Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    I had an email today from my future mentor (starting next week) i was feeling a bit apprehensive about starting pain team as i wasn't too sure what I could do really, but they were really nice and even wished me a good week off- AND gave me directions to the office..(I GET TO WORK IN AN OFFICE!)
    Aww thats nice what have you got to do on this next placement???

I'm really p****d off with Uni at the moment! We have to do a presentation on FRIDAY about the children's act and nobody will take charge or do any of the work! argh.. i can't do it all on my own!!

Also feeling so ill atm hence why i'm in such a crappy mood! had swine flu jab and Hep B jabs today - both arms are achey! :-/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    I had an email today from my future mentor (starting next week) i was feeling a bit apprehensive about starting pain team as i wasn't too sure what I could do really, but they were really nice and even wished me a good week off- AND gave me directions to the office..(I GET TO WORK IN AN OFFICE!)
    that should be a very interesting placmement......it may of course be a lot more of observing and learning, as opposed to doing and taking initative but a very valuable experience all the same

i have exams and essays coming up......and osce's which i'm surprisingly not too bothered about

have work to do tongiht about a personal model of health and my mind has gone totally blank : S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jason1990)
    that should be a very interesting placmement......it may of course be a lot more of observing and learning, as opposed to doing and taking initative but a very valuable experience all the same

i have exams and essays coming up......and osce's which i'm surprisingly not too bothered about

have work to do tongiht about a personal model of health and my mind has gone totally blank : S

Well i thought so too, but as a second year placement they wouldn't give you a placement where you couldn't do a degree of mangement or working autonomously within what you know- the previous student on there has done pain asessments, during up and setting up PCA's, asessing epidurals, asissting in running clinics- so luckily it wont just be watching!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    Aww thats nice what have you got to do on this next placement???

I'm really p****d off with Uni at the moment! We have to do a presentation on FRIDAY about the children's act and nobody will take charge or do any of the work! argh.. i can't do it all on my own!!

Also feeling so ill atm hence why i'm in such a crappy mood! had swine flu jab and Hep B jabs today - both arms are achey! :-/

I start next week, it's part of my theatre recovery rotation, so technically the same placement- but on a rotation!

My holiday is almost over tho

ReputationRep:
    i have zero motivation at the moment and have lots of work to be done!

ReputationRep:
    I know that feeling, im exactly same at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    yeah me too..i just want to enjoy my week off

ReputationRep:
    Sounds a good idea. Im starting september doing adult nursing at southampton

ReputationRep:
    Im determined to beat this assignment!
    1,000 words down, 1,500 to go. Damn having zero motivation and a screwed up sleeping pattern.

ReputationRep:
    I HATE this course, and I HATE these bloody assignments, and the drivel they expect us to write!

AND, I have no idea how to start revision- ugh!!!

I may actually kill someone tonight- it may be PMT, or may just be student nurse syndrome!!!

ReputationRep:
    Passed my last assignment- wasnt feeling too confident about is so im pleased!
    Had both exams today and think they went pretty good so we'll wait and see.

Just one assignment and a 8 week placement left till SUMMER!!

ReputationRep:
    Motivation= -5
    Work to do= one essay
    four exams
    6 weeks of placement

soooooo looking forward to heading away to London during my reading week....revision will go out the window for a few days : D

my next placement is also a regional cardiology department so i'm rather pleased : D

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Just finished my first 8 weeks in Uni! That has gone fast...

I am on reading week next week.. have 2 assignments + skills boolets + exam to revise for!

Then I start my 4 week placement! excited about that!!!

Also bit worried about injections... we practised them this week and ended up stabbing myself with it eek
    Can you give injections out on placement as a student!?

ReputationRep:

Also bit worried about injections... we practised them this week and ended up stabbing myself with it eek
    Jezzz, thats gone fast! Seems like just the other day you were talking about starting! Cant believe that.

You can give injections. Tbh, ive not given many, mainly just Clexane ones so far so im no expert in them. Just be really careful regarding the stabbing self issue, and if it accidently happens milk it out under water and let somebody know (apologies if im stating the obvious!).

ReputationRep:

I am on reading week next week.. have 2 assignments + skills boolets + exam to revise for!

Then I start my 4 week placement! excited about that!!!

The rule of thumb tends to be, if you've done it in uni- you can do it on placement! I gave out loads of clexane first too, its a good one to start with- I actually gave my first peoper subcut injection today that wasn't clexane, but tramadol- and in the arm as opposed to the stomach. I kept nagging my mentor to watch me do it..and she kept wondering off :rolleyes:

I'm a bit bummed out on this placement, it's loads of observing and I had the chance today to actually do some clinical skills I can do (aka drawing up an IV, and iv fluids etc) and she did it, even tho i asked 30seconds later if I can do it!! ARGH.

I've only had a needle injury once, luckily it was clean but no one seemed concerned- just read up on your trusts sharps policy, during placement?

My second year is now offically over half way through- eek! Time really does fly when you're not having fun!

ReputationRep:
    Ive given like 30-40 injections on this placement alone. then again i'm in the community and there are loads of depots.

I'm still nervous about giving them every time, but i'm getting better...

ReputationRep:
    wow 30-40 is a lot!

will i be expected to do them on my first placement though?
    As i've only tried it once in the skills lab and that's when I caught my finger! quite a lot of other people did aswel! The tutor didn't even seem to care.. lol

ReputationRep:
    I did a few on my first placement, but like i said thats just Clexane which goes straight into the stomach area and is pretty standard with a fair amount of patients.
    As long as you explain to your mentor you've never done it before. Maybe observe them doing a few and then make sure they supervise you in having a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky_90)
    I did a few on my first placement, but like i said thats just Clexane which goes straight into the stomach area and is pretty standard with a fair amount of patients.
    As long as you explain to your mentor you've never done it before. Maybe observe them doing a few and then make sure they supervise you in having a go.

But my placement is with a health visitor? so do you think i'd be expected to do many?
    Injections make me nervous...Its one of the things I really don't like about nursing
    I can deal with blood etc.. but i just hate injections! So scared i'm gonna faint or something..

ReputationRep:
    But my placement is with a health visitor? so do you think i'd be expected to do many?
    Injections make me nervous...Its one of the things I really don't like about nursing
    I can deal with blood etc.. but i just hate injections! So scared i'm gonna faint or something..
    Maybe, sometimes patients whove had operations will need to carry on a course of enoxaparin (clexane) after their discharge date and nurses come in and do it. Plus what about diabetic patients who may need daily insulin- its a wait and see, you dont know what your placement holds yet, and whether or not your mentor would be happy for a first year to do them (some are a bit funny!)

However I can say this, the sooner you get your first injection done, the better!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 2, 2011

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.