Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    I know! I can't find it anywhere! :confused: It's not in the Royal marsden or even in medical dictionary...Maybe it means 2 beats together or something?

I'm pretty sure i've failed sad thing is I practised so much but I just don't cope well when i'm nervous and I'm mildly dyspraxic so it makes co ordinating things really hard for me!
    I had TPR and Blood pressure. With the pulse I couldn't find it for ages and when I did it was so faint/weak so not sure If I got it right. I forgot to check the patients name band before the doing the BP aswel :-( so annoyed about that!!! Will I fail because of it?
    You sure you've got the terminology right? I have never heard of a coupling pulse in my life... and i learnt a lot about pulses today in my airways mini lecture!

I'm exactly the same.. i was so nervous in my osce that i nearly vomited and passed out..i couldn't stop shaking and i could barely get my words out.. my feedback said try to be less stressed next time - like it's that easy :rolleyes:

Did you do it on real people then?
    Did you check the patients identity at any point? Was that something you were told to do in all of your practises??
    I've not done TPR, we did wounds, so i'm not entirely sure what they want from you in the way of the OSCE...
    Did you get to do a mock? When do you get your results?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani_88)
    You sure you've got the terminology right? I have never heard of a coupling pulse in my life... and i learnt a lot about pulses today in my airways mini lecture!

I'm exactly the same.. i was so nervous in my osce that i nearly vomited and passed out..i couldn't stop shaking and i could barely get my words out.. my feedback said try to be less stressed next time - like it's that easy :rolleyes:

Did you do it on real people then?
    Did you check the patients identity at any point? Was that something you were told to do in all of your practises??
    I've not done TPR, we did wounds, so i'm not entirely sure what they want from you in the way of the OSCE...
    Did you get to do a mock? When do you get your results?
    Yep definitely says coupling pulse in my skills book also not sure what 'weak and thready' means?
    It was terrifying! Yep was on real people - a real strict tutor and the one who was the examiner was even more strict so that didn't help. Do you not do it on real people then?
    Well I did check the patients identity before doing TPR then went straight onto blood pressure! argh I did ask them for their consent though! Just can't believe I forgot to check it! and yeah we are told always to check name badge before every procedure and also to wash hands which i forgot to say aswel! So pretty sure it's a big fat fail. :-/

I did get a mock but I got TPR and Medication. Didn't get BP. Get my results in 1 week - i guess it's done now but I just didn't really want to go through it again!

ReputationRep:
    Yep definitely says coupling pulse in my skills book also not sure what 'weak and thready' means?
    It was terrifying! Yep was on real people - a real strict tutor and the one who was the examiner was even more strict so that didn't help. Do you not do it on real people then?
    Well I did check the patients identity before doing TPR then went straight onto blood pressure! argh I did ask them for their consent though! Just can't believe I forgot to check it! and yeah we are told always to check name badge before every procedure and also to wash hands which i forgot to say aswel! So pretty sure it's a big fat fail. :-/

I did get a mock but I got TPR and Medication. Didn't get BP. Get my results in 1 week - i guess it's done now but I just didn't really want to go through it again!
    You did check their name band at some point during the OSCE and gained consent... so there's every chance you'll be fine! Wash your hands between checking someones temp and doing their BP, really? I have never done that... i must be such a shocking student haha!

Weak and thready i've heard of and felt...basically the total opposite of a nice strong bounding pulse.

I've not done OSCEs on real people, no. We use simulators at our uni that you can put NG tubes down, catheterise, take BPs (and the uni can set it to exactly what they want so they know if you're lying lol) and do wound dressings etc...

Just wait and see what your results are...like i said, i convinced myself i'd failed mine because i was certain i'd done this wrong and i couldn't get that right etc... As long as you're SAFE and generally right, they pass you, but safety is the most important thing.
    And, IF you have failed....you just do it again - not the nicest thing in the world, but 50% of my cohort failed first time and said second time was sooo much more easier because they knew what to expect and were more relaxed

ReputationRep:
    Wait and see what your OSCE results say. When i did mine at the end of last year a heck of alot of us thought we had failed, myself included, but in the end we all managed to pass. Even if you do something wrong, as long as you recgonise thats what you've done then you can usually be ok.

ReputationRep:
    My second year osce has 3 stations.. we're not totally sure what it's going to involve yet but we've been guaranteed an intra muscular injection (with a drugs calc) and more than likely a patient handover... not sure what the third station will be... but apparently we have to pass all 3 stations in order to pass the osce.. eek!

Dread to think what our third year osce involves...

ReputationRep:
    Rumour has it and according to previous years students, our 2nd year one is cathetirisation and 3rd year all linked to having an unconscious patient.

ReputationRep:
    Ah i feel a little better about it now then!
    Only thing is i didnt say i was wrong/ or hadnt realised until after the osce that i had forgot certain things :/ ah well cant change it now.

Wow cathetirisation sounds like it would be hard!!!
    Do you both do 1 osce each year ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani_88)
    My second year osce has 3 stations.. we're not totally sure what it's going to involve yet but we've been guaranteed an intra muscular injection (with a drugs calc) and more than likely a patient handover... not sure what the third station will be... but apparently we have to pass all 3 stations in order to pass the osce.. eek!

Dread to think what our third year osce involves...
    Ive not had an ocse this year, had a 3hr written exam.

I really don't know what to do about this mentor, how can i say something without offending her/making it awkward? Plus if i asked for another mentor she'd furthur get offended- plus there aren't enough in the team to be my mentor. Arghhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)

I really don't know what to do about this mentor, how can i say something without offending her/making it awkward? Plus if i asked for another mentor she'd furthur get offended- plus there aren't enough in the team to be my mentor. Arghhh
    You don't have to have someone whos done mentorship training as your associate... so surely there's somebody else??
    As long as your main mentor is a qualified mentor..

Next time it happens, maybe get back in the car and ask her to justify something specific she said...
    Has she just become grotty and complacent because she's been in the job so long or do you think that's actually her personality?

ReputationRep:

Try not to fret too much about it until you've spoken to your main mentor - she might have some good ideas up her sleeve or may already have concerns herself, in which case it'll make it easier for you. I'd say talk to her first and then worry about what to do next, else you will just work yourself up into a tizzy and it's not good

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys.

Had a chat with my main mentor, she's so lovely :love:. She was concerned, said i did the right thing telling her. She told me to tell her when i'm not happy when she makes me uncomfortable as its possible 2nd mentor doesn't realise she's doing it. However i'm going to make a note in my diary when im next with her of anything that worries me, and tell 1st mentor, and she'll look onto getting me another one in the guise of 'anna wants to see some particular patients x has today' so she doesn't get offended, and she'll report my concerns to the DN. She's also going to try and double up with my 2nd mentor with one of the more confused patients and if a concern DOES have to be raised, she'll take it rather than me, which is really nice of her.

Im just dreading the next shift with her

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys.

Had a chat with my main mentor, she's so lovely :love:. She was concerned, said i did the right thing telling her. She told me to tell her when i'm not happy when she makes me uncomfortable as its possible 2nd mentor doesn't realise she's doing it. However i'm going to make a note in my diary when im next with her of anything that worries me, and tell 1st mentor, and she'll look onto getting me another one in the guise of 'anna wants to see some particular patients x has today' so she doesn't get offended, and she'll report my concerns to the DN. She's also going to try and double up with my 2nd mentor with one of the more confused patients and if a concern DOES have to be raised, she'll take it rather than me, which is really nice of her.

It sounds like there couldn't have been a more perfect outcome! This way at least she doesn't know straight out that it's you raising concerns. And like your mentor said, you're doing the right thing You'll have to just grin and bear it for your next shift with your crappy mentor, just think of it as those golden hours to go towards qualifying - not long to go!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys.

Yes you totally did the right thing. You also need, just to keep yourself right, just send a quick note to your personal tutor, and link lecturer. Just let them know what has happened, how it makes you feel, what you did, why you did it, and what is happening now. It keeps them up to date with what is going on, it also keeps you in a good place, if for some reason this nurse does make a complaint, or negative comment about yourself.

Unfortunately too many students have to tackle the mind field of inappropriate mentors. You are lucky your main mentor is supportive, and she should keep you right. But be careful not to rely to heavy on her to fight your corner, as while you leave in a few weeks... she will have the fact that this is a colleague who she has to work with, or even worse, under? Your uni should give you lots of support.

Good Luck, and remember you defiantly did the right thing

ReputationRep:
    Argh I hate this situation, its seems so simple and easy when you're looking at it from the outside and i'd happily tell anyone that wasn't me in this mess to say something but when there are peoples feelings at stake it becomes so much worse.

Im really worried as she's one of those people who stresses out easily, she was stressing out yesterday even though we'd seen most of the patients that day in the morning, and i'd done her paperwork for her (and made her a cup of tea) but she still made me tense and on edge from just the way she is. Im very laid back and mellow person, so when im around someone totally the opposite it really defuses me a lot. However I can see her totally taking this the wrong way, making a massive fuss- she walked out of a meeting once in tears as someone had said she'd done a dressing wrong.

Bleugh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)
    not long to go!!

lol I'm so pre-menstrual right now the next person who says that to me I may burst into tears. I was so used to people saying 'its ok you're only a 1st year' or 'don't worry still time to learn yet' - now its 'ooo not long now!' or as my mentor said to me earlier 'i want you to get some time doing managerial role to get a feel of managing staff for your management placement, and I want to see proper level 3 evidence' - Where has the past 2 years gone?!?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    ahh i'm trying to get my skills book finished it's taking forever!

Does anyone know what the recommended fluid input and output is for adult, child and elderly? Can't seem to find it or keep getting different answers.

ReputationRep:
    ahh i'm trying to get my skills book finished it's taking forever!

Does anyone know what the recommended fluid input and output is for adult, child and elderly? Can't seem to find it or keep getting different answers.

I like to go with the line 'anything out is better than nothing'

no idea, my royal marsden is infront of me now and I can't find anything, what does the best source of evidence you have say?

ReputationRep:
    Argh I hate this situation, its seems so simple and easy when you're looking at it from the outside and i'd happily tell anyone that wasn't me in this mess to say something but when there are peoples feelings at stake it becomes so much worse.

Thats exactly how I have felt with the girl in uni. It's horrible isnt it - like you said its so easy looking from the outside saying don't worry about it and to say something but it's really hard when you're in the situation and it really churns you up inside!
    It's really stressed me out but i've know i've done the right thing and I suppose this will help us in the future as we will be working with all different kinds of nurses who aren't giving the best care. You have to think of the patients at the end of the day and whats best for them!

ReputationRep:
    First night shift in A&E done. Finito. Wasn't too bad actually.

I was being used as an 'extra pair of hands' at one point and i was fuming... under normal circumstances i wouldn't be too arsed and tend to get on with it.. but when i was continuously being removed from learning opportunities (ie i was removed from being in resus with a critically ill pt and the doctors were teaching me loads about renal failure and blood gases and i was also removed from triage when i was just about to have a go at doing it myself) to go and make tea and beds... i was nottt happy! So i complained to my mentor..and another staff nurse; thankfully they'd picked up on it too and weren't happy. Nurse in charge left me alone after that lol. Apparently she's very old school and believes all students do is just make beds and do obs apparently.

Now to go and do moving and handling... fingers crossed i can stay awake :p:

ReputationRep:
    ahhh i'd love to get a placement in A&E!!!
    Bet you see allsorts of things

Its good you said something because you don't want to miss out on learning lots.
    I must admit on my last placement (which was my first hospital placement) I didn't say anything and just made beds and tea most of the time but I didn't say anything because there wasn't really much for me to do - the ward was so quiet and i'm the kind of person who likes to keep busy! and I got to speak to the patients.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 2, 2011

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.