medical school application. If you don't want to take it to A level just do the AS.

ReputationRep:
    chemistry is the subject that definitely matters - you need it for AS and A2. The next best ones are biology and maths, but i know you don't want to do maths
    I'm going into sixth form next year wanting to do medicine at uni and i'm taking biology, chemistry, maths and physics, but i might swap physics for french depending on what happens in my interview :/

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.