Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    good luck people with exams, i have an osce in 2/3 weeks! eeek!! and also some mother and baby work to hand in..tooooooo much toooo soon, first semester is almost at an end and its starting to pick up the pace now work wise and its gettign scary

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a big fan of them either. Makes a change though.
    I've been revising though and the nervous system has virtually sunk in, and i'm probably going to start on the endocrine or reproductive tomorrow and spend majority of the day doing it to be honest. =\ I've got an anatomy book that really breaks it down to the main stuff you need to know, so not each section is like a million pages long like the Ross and Wilson one.:p:

That lecture other week bored me too.
    The reproductive one was a bit :hmmm: today I mean she hadn't really prepared anything for us. It was just what she uses for the student midwives but I was kinda glad she said the diagrams wouldn't be as "in depth" with the diagrams she gave us, they confuddled me and stressed me out.:p:

ReputationRep:
    anyone else feeling constantly tired and fed up?

ReputationRep:
    me. apparently studying nursing causes 30% of relationships of students and their partners to break up/have problems.

I am now a statistic .

ReputationRep:
    nooo wheres that statistic from?!

I got to spend the day today with a nurse clinical lead- wow...sooooo much management, why am i in nursing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    nooo wheres that statistic from?!

I got to spend the day today with a nurse clinical lead- wow...sooooo much management, why am i in nursing
    support officer

ReputationRep:
    Ive got a stupid OSCE today

grrrr

SO nervous, i know i can do it but i KNOW im gonna let my nerves get the best of me

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ReputationRep:

grrrr

SO nervous, i know i can do it but i KNOW im gonna let my nerves get the best of me

good luck! i hated doing mine! x

ReputationRep:

grrrr

We had a practice session on ours today... I've got mine next friday hope it went well though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enchanté)
    We had a practice session on ours today... I've got mine next friday hope it went well though!

it didn't i reckon ive failed...

- I didn't record the readings as soon as i did them, did them all at the end

- This stupid fan was blowing in my way and i found it really hard to hear the blood pressure so i reckon ive gone way off on it

- When asked about abnormal readings i said the bp was high (which it was) and that the temperature was low (i said compared to previous recordings, ie previously it had been around 37.3-38) - BUT failed to mention her respirations were low as they were 7!!!

ugh..so 3 major things ive messed up on

always retakes i guess

ReputationRep:
    What was you OCSE on?

Ours is medication....

Was yours obs or something. :s:

aw :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enchanté)
    What was you OCSE on?

Ours is medication....

Was yours obs or something. :s:

aw :hugs:

yeah obs, we dont have a medication one

ReputationRep:
    practiced today and did ok. just need to remember to check for allergies!! i keep forgetting

ReputationRep:
    God I swear because my housemates are 2nd year nurses they think they're better than you. :dong: That's not really nursing related at all but stilll Grrrr! Only 2 months then i'm out of that house and back on campus thank god.

ReputationRep:
    I have a random question.
    I have an (old clinical skills book) right
    It's kinda laid out as attached in this excel chart.

Quick explaination to you peeps as other universities are probably not all the same, and I know the only other nurse who goes to my uni (herbal bug) has a different newer one of these.
    Mines kept before I went on leave of absense.

But yeah,

Fin- 1,2,3 are each placement/module.
    And I suppose the levels are pretty explainable but anyhoo, I know skills have to be signed off by the end of the year.
    but my question was for Fin 1&2 the white box is greyed out so you can't sign but white in fin 3 where the signature can go.
    Would it be right to say you get signed off for these skills in your final placement, where the mentor can sign? seeing as the other two boxes are blanked out basically.

Surely if you had to have them signed off each module they'd make the signature box availiable yes?

This probably doesn't make sense at all by the way, i'm going to talk to a friend who has the same book tomorrow.
    My personal tutor seems to think you do.:s: but she's newish since like Jnauary she is only really famliar with the new books.

Edit: I've just looked in the front of my clinical skills and is says they sign you off when you reach level 4 which is only in the fin 3 placement.
    Meh guess i'll explain to my personal tutor tomorrow.:p: and show her if she questions it.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xls example.xls (20.0 KB, 73 views)

ReputationRep:
    In the essential skills (blue pages) you just need it signed in one box out of the three modules. e.g i have done IM injections in module 2 but wont be doing them in my next placement. however, i am signed off for these injections as i got to practice this skill in placement. does that make any sense? xxx

ReputationRep:
    We dont get a medicine administration osce, basically next monday i have a mandatory session on it, then in the afternoon got a 4 hour pratice session then when we feel ready we get asessed...

i dont think i'd want any more OSCE's!!

ReputationRep:
    We dont get a medicine administration osce, basically next monday i have a mandatory session on it, then in the afternoon got a 4 hour pratice session then when we feel ready we get asessed...

i dont think i'd want any more OSCE's!!
    How do I not know what a OSCE is? I qualify in like 2 months and I have never done one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Floozie)
    How do I not know what a OSCE is? I qualify in like 2 months and I have never done one!

only brought in a year ago, med students have them too

basically clinical skills, like taking obs, handwashing..medicine administration are done via a pratical exam in uni

then the other clinical skills, like entereal feeding..fluid balance recording, iv etc is done on pratice but via an asessment

thats what happens at nottingham anyway, i have 60 clinical skills to get done in the next 2.5 years :woo:

only done 3 so far :p: ...and 2 OSCES

ReputationRep:
    only brought in a year ago, med students have them too

basically clinical skills, like taking obs, handwashing..medicine administration are done via a pratical exam in uni

then the other clinical skills, like entereal feeding..fluid balance recording, iv etc is done on pratice but via an asessment

thats what happens at nottingham anyway, i have 60 clinical skills to get done in the next 2.5 years :woo:

only done 3 so far :p: ...and 2 OSCES
    we've had OSCEs at our uni for the last three years, maybe you just have something similar under a different name?!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 2, 2011

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.