Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Ok I dont want to say tooooo much but these students are on a different course than ours in that it lasts longer, they get an Mnursci and get the normal university holidays. Its frustrating because the uni put on an induction day for them on their first day...then invited us to the lunch (note we didnt get an induction day) and because they're masters students they're somehow get this glow that they're better than your bog standard degree/dip student nurses..when in actual fact we're in the same year yet have had twice as much clinical experience (their course is 4 years so a 3rd year mnursci student would have only had the equivalent of halfway through second year experience) and know more..when they will qualify on exactly the same band, progress the same rate..and expect to do the same. Luckily they're getting rid of the course soon so..thankgod.

It's just hard as the uni just throws money at them, they have better education, teaching facilities, modules, placement experience..just because the students wanted to do an extra essay, year at uni and have normal holidays.

They weren't very nice in that they just sort of sat there looking down their noses and one of them said they didn't like elderly people lol. - I'm over it though

anyone else fed up with the stupid threads about term times, do they not realise we don't have the vast resource to know every single universities term dates for the next 3 years? er no.
    Meh, with those students having an attitude like that... (looking down their noses and not liking people - which is basically what they said :p:) i'm sure you will SHINE over them! They clearly just can't handle a 45week working year

I'm enjoying A&E lots so far, really really nice mentors! I still feel like i'm wandering round like a little sheep dog, but it's only my first week so hopefully i'll get better :p:
    All the girls that are on community this placement are really enjoying themselves too which is good!

ReputationRep:
    Glad to hear you're enjoying A&E. I still dont know where my next placement is.

Realised 2nd year is gonna require alot more effort and concentration, neither of which i have right now due to a certain damn male!

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually in LOVE with my placement- loving every minute of it. My mentor is so lovely, she's not just my mentor but my friend and she's really honest with how I'm doing etc. She told me she'd happily let me go off with my own caseload (but can't until management placement) but still- its nice to know she's asessing me now at that level

The majority of patients are lovely (one or two not so nice with bad homes) and the team despite a lot of problems going on atm regarding cutbacks and shortages within the PCT are just all lovely and supportive of each other and students.

I'm gonna request this placement AND the district nursing team for my management next year I've decided, I don't know if its what i'd want to do when newly qualified but its something i'm genuinely considering looking into district nurse training post-reg! I'm thinking about requesting a surgical word (thoracic surgery) and also a hepatobiliary ward too for my management- but community is the one I want.

eeeek, 8 weeks left of 2nd year..2 weeks left in community and 6 in the prison. Where is it going?!?!

3rd year looks amazing I have 2 less assignments this year, the lectures are so much more indepth and theres critical care placements etc.

I Love nursing :love:

ReputationRep:
    I seriously feel like quitting the course :'( and the sad thing is.. Its nothing to do with the placement/work its because of the spiteful people on the course its making me so upset and ill, cant concentrate on my work at all and i start placement in a week :-/ arghhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    I seriously feel like quitting the course :'( and the sad thing is.. Its nothing to do with the placement/work its because of the spiteful people on the course its making me so upset and ill, cant concentrate on my work at all and i start placement in a week :-/ arghhhhhh

Nooooo, you've worked so hard to get here. If I had a penny for every time i wanted to quit i'd have so much in the bank i wouldn't have to work as a nurse lol

These are not the people you will spend the rest of your career with at the end of the day. I met some horrible people in my 1st year and I don't even speak to them anymore as they were just not friends, and now I have the best friends in the world. Don't let them grind you down, focus on your work and maybe spend time with a different group?

ReputationRep:
    Holamigo, I'm with Anna on this one....

The amount of times i've wanted to quit is unreal! The amount of people i've come across that i've wondered how on earth they got onto this course is also unreal!

Console yourself with the fact that in second year, you all get split up! And the ones that are clearly ********* tend to not make it through the course as well!

Stick at it, you've worked really hard Sometimes you just need a good placement to remind yourself of why you're here....

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the others. You've come along way and you're bound to have these moments, we've all said we're going to quit at some point along the way.

To be honest, i find nursing to be a pretty clicky course. There are people that can be incrediably spiteful, but like Anna said, you dont stick with these people all the way through the course.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying!!! Anyone got any advice?

ReputationRep:
    I've decided there is no way i'm gonna give up.
    Especially when I think back to when I tried so hard to get on this course. But if it means transferring campus' and getting accomodation there then that's what I will have to do.

I have a little group of friends but it doesn't even bother me if I was on my own at this point, its just because of one of girls in the class who I did live with until the other week - ive told the tutor about her - what she has done, and now her and her little group are trying to figure out who has told and have started to blame this other girl when its not her it was me.
    I know it sounds so petty but it's quite serious as she probably will get kicked off the course and even the police might be involved. I know she will want revenge when she finds out who it is. She is really violent and not really the sort of person you should mess with. Which is why all this is making me ill. Maybe I shouldn't have told... but I was in a hard position - people on the course were talking about it, they came up to me asking if I was involved too and I just knew then that I had to get out and tell the uni before someone else did who didn't know the whole truth.

I wish so much I could just concentrate on the work and get on with placements - im trying my best. I mean the tutors have been nice and given me a 2 week extension but I'm just finding it so hard

ReputationRep:
    Good on you for not giving up.

It sounds like a hard situation and thats said without even knowing the ins and outs of the situation but i think you did the right thing by telling someone. If its something serious enough to get her kicked off the course then something obviously needed to be said and fair play for saying something.
    I know not much we can say can change things because it is a hard situation but you will be ok, and everything will blow over.

ReputationRep:
    I really dunno what to say. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, this whole experience will build your assertiveness

ReputationRep:
    I've finally finished my last assignment of second year- no more now until January (Hoping I don't have to retake ofcourse!)

I cannot explain the relief i have..ugh, its all finished now! I can just get on and enjoy my placement

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping we will finally get our next placements up this week, and if not, then next week.

We don't go out until the 10/January... but I am so tired of trying to explain to people that I don't know where I am going yet... haha, and I am dying to find out where I am going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louise_1229)
    I am hoping we will finally get our next placements up this week, and if not, then next week.

We don't go out until the 10/January... but I am so tired of trying to explain to people that I don't know where I am going yet... haha, and I am dying to find out where I am going.
    ME TOO!!

All the first years have got them, and the 2nd year child students have got them, just us that dont appear to..and i go out at the end of Nov!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky_90)
    ME TOO!!

All the first years have got them, and the 2nd year child students have got them, just us that dont appear to..and i go out at the end of Nov!
    What you hoping for?
    We have 2 six week placements back to back... I am really really praying for an ED Placement, and then I don't mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louise_1229)
    What you hoping for?
    We have 2 six week placements back to back... I am really really praying for an ED Placement, and then I don't mind.
    I really dont know, not overly keen on ccu so dont really fancy that.
    Well i hope you get what you want

ReputationRep:
    ccu, as in coronary care, awh cardiology is what i want to do, choose cardiac investigations as my elective... can't wait for it... wouldn't mind getting my care of the elderly early, as i don't really think I will 'love' it....

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty, I was dreading my elderly care placements.
    My last placement was on a ward with patients who had severe challenging behaviour and on previous wards had been MAPA'd several times.
    I went onto the ward, knowing I had previously hated disliked working with the elderly so was really nervous.
    the ward itself was built in a circle. it was entirely patient focussed. so we didn't get patients up till they awoke naturally. they ate, within reason, what they wanted to eat, where ever they were, so for instance in the corridor or in the bedroom and at different times. The patients would spend the day wandering the corridors or sitting with staff. I often found myself writing notes whilst in the day room with a patient asleep on my shoulder. or writing care plans with one hand whilst sooting a patient with another.
    It was incredible and so refreshing to see. it was a lot of hard work as it was pretty difficult accomidatinf 30 patients at meals times, having to feed about 70% of them when they're to be found in every corner of the ward. but it was so rewarding. If you ever read Tom Kitwood and his work on personhood, this was it, in essence.
    Now I wouldn't mind working with the elderly again. I guess what i'm trying to say, is when you have an elderly placement, it can be really tough as its often really routined and this is pointless to some degree. it should be a great experience as you spend all your time with your patients or should do.
    sorry for the inspirational long rant, but i loved that placement and you can tell staff did as they hadnt had to MAPA a patient who 3-4 months!

ReputationRep:
    No I have done COAH, and had to participate in the MAPA version of here, C&R.... And I could do the work, and quite enjoyed my time... it is simply, I am very close to my grandparents, and I am the kind of person to invest myself emotionally... and I come away very drained. I found it quite mundane, and didn't feel extremely challenged. It is my nature, I like fast, bury wards. I like to look at my watch and think, 'holy ghost it is that time already?'
    Just my nature, not that my mentor, other staff, or my patients would ever know it...

I have already found my calling, Cardiology...

ReputationRep:
    Ive not had care of elderly yet too, but seeing as i'm really enjoying community I reckon i'll end up really loving it! I love really getting down and just making a patient comfortable- I like the complex side of nursing too, but i get so much satisfaction with having a patient whos got dry clothes on, or has a pressure sore thats healed up.

I don't know whether its relief or fear- but seeing my last ever assignment (4k word literature critique) all binded and complete made me cry earlier lol

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 2, 2011

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.