Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky_90)
    I suppose she's right though. First year you learn the basic care and the other more obvious things- such as drug rounds etc, then in the 3rd year its like you're able to know it all..so 2nd year- the year to discover more 'nurse' things maybe?
    Only... in my first year i did naff all in the way of drugs or personal care!! (Due to the nature of my placements..)
    So what building block do i have?! :rolleyes:

Waiting on all my nhsp stuff..the sooner i can get some decent hca experience, the less i'll moan :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani_88)
    Only... in my first year i did naff all in the way of drugs or personal care!! (Due to the nature of my placements..)
    So what building block do i have?! :rolleyes:

Waiting on all my nhsp stuff..the sooner i can get some decent hca experience, the less i'll moan :p:
    I wouldnt worry about it, you cant help the way your placements pan out.

I know what you mean about work though. Getting on the bank/ any agency work is like gold dust here.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm second year. What can i say? Definately working with first years has been an experience. I love teaching, showing how to do things- and cannot wait to be a mentor one day. You get the odd cocky one, but as you all know the lesson does get learned. In terms if what is expected, well yes its a step up and it's hard not being able to hide behind the "im only a first year" status lol. You're definately expected to show more initative, take more decision making, and mentors don't get happy if you're a second year and still need prompting or help with doing basic care, a lot if my friends spent 1st year getting to do catheters, drugs, observe ops- yet when it came to taking the lead in repositioning a patient, bed bathing or initiating pressure care- with just them and a team if hca's felt lost and confused. All i can say really from what ive learnt this year, bring on december 2011!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Hmm second year. What can i say? Definately working with first years has been an experience. I love teaching, showing how to do things- and cannot wait to be a mentor one day. You get the odd cocky one, but as you all know the lesson does get learned. In terms if what is expected, well yes its a step up and it's hard not being able to hide behind the "im only a first year" status lol. You're definately expected to show more initative, take more decision making, and mentors don't get happy if you're a second year and still need prompting or help with doing basic care, a lot if my friends spent 1st year getting to do catheters, drugs, observe ops- yet when it came to taking the lead in repositioning a patient, bed bathing or initiating pressure care- with just them and a team if hca's felt lost and confused. All i can say really from what ive learnt this year, bring on december 2011!!
    What sorts of things are you expected to teach the first years??

ReputationRep:
    What sorts of things are you expected to teach the first years??
    I showed a lot of them about evidence, how to reflect. Taught how to do beds, ted stockings, do obs, ews scoring...Just things they needed showing if their mentor was busy. I taught one firstvyear how a tramadol pca is set up, and we discused the who pain ladder- it counted towards loads of outcomes

ReputationRep:
    So how much more do they expect of you as a second year? :o:
    i can't wait for second year, cos it is half way like!! scaryily close to being a staff nurse :eek: :eek3: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I love teaching aswell.
    One of the girls on my last placement had only previously been in clinics, so i enjoyed showing her a few things if we were together etc. Was an eye opener to how much i knew aswell, without feeling i did.

ReputationRep:
    Just a warning though, they don't call it "second year blues" for nothing!

ReputationRep:
    Very true, I've had a number of friends who've needed a bit of support and encouragement this year.:console: I didn't let on I was feeling a little wobbly myself at one point.

I've also seen one or two who bluffed their way through the CFP and thought they could do it for the second year and were shocked about the step up in expectations, both academically and in practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perfect_Gent)
    Very true, I've had a number of friends who've needed a bit of support and encouragement this year.:console: I didn't let on I was feeling a little wobbly myself at one point.

I've also seen one or two who bluffed their way through the CFP and thought they could do it for the second year and were shocked about the step up in expectations, both academically and in practice.
    is it a big step-up? like i understand obviously with more knowledge comes opportunity and in turn responsibility... but is it more than that?

ReputationRep:
    I've heard about this...

I'm really worried about this..

Is it a majority that get it in second year? Does pretty much everyone get it?

ReputationRep:
    I've heard about this...

I'm really worried about this..

Is it a majority that get it in second year? Does pretty much everyone get it?

I think its fair to say everyones had a bit of a moan at one point, or feeling a bit overworked and overrun.

I've not found it challenging (as you've heard my rant about this) more ive just got over the excitement of 1st year and it is a heavy workload. You just start to moan a lot more I guess!

ReputationRep:
    Third year in 5 weeks...Eeeeeeeeeeek! x

ReputationRep:
    NHSP are taking freaking forever to let me start work grr :mad:

Online training done, CRB back, occy health info sent... COME ON ALREADYYY!!

Apparently i have to do some training day?! Anyone know what that involves?

Also, is it a good idea or a bad idea to do an nhsp shift on the ward of your next placement before you start?

ReputationRep:
    I wish so much that I was back at first year/second year, it's such an exciting time and when you get bored of a placement you get to start a new one! The downside of working as a qualified is staying full time in the same area. It's only been a year for me and I'm already feeling a bit stale (best way I can describe it!) and want to move on to something new. So my advice would be to make the most of the different placements, and spending the odd day here and there on other wards/with other services as you can't do that once you're qualified, so get as much variety of experience as you can now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)
    I wish so much that I was back at first year/second year, it's such an exciting time and when you get bored of a placement you get to start a new one! The downside of working as a qualified is staying full time in the same area. It's only been a year for me and I'm already feeling a bit stale (best way I can describe it!) and want to move on to something new. So my advice would be to make the most of the different placements, and spending the odd day here and there on other wards/with other services as you can't do that once you're qualified, so get as much variety of experience as you can now.
    I love placement, and always be while upset when I am leaving... I can't wait to find one place where I can be for a long long time!! haha!! I am wondering will second year bring me the dread going on placement? because in truth... I have never had a day going into placement thinking, oh get me out of here!! no, I love it... ok, I know... I am a NERD :haha:

ReputationRep:
    Nah Its only since 2nd year i've had just one or two days where it feels hard to get out of bed to go in, but i always enjoy it whilst i'm there. I actually hate it when its quiet.

Im really dreading district nursing in a few weeks...DONT WANT TO GO

ReputationRep:
    Im really dreading district nursing in a few weeks...DONT WANT TO GO
    I was dreading it as well. Apart from one brief spell on a medical placement, that turned into mainly surgical due to the hospital changing the designation of the ward, I've been working on surgical wards for 6 years.

When I got there the staff were lovely, very informed and enthusiastic. The patients, on the whole, were friendly, welcoming and stimulating to be around and it was good to compare how patients are in their own homes (I actually looked after one patient who I'd looked after on my old surgical ward and I've known him for nearly twenty years, after taking into account all the NMC guidelines).

I am still surprised at how much I enjoyed the placement and I hope you get as much pleasure out of it as I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louise_1229)
    I love placement, and always be while upset when I am leaving... I can't wait to find one place where I can be for a long long time!! haha!! I am wondering will second year bring me the dread going on placement? because in truth... I have never had a day going into placement thinking, oh get me out of here!! no, I love it... ok, I know... I am a NERD :haha:
    Well that's a sign that nursing is the right path for you how great to have a nurse that actually enjoys what she does, rather than the huge number of people i have seen in practice that hate their job and are now just going through the motions rather than actually enjoying it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)
    Well that's a sign that nursing is the right path for you how great to have a nurse that actually enjoys what she does, rather than the huge number of people i have seen in practice that hate their job and are now just going through the motions rather than actually enjoying it!
    i am hoping it is that, and that i won't become jaded! but yeah.... i can honestly say.... best job in the world :yep:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 2, 2011

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.