Nursing Soc Watch

This discussion is closed.
louise_1229
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
it is mad! actually... like practicals, we used to get an intro before the class, what we did, why we did it, and what if something went wrong. They now expect you go in, knowing all this!! The same with lectures and the like!!
but, at the same time... its a bit better, fell like i am actually learning something, like when i go back on placement, i won't be so green?
Becky_90
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Had my first day of 2nd year today. Was bit of a joke to be honest, only ended up being in for an hour.
Just the usual module intro. Kinda useful and shows they expect a lot more from us this year but jezz some people are incompetent, we had to cover the same things over and over due to peoples stupid questions!

Next couple of days are full ones so we'll see how things go.
louise_1229
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Becky_90)
Had my first day of 2nd year today. Was bit of a joke to be honest, only ended up being in for an hour.
Just the usual module intro. Kinda useful and shows they expect a lot more from us this year but jezz some people are incompetent, we had to cover the same things over and over due to peoples stupid questions!

Next couple of days are full ones so we'll see how things go.
first day does be a bit tedious! but, it is immense how much of a step up it actually is!!

had a busy week last week, between classes and lectures was all over the place with the RCN Bus. Good fun, and meet lots of people!!
Today, handed in my elective placement forms... the three areas I choose where - A&E (Craigavon/ Royal/ Daisy Hill), Cardiology (Cardiac ICU, Royal/ Cardiac Theatres, Royal/ CCU, City) and Intensive Care (Regional ICU, Royal/ ICU, Craigavon/ ITU, City)

would love all them - i hope
Becky_90
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They all sound great places, hope you get one.

Theres something about cardiology for me, it just scares me a bit. Coronary care units etc, theres just something about them.
Subcutaneous
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
aww glad you guys are enjoying 2nd year.

Im loving district nursing, been the first placement where i've not gone 'omg I don't know what to do can you show me' I've just been able to get right in there and do it- i'm starting to feel like Ive actually learnt something!! I've even had my own patients after one week!

Still not started my 4000 word lit review..probz should

However have had a 21st birthday to deal with last weekend- had a fab big party with family and friends, got VERY drunk- am 21 tomorrow, got the day off and gonna chill in the spa, and have a general duvet day and ME day- with friends coming over in the evening for chinese and a girly film (followed by an early night as we're all on placement lol)

OOOO and I got my LAST placement for 2nd year- Prison!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Becky_90
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ohh prision sounds interesting.

And have a lovely day for your birthday
dani_88
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not enjoying second year. I'm hating it. I very much want to quit.
Uni sucks, i'm sick of being a poor student, i'm sick of not knowing anything. I start placement in 6 days and i'm not looking forward to it at all.
I want to go home in all honesty.
Second year blues is bollocckkkks.

On a side note, i'm glad you had a lovely birthday party anna
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dani_88)
I'm not enjoying second year. I'm hating it. I very much want to quit.
Uni sucks, i'm sick of being a poor student, i'm sick of not knowing anything. I start placement in 6 days and i'm not looking forward to it at all.
I want to go home in all honesty.
Second year blues is bollocckkkks.

On a side note, i'm glad you had a lovely birthday party anna

thanks

Honestly power through, it'll fly by and just concentrate on graduation day

I bet you'll end up LOVING placement!
Becky_90
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ok, so maybe i was a little big wrong. My god they have stepped things up a gear this year!
Got a huge work load already and only been in a day and a half, so much stuff to get through, im just worrying im gonna forget something or leave it too late and not realise, all these dates and info flying at us.

Some serious effort gonna have to be put in this year i predict.
Holamigo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i'm 6 months in to first year! :-O

and i've got myself into a really sticky situation :-( don't know what to do to be honest! if anyone can help?
Becky_90
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Holamigo)
and i've got myself into a really sticky situation :-( don't know what to do to be honest! if anyone can help?
Whats up?
(If dont wanna go blurting it out, feel free to pm me if you need to )
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Becky_90)
Whats up?
(If dont wanna go blurting it out, feel free to pm me if you need to )

Ditto, whatever it is i'm sure we've all been there and seen it!!
Holamigo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well ive witnessed something which another student nurse has done.I was living with this girl up until last week! I had to tell my personal tutor because It just isn't right. Had a meeting with an ex - policeman who works within the university yesterday who says they will have to talk to her before we go out on placement because they cannot take the risk.
It's all a bit scary to be honest as this girl is very agressive and flips at the smallest of things so I don't know what she is going to do when she gets kicked off the course and will know it's me who has said something
Little Hobbit
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wow what a difficult situation to deal with, especially at the beginning of your career! Were you good friends as well?

I think you've done the right thing, you know yourself that what this girl done was wrong and the uni agree. Good for you sticking to your morals!

If she has a really bad temper then maybe nursing isn't the best career for her, you have to be really calm and keep good control of your emotions, there are lots of situations that would anger any one of us but we can't react to it by throwing a tantrum!
smilee172
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Holamigo)
Well ive witnessed something which another student nurse has done.I was living with this girl up until last week! I had to tell my personal tutor because It just isn't right. Had a meeting with an ex - policeman who works within the university yesterday who says they will have to talk to her before we go out on placement because they cannot take the risk.
It's all a bit scary to be honest as this girl is very agressive and flips at the smallest of things so I don't know what she is going to do when she gets kicked off the course and will know it's me who has said something
You have done the right thing, absolutely. I had to do something similar, and the girl I flagged up concerns about even confronted me about it. But at the end of the day you should be pointing out bad practice if it's putting patients and/or staff at risk. Well done for doing what you did, it can't have been easy like others have said, especially so early into the course.
Becky_90
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I agree with what the others have said, you've done the right thing. Whatever you picked up on, the university obviously feel the same way about it so good for you to sticking by your guns.
dani_88
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Seriously, how do people cope on the degree?

I'm so pissing poor doing the diploma... I have every intention of switching to degree at the end of this year... but if i can't cope on the diploma bursary i'm actually going to be totally screwed when i switch to degree!

I've applied to NHSP but they're taking their sweet time i tell you! I applied in May and i STILL can't work because i haven't done my training yet lol.. the next available one was this month, so i'm hoping i can bloodi work once i've done that!
louise_1229
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
how much do you end up with, it is different over here, it is all degree, and everyone gets a standard bursary of £505ish a month, and then extra for kids and that... And I tell you, once phone bill, car insurance, petrol, train ticket and such stuff come out... I am extremely poor!!
dani_88
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by louise_1229)
how much do you end up with, it is different over here, it is all degree, and everyone gets a standard bursary of £505ish a month, and then extra for kids and that... And I tell you, once phone bill, car insurance, petrol, train ticket and such stuff come out... I am extremely poor!!
Over here if you're doing diploma you about 550 a month... and i'm seriously poor on that...
If i switch to degree in the final year it becomes means tested and i'm refusing to get another student loan and i'll more than likely get bugger all bursary so i'll probly be living on about 250.. which doesn't even cover my rent.. helpful :p:
Becky_90
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dani_88)
Seriously, how do people cope on the degree?

I'm so pissing poor doing the diploma... I have every intention of switching to degree at the end of this year... but if i can't cope on the diploma bursary i'm actually going to be totally screwed when i switch to degree!

I've applied to NHSP but they're taking their sweet time i tell you! I applied in May and i STILL can't work because i haven't done my training yet lol.. the next available one was this month, so i'm hoping i can bloodi work once i've done that!
By scrimping and having a overdraft!

Im going to be extra poor this year as apparently we arent in uni as many weeks as last year meaning we dont get as much bursary.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?