The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I was WELL impressed with NHSPs mandatory training... the guy made BLS make sooo much more sense than the crappy way they teach us at uni!

I now have 4 books out on emergency nursing which should make for some great bedtime reading... unfortunately i'm absolutely buggered to even try and attempt to read tonight :p:
Subcutaneous
lol I'm so pre-menstrual right now the next person who says that to me I may burst into tears. I was so used to people saying 'its ok you're only a 1st year' or 'don't worry still time to learn yet' - now its 'ooo not long now!' or as my mentor said to me earlier 'i want you to get some time doing managerial role to get a feel of managing staff for your management placement, and I want to see proper level 3 evidence' - Where has the past 2 years gone?!?!?!?!

Don't worry too much about that!! I still miss the 'I'm only a first year excuse', but I've just had a whole year of using the 'I'm only a preceptor' excuse, which is just as valid :P Now I have run out of excuses and just have to get on with it! When it comes to qualifying it's scary how much you know and have taken in over the course without realising. Chin up :hugs:
hayyleyy
I'm 3 weeks into first year and absolutely exhausted! I feel so bad ranting but know you guys will understand! I'm in 9-5 most days, getting home, doing another 3 hours work to catch up and trying to fit in a life around it at the moment...I think I'm just adjusting, I absolutely love the course but I'm sooo tired. I've already half filled a lever arch folder with work!

Did you lot feel like this at the start??

Are you enjoying it so far? :smile:

Yesss I did feel like that for the first month or so! Wait until you start your first placement - even more tiring!
hayyleyy
I'm 3 weeks into first year and absolutely exhausted! I feel so bad ranting but know you guys will understand! I'm in 9-5 most days, getting home, doing another 3 hours work to catch up and trying to fit in a life around it at the moment...I think I'm just adjusting, I absolutely love the course but I'm sooo tired. I've already half filled a lever arch folder with work!

Did you lot feel like this at the start??

To be honest i hardly remember what it was like starting first year lol!
Although at the moment i know exactly what you mean, being in uni most of the time and still having loads to do etc. There dont seem to be enough hours in the day.
You do get used to it though, manage time and stuff like that. You enjoying it so far?
Reply 1324
Holamigo
ahh i'm trying to get my skills book finished it's taking forever!

Does anyone know what the recommended fluid input and output is for adult, child and elderly? Can't seem to find it or keep getting different answers.

not so about the input but obviously you want the same input as output.
adult output should be about 30ml an hour and I think child is me meant to be 15 ml an hour. thats what i got taught.
^^ Unless in a renal patient, in which case equal input and output may not be the desired thing.

What i was told, for a healthy 70kg male:

Approx intake of 1500ml in liquid, 750ml in food.
Approx output of 1500ml in urine, 100ml in faeces and 900ml in insensile losses.

Though this is just the example we were given when lectured about fluid status etc.
Reply 1326
Becky_90
^^ Unless in a renal patient, in which case equal input and output may not be the desired thing.

What i was told, for a healthy 70kg male:

Approx intake of 1500ml in liquid, 750ml in food.
Approx output of 1500ml in urine, 100ml in faeces and 900ml in insensile losses.

Though this is just the example we were given when lectured about fluid status etc.
Just remember that none of your patients will be a healthy 70kg male and that they will almost all be intra-vascular deplete to a greater or lesser extent, at least initially.
Reply 1327
Becca L
adult output should be about 30ml an hour and I think child is me meant to be 15 ml an hour. thats what i got taught.
Did you not get taught 0.5ml/kg/hr for adult, 1ml/kg/hr for paeds and 2ml/kg/hr infants?

(Not that UOP is ever measured properly)
Argh, came into work an hour early, not impressed!!! Came in for 8.30, and the health visitor im spending the morning with isn't in till 9.30! And i'm with the emergency nurses services tonight- and only 1 day off this week, and im doing NHS P shift on it. Cannot wait for a holiday.

Oh and a verbal warning is going to be given to my 2nd mentor :frown:
Subcutaneous
Argh, came into work an hour early, not impressed!!! Came in for 8.30, and the health visitor im spending the morning with isn't in till 9.30! And i'm with the emergency nurses services tonight- and only 1 day off this week, and im doing NHS P shift on it. Cannot wait for a holiday.

Oh and a verbal warning is going to be given to my 2nd mentor :frown:

chin up :hugs:
Ah I am almost drowning with the amount of work I have to do :-(

I've been doing it all day and staying up until the early hours to try finish it! Finished my whole skills book last night.
Got to do 2,500 words for Monday. Then I start my placement monday too and have another 2,000 word essay and four 1,000 word reports to do for the following monday.
I think I might just give up sleeping. ha. :/

Oh the joys of being a student nurse :tongue:
*non moaning post*

Happy bursary day!!!!

12 bursary payments to go for me :smile:
... ours doesn't come to the end of the month... :frown:

but, we didn't have our lecture 2-4, so i got home at 11am... instead of waiting about!!! :smile:~:smile:
We've spent the past few days doing some maternity work. Ive actually quite enjoyed it :smile:

Still waiting on placement news though.
Subcutaneous
*non moaning post*

Happy bursary day!!!!

12 bursary payments to go for me :smile:

Who's issuing the warning? Sounds like good news to me!!
smilee172
Who's issuing the warning? Sounds like good news to me!!

I feel all im doing atm is moaning.

Just finished another shift with second mentor. She wasn't as bad this time but theres something I just can't put my finger on and I feel uncomfortable around her and I really really don't know what it is. The DN has offered to take me instead when my mentor discussed my concerns, and im thinking about asking to spend the week with her instead, what do you think? Im worried it may upset the second mentor but its just something i can't place, but i just feel out the loop, rushed and uncomfortable around her.

Only one incident where she didn't speak very well to a patient- and I was really angry when she told me not to bother shutting the door on a patient when we were checking her sacrum in the bathroom- I'm sorry but its common sense and plain respect to give the patient some privacy when we're taking down their trousers and showing their bum to the world :mad:
Subcutaneous
I feel all im doing atm is moaning.

Just finished another shift with second mentor. She wasn't as bad this time but theres something I just can't put my finger on and I feel uncomfortable around her and I really really don't know what it is. The DN has offered to take me instead when my mentor discussed my concerns, and im thinking about asking to spend the week with her instead, what do you think? Im worried it may upset the second mentor but its just something i can't place, but i just feel out the loop, rushed and uncomfortable around her.

Only one incident where she didn't speak very well to a patient- and I was really angry when she told me not to bother shutting the door on a patient when we were checking her sacrum in the bathroom- I'm sorry but its common sense and plain respect to give the patient some privacy when we're taking down their trousers and showing their bum to the world :mad:

Privacy and dignity indeed, a basic concept that she should have understood! I think there are times when you just have to screw what other people think. If you pussy foot around whenever you have problems with mentors and suchlike, it would effect your practice experience. At the moment it's about you, and if your co-mentor gets offended, that's obviously not nice for you and may potentially be awkward... but if going with the DN for a week enriches your learning experience then that's the main priority. There are times when you need to think about number one and I'd say now is one of those times. Chin up chuck! x
I'm finally starting to feel a bit more comfortable in myself in A&E :smile:

I think i'm going to *hopefully* be a lot more confident when i go back on the wards after this placement!
dani_88
I'm finally starting to feel a bit more comfortable in myself in A&E :smile:

I think i'm going to *hopefully* be a lot more confident when i go back on the wards after this placement!

I saw your status lol

I was like that when i was in theatre recovery, its technically a critical care placement too but i feel so much more knowledgable than my friends about doing my ABCDE's, triage, observations, pain management etc than I would on a ward. I just realised yesterday though I've not been on a ward as a student nurse in over a year now!

Really odd question
We have 2 patients on the caseload. Same surgery (hysterectomy) in the same hospital. Both of these patients started developing heavy exudate to the wound, it was pus like and rather offensive. One of these patients who had it worse recently got admitted for MRSA and was treated, the other patient isn't as bad and we're just managing her on daily dressings. Now when i was with the evening nurses on thursday I saw another patient in a totally different area of nottinghamshire with exactly the same surgery and hospital, with the same symptoms- alongside a similar admission/discharge date. The patients who were swabbed didn't have anything to show; but i'm starting to think this is a massive coincidence.

Are these symptoms quite common in the type of surgery, I guess in older women with skin folds they're more common to getting wet wounds- but since one of them was admitted with MRSA I'm not so sure whether its worth telling the DN to consider this? or am I being overreactive?
(edited 13 years ago)
Ive seen a couple of patients with the same thing post op, however i wouldnt say it became that extreme, just exudate that was managed by keeping clean, regular dressings etc.
I see what you mean about it seeming a conisindence though, cant help but think eh?. You could maybe mention it, see whats said.

Latest

Trending

Trending