The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Subcutaneous
Nursing courses can go on for 4-5 years

How come?!?! Thought it was 3 years bish bash bosh?
Is that if you need to resit components?
Philosoraptor
How come?!?! Thought it was 3 years bish bash bosh?
Is that if you need to resit components?

Nope, you can do a masters straight after your degr0ee, so its a year research dissertation after and its just a continuation of the course, others its part time so they're only in 3 days a week, and one type of degree actually follows normal university holidays, so its stretched over 4 years, rather than 3
WOO

May I please have a pat on the back, I'm half way through the dreadful second year..!! I've finished my massive 3 month placement (and actually enjoyed it!) I've also done half of the assignments I need to do this year (4 in total, handed my 2nd one in today...however the next two are both 4000 words each, ARGH!), I'm also averaging a 2.1, but my tutor is happy to predict me at a 1st!!!..AND have been signed off at Practice Level 3, AND last but not least, my exam in a few weeks time Im actually strangly feeling in control over now and Like I can do it...

OMG, second year blues are now over!!!
Subcutaneous
Nope, you can do a masters straight after your degr0ee, so its a year research dissertation after and its just a continuation of the course, others its part time so they're only in 3 days a week, and one type of degree actually follows normal university holidays, so its stretched over 4 years, rather than 3

That's crazy! I swear some unis are so backwards - our nursing course followed the usual university term times, so 4 weeks off at christmas, 2 at easter, finish end of may for the summer - and still was only three years long :smile:
smilee172
That's crazy! I swear some unis are so backwards - our nursing course followed the usual university term times, so 4 weeks off at christmas, 2 at easter, finish end of may for the summer - and still was only three years long :smile:

At nottingham they get 8 weeks for christmas and easter!!!
Ah ok cheers anna.
Out of interest why would you do a masters?
(Not me mick taking, genuinely interested?)
Philosoraptor
Ah ok cheers anna.
Out of interest why would you do a masters?
(Not me mick taking, genuinely interested?)

extended learning, to go into research, career prospects...loads of reasons.
Subcutaneous
WOO

May I please have a pat on the back, I'm half way through the dreadful second year..!! I've finished my massive 3 month placement (and actually enjoyed it!) I've also done half of the assignments I need to do this year (4 in total, handed my 2nd one in today...however the next two are both 4000 words each, ARGH!), I'm also averaging a 2.1, but my tutor is happy to predict me at a 1st!!!..AND have been signed off at Practice Level 3, AND last but not least, my exam in a few weeks time Im actually strangly feeling in control over now and Like I can do it...

OMG, second year blues are now over!!!

Just wanna say WELL DONE :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

and I can't believe you are half way through your second year! I remember when you were starting! :-O
Bored of this placement nowwww...9 shifts left and counting!

Contract on my house just ran out aswell so had to move back home, which makes travelling from home to work a right hellish thing!
Becky_90
Bored of this placement nowwww...9 shifts left and counting!

Contract on my house just ran out aswell so had to move back home, which makes travelling from home to work a right hellish thing!

How far away do you live?

Im on study leave right now..should be revising, but it just isn't happening!!
Subcutaneous
How far away do you live?

Im on study leave right now..should be revising, but it just isn't happening!!

Thankfully only 20/25 miles away, so it could be alot worse.
Im making my own way there after earlies/before lates and im lucky ive people willing to run me there before earlier/after lates due to the joys of me having no car!
Still, not as easy as when it was when i lived up at uni!
Subcutaneous
At nottingham they get 8 weeks for christmas and easter!!!

that is insane !

and may i ask, are the second year blues that bad ? our tutors keep mentioning that we'll start to get them...
Hula129
that is insane !

and may i ask, are the second year blues that bad ? our tutors keep mentioning that we'll start to get them...

I know its ridiculous, whilst the rest of us degree students, have longer placements..and 2 weeks holidays, ugh.

Erm..well..it depends on how you handle things. Personally I strive on a bit of stress, and it depends a lot on your placements aswell- friends who've not enjoyed or had supportive mentors on their placements have struggled, second year is about focusing on your nursing care management, and if you're on a placement where you're just being used as an auxillary it can be really tough to work on those skills, and can make you feel behind. I've been lucky ive not had that, and have felt a bit more confident- but a lot of my peers have not coped too well.

They DO pass, im now over halfway through and I'm feeling much more settled, enjoying the course a lot more etc
Im realllyyy tired now, got to spend tomorrow being a patient for a day which should be..interesting lol
^^ ah no hope your ok :smile:

I'm really enjoying the course at the moment... just got 1 more week left in Uni then 3 weeks off then placement:biggrin: and i'm moving up near the uni so no more driving 50 mins to uni each day :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Recently had a car crash so its been a nightmare sorting everything out and its been 2 weeks but still have the annoying whiplash! ah.
Last placement of the year finished :biggrin:

When i think about it, 2 months has flown by!
I desperately need a job. Lokked at nursing agencies but none really require HCAs (i'm 1st year)

i've tried NHSP, staffnurse and NHS jobs. any other ideas please?!
Does your local hospital have its own bank? Opposed to getting people in from agencies as bank staff.
My Massive 2nd year exam is tomorrow..
starts in 12 hours precisely actually

...bring on the fail
How'd the exam go?

Ive had to hand in the last of my placement paper work today!

Latest

Trending

Trending