Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im having an I hate nurses day too

Am feeling rather static on placement- I have 2 mentors, one is a great teacher- very student orientated and gets me stuck in, the other is absoloutely lovely but not the best with students. I've been with the 'other' one today and I'ev spent the whole day just doing her paperwork, not got any praise for things ive done right..and get a right telling off for really minor things, she was rushing round with a patient whilst I was doing her..surprise surprise, paperwork, and needed to take a tissued cannula out, she went to phone the doctor to pop a new one in, I offered to take it out whilst she did that and told me no, and took it out herself, like, what- i'm not allowed?! It made so much sense i took it out whilst she was doing that task! She was really funny about me mixing some IV abx last week too (something ive done a fair amount-plus if she was unsure i could do it, why didn't she teach me, instead of snatch and take over when I was going 'too slow'?!) On top of that one of my goals is to give confident and concise handovers, and she keeps interupting me, when im giving it if I pause, maybe the nurse is still writing or im changing paperwork...she'll interupt me and go 'have you mentioned' or 'don't forget', and then end up finishing off!!!!

She keeps insisting i go home REALLY early, don't do things..and take a seat and watch, take extra breaks when not needed. I know she's being nice, but i'm here to learn and do now, not to watch. Especially as everything she can do, she's SEEN me do and knows i'm competant! I'm really bored when I'm with her, and it's getting on my nerves as the other mentor is very much a 'do and learn' mentor which suits my style of learning perfectly!

It's frustrating me i'm not with the same mentor everyday, and im having to swap and change, they tell me different things and it's really making what was a lovely placement, really frustrating!

By working with this other mentor, I'm NOT achieving the level needed..and im panicking now as my other mentor (main one) isn't actually in next week and the other one is, and she's going to be the one to sign me off..and i've not been doing ANY level 3 work with her, or managing a patient!

ARGH

ReputationRep:
    ^
    Ahh must be fustrating! Could you not have a word with the mentor you like and just mention that you learn better with actually doing rather than watching and find it hard with the other one?

I'm very smiley today! found out my first placement - it just says ' community health ' but i have no other info where as other people who are at the hospital etc.. have numbers/address so I'm hoping it will upload sooon with more information.

So what kind of things will i be doing in the community do you think? ahh excited!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    ^
    Ahh must be fustrating! Could you not have a word with the mentor you like and just mention that you learn better with actually doing rather than watching and find it hard with the other one?

I'm very smiley today! found out my first placement - it just says ' community health ' but i have no other info where as other people who are at the hospital etc.. have numbers/address so I'm hoping it will upload sooon with more information.

So what kind of things will i be doing in the community do you think? ahh excited!!
    My first community placement (module 2 for 2 weeks) involved lots of injections and home visits, so seeing how people were managing at home.

my current placement is more or less the same with loooads of depots, assessments, initial screenings for mental illnesses, visits to check on people.

no day is ever the same I love it
    when do you start it? Good luck btw.

ReputationRep:
    ^

I was going to have a word today but today was manic, I have the other mentor tomorrow and think Im going to try and be a bit more proactive and speak up.

Community health- a placement i'm YET to do! You could be doing district nursing, health visitors, school nursing, a centre..there are loads of things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by herbal bug)
    My first community placement (module 2 for 2 weeks) involved lots of injections and home visits, so seeing how people were managing at home.

my current placement is more or less the same with loooads of depots, assessments, initial screenings for mental illnesses, visits to check on people.

no day is ever the same I love it
    when do you start it? Good luck btw.

Oo sounds good! It sounds like it would suit me more than in a hospital.. but then again I havent worked in a hospital yet! are you enjoyin your placement atm?

I start 24th May

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    I was going to have a word today but today was manic, I have the other mentor tomorrow and think Im going to try and be a bit more proactive and speak up.

Community health- a placement i'm YET to do! You could be doing district nursing, health visitors, school nursing, a centre..there are loads of things!
    Oo... I just assumed it was District Nursing:O Didn't think of other things - wow excited now! I'd love to go with a health visitor and see the new born babies aww! and wouldnt mind going to a school/centre!!!

Definitely try and say something! Because they are there to help you and if you feel you're not learning with the other mentor then it is important!

By the way.. are you allowed to tell people about your placements? Just not sure...i'm sure I heard that your not allowed to say what hospital & ward etc.. case somebody knows someone!
    Or is it ok?

ReputationRep:
    Oo... I just assumed it was District Nursing:O Didn't think of other things - wow excited now! I'd love to go with a health visitor and see the new born babies aww! and wouldnt mind going to a school/centre!!!

Definitely try and say something! Because they are there to help you and if you feel you're not learning with the other mentor then it is important!

By the way.. are you allowed to tell people about your placements? Just not sure...i'm sure I heard that your not allowed to say what hospital & ward etc.. case somebody knows someone!
    Or is it ok?

on fb we say where we're going on wards etc to friends, but on here i'd neve rmention the hospital Im at or ward. Just use common sense

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, we're the same.
    On fb we mention the ward or similar, anywhere apart from that i dont give away any details, i tend to just talk about it in the context of what area of nursing it is etc.

ReputationRep:
    Oo sounds good! It sounds like it would suit me more than in a hospital.. but then again I havent worked in a hospital yet! are you enjoyin your placement atm?

I start 24th May
    in short yes
    I dont want to leave, my mentor is great, the work is great, the staff are great, the job is great
    I'd do this when i qualified but a. its a band 6 position due to the autonomy and responsibility and b. i dont drive which is crucial.
    I'm off to that very placement
    byeeeeeeeeeeeee x

ReputationRep:
    YAY

Placement went 100x better today with the 'wasn't so very good' mentor, now she's the 'fab mentor' lol

I asked after one or two patients to have a patient as my 'own' Ie I take charge with a lot of the care and make decisions, administered drugs, took the lead in pressure area care and manual handling and did paperwork. I had a neuro patient- which meant doing neuro obs aswell, and it was a bit major operation- but I did so well!!! I did obs on time, i even managed a rather hauty doctor pretty well too- and diplomatic!! Aswell as got praise from the nurse recieving on a good handover!

As I went home my mentor told me how well i'd worked today- I just think ive had one of those days where everything has just 'clicked'!!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you've had a good day

Ive been tackling through the revision today. Had a bit of a motivational moment last night, im not gonna get anywhere without working my ass off so gotta start somewhere. Nearly a year has gone so time will fly by, plus im quite looking forward to what i could have as 2nd year placements etc. Saying that i was cursing being inside instead of out in a sunny beer garden earlier!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky_90)
    Sounds like you've had a good day

Ive been tackling through the revision today. Had a bit of a motivational moment last night, im not gonna get anywhere without working my ass off so gotta start somewhere. Nearly a year has gone so time will fly by, plus im quite looking forward to what i could have as 2nd year placements etc. Saying that i was cursing being inside instead of out in a sunny beer garden earlier!
    Time does go quick..I can't believe im half way through my 2nd year already and almost finished my acute placement! I'm starting to think about 3rd year now, dissertations...and..the dreaded word 'qualifying' keeps coming up in conversation etc and nurses telling me to think about where i want to go now!

On the other hand

BURSARY DAY TOMORROW!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I am sooo looking forward to being out on placement again! Sooo much work to do at the moment....week 1 of 6 is almost complete and I have 6 weeks to revise for my nursing practice exam, and also my biomedical exam, which is a hell of a lot of work which is ongoing. I also have an essay on health promotion and the assoicated models and theories.
    Kinda want to do it on sexual health to make it a bit more interesting, but relating it to a patient with obesity and the associated health promotion techniques seems so much easier hmmm.

I am extremely jealous of your community placement......I am praying that I get a nice outpatients/ day procedure placement....my next placement is meant to be a medical one so I want something easy lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jason1990)

I am extremely jealous of your community placement......I am praying that I get a nice outpatients/ day procedure placement....my next placement is meant to be a medical one so I want something easy lol
    My first placement had a day case area aswell as the ward, it was one of the busiest places ive worked so far. Was always hectic with people coming and going but it was such a interesting place to spend time. Learnt alot and its a good place to build your patient journey from start to finish.

My next placement is medical aswell. Ive only had surgical so far so im a bit hmm about something medical.

ReputationRep:
    My god i am so tired! LAST DAY TOMORROW! does anyone else buy their mentors presents? I only do if they've been nice.

Ive had such an exhausting day, had to care for my first tracheostomy and was pretty physically and emotionally exhausting, as unfortunately the patient was in their last days, and only young It can really make you love and hate nursing at the same time!

ReputationRep:
    arghhhh how annoying are the physio/other students in that thread!

Saying that they work harder than nursing students???

I only put nursing students work harder to wind them up haa!

ReputationRep:
    arghhhh how annoying are the physio/other students in that thread!

Saying that they work harder than nursing students???

I only put nursing students work harder to wind them up haa!
    I know what you mean a lot of healthcare students- especially some applicant medics, who've never even seen a patient let alone, seen a nurse- seem to have this awful view of nursing students. It really got me down the other night, i'd had a really emotionally exhausting shift (theres a thread about it on studentnurse.org..had a very sad patient, who was very hard to care for in many ways) and then I come home..after a) feeling proud that i'd taken more initative, and worked responsibly and had amazing feedback from staff (one telling me i was acting like a qualified nurse!) and b) Proud I was in nursing, and appreciated the job even more

to then come on here and read that we all consider ourselves to be junior doctors, never do any nursing anymore..we dont work as hard as others...criticism after criticism, I'm really starting to take the 'don't do any proper nursing' criticsm to heart now. I do EVERYTHING for my patients, from asissting with their toileting needs, and pressure area care- right through to liasing with doctors about their pain relief or asessing and documenting wounds, and even being the first one their at an arrest. And come on here- to read things, by people who REALLY do not have a clue about how it really is

And it does upset me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    I know what you mean a lot of healthcare students- especially some applicant medics, who've never even seen a patient let alone, seen a nurse- seem to have this awful view of nursing students. It really got me down the other night, i'd had a really emotionally exhausting shift (theres a thread about it on studentnurse.org..had a very sad patient, who was very hard to care for in many ways) and then I come home..after a) feeling proud that i'd taken more initative, and worked responsibly and had amazing feedback from staff (one telling me i was acting like a qualified nurse!) and b) Proud I was in nursing, and appreciated the job even more

to then come on here and read that we all consider ourselves to be junior doctors, never do any nursing anymore..we dont work as hard as others...criticism after criticism, I'm really starting to take the 'don't do any proper nursing' criticsm to heart now. I do EVERYTHING for my patients, from asissting with their toileting needs, and pressure area care- right through to liasing with doctors about their pain relief or asessing and documenting wounds, and even being the first one their at an arrest. And come on here- to read things, by people who REALLY do not have a clue about how it really is

And it does upset me.

It winds me up! They really don't have a clue!

I was speaking to someone who does computer tech in Uni and the view he had of nursing students...
    He couldn't believe that we had to do sociology, physiology, psychology etc.. just thought we studied about nursing and take people to the toilet etc..also implied that we got it easier compared to other courses and thought that we didn;t get any assignments.. just work on a ward with not much written work.

argh.

Just gota ignore people like that. My dad is another one! My mum and nan have worked in healthcare for years so they understand but my dad just doesn't have a clue and it really annoys me.

ReputationRep:
    It winds me up! They really don't have a clue!

I was speaking to someone who does computer tech in Uni and the view he had of nursing students...
    He couldn't believe that we had to do sociology, physiology, psychology etc.. just thought we studied about nursing and take people to the toilet etc..also implied that we got it easier compared to other courses and thought that we didn;t get any assignments.. just work on a ward with not much written work.

argh.

Just gota ignore people like that. My dad is another one! My mum and nan have worked in healthcare for years so they understand but my dad just doesn't have a clue and it really annoys me.

I know, they don't. I dont even know why they bother posting in those threads, they havn't got a clue about the pressure we face and how much we do on the ward and for our patients. It's a real shame, and it's even more sickening, people like brokenangel, or godspeedghena or that physio student, who claim to be applicants to a medical degree or HCP students, and may think they know it all- but it is just the tip of the iceburg, and there are pressures coming in left right and centre, and the it is insane how much these people THINK they can comment on the state of nursing or care in the NHS, yet they havn't got the foggiest over just what HAS to be done

ReputationRep:
    very true!!

Which is whyy we should have our own separate forum from them!! haha

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 2, 2011

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.