The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well i've spent an entire weekend in resus and i definitely feel my knowledge of abc's is coming on leaps and bounds! The nurses are really good at making me think about how to assess and what needs come next and the types of triage questions i need to be asking and stuff. This placement is definitely making me more analytical and better at thinking on my feet about what to do and prioritising things that need doing based on which patients are the poorliest etc..

Got my intermediate interview this coming week and i'm a bit nervous because i'm not entirely sure how my really mentors think i'm doing...and tbh i don't really know how i'm doing!
Becky_90
Ive seen a couple of patients with the same thing post op, however i wouldnt say it became that extreme, just exudate that was managed by keeping clean, regular dressings etc.
I see what you mean about it seeming a conisindence though, cant help but think eh?. You could maybe mention it, see whats said.

Hmm yeah- I may suggest repeating swabs? We'll see tomorrow.

I'm really annoyed. My shower has stopped working, AND my car has a flat tyre! Meaning I have to get 2 buses to placement tomorrow :frown:

On the plus side i get some results on tuesday- on an essay I've put minimal effort into, so should be interesting :o:

Where did all my energy and enthusiasm go from first year?! lol

OOOO i have good news though- I've been signed off with the majority of my learning outcomes at a level 4 :woo: - the highest level before qualifying, which has really cheered me up. Ive just got to maintain it for next year now!
dani_88
Well i've spent an entire weekend in resus and i definitely feel my knowledge of abc's is coming on leaps and bounds! The nurses are really good at making me think about how to assess and what needs come next and the types of triage questions i need to be asking and stuff. This placement is definitely making me more analytical and better at thinking on my feet about what to do and prioritising things that need doing based on which patients are the poorliest etc..

Got my intermediate interview this coming week and i'm a bit nervous because i'm not entirely sure how my really mentors think i'm doing...and tbh i don't really know how i'm doing!

Thats fab news! Its amazing when you think back to how much you've learned and its true you soak so much in when you're in practice.
Random question: if i'm on a night shift the night the clocks go back... do i have to work the extra hour lol?! I've just realised this and i'm not impressed! :p:
dani_88
Random question: if i'm on a night shift the night the clocks go back... do i have to work the extra hour lol?! I've just realised this and i'm not impressed! :p:

This happened to me in march. 2 things can happen. You WILL have to work the extra hour but either you take an hour off your shifts on the rest if this placement- or you make sure you do a night when they go forward. ORR you bribe your mentor to let you go home early lol
Argh! Wayy to much work to do, not good!
woooo started placement today and I loveee it already:biggrin:

it's alternative branch - Learning disability, It's so interesting and I love working with people with special needs!!!:biggrin:

Did anyone else feel like changing branch after alternative placement? MH really interests me tooo! I keep thinking maybe adult isn't for me but i'm mainly doing it because it's known as general nursing and least i'll have more options afterwards i suppose...
I had a few days where i thought about switching branch... but ultimately i love my oldies too much to do LD/child etc...

I thoroughly enjoyed my LD placement though. The theory behind it fascinated me.
dani_88

I worked an hour less when I was on nights when the clocks went forward earlier this year. The midwives said they try and work it so those who are on when they go forward are also on when they go back.

Not sure how it works with students. I imagine if your mentor/shift co-ordinator is nice enough they'd let you go home :smile:
I'm just going to swap my shifts! :p:
Back from nights - shifts swaps... no nasty night shift when the clocks go back for me :p:

Feeling a bit down though... i didn't do very well on my intermediate placement assessment - i didn't expect to do as well like i've done on other placements because it's a really challenging placement and my confidence isn't great here at the moment (it's getting better slowly though) but.. i dunno, i've just never done this badly grades wise on placement...
I appreciate that in second year everything does get harder and it becomes a lot more challenging to get a good grade but it's still a total bummer...and kind of a bit of a confidence knock as well - because i did worse than i'd honestly expected! :frown:
Holamigo
woooo started placement today and I loveee it already:biggrin:

it's alternative branch - Learning disability, It's so interesting and I love working with people with special needs!!!:biggrin:

Did anyone else feel like changing branch after alternative placement? MH really interests me tooo! I keep thinking maybe adult isn't for me but i'm mainly doing it because it's known as general nursing and least i'll have more options afterwards i suppose...

If you feel like that it's worth signing up with NHSP and doing shifts in the areas that interest you just to get it out of your system and see if it is or isn't for you. I would love to work in A&E but I couldn't handle doing three years of training through all the other areas just to qualify and then pray I get a job in A&E!
Situation with mentor has gone from bad to worse.

Yesterday- Me and DN decided to man up and tell her face to face whats happened, and why I don't want her as my mentor

Today- I came in placement after a sleepless night, in tears- as i'd been stressing about it. We decided not to do it, and leave it till after placement

BUT this now leaves me with a predicament- do I still have her as my mentor? I really, really, really don't want too- she makes me feel awkward, she belittles me, treats me and the patients like crap and just ruins my day. I've been very good this week in getting loads of visits with other members of staff (they all know whats going on) and they've been supportive, making excuses for me (like anna wants to see a tv referral today, or i have a b12 injection to do and anna wants to do it) etc etc. However friday I have nothing..

I just don't know what to do. I'm thinking- man up, say something with the DN and get it sorted. If its awkward- its only for a week.

I'm going to be writing an incident form on tuesday with my main mentor. I also chatted about this to other members of staff (other than management) and made me feel better- they all said they'd had problems with her in the past, eg one colleague had her as her preceptor and she was awful. One other nurse said she was shocked she was even allowed to have students and wouldn't let her student go out with my mentor as she's that bad. SO I feel better in that I used to think it was just ME being silly and sensitive- but no.

Just UGH

Its ruined my placement :frown:
smilee172
If you feel like that it's worth signing up with NHSP and doing shifts in the areas that interest you just to get it out of your system and see if it is or isn't for you. I would love to work in A&E but I couldn't handle doing three years of training through all the other areas just to qualify and then pray I get a job in A&E!

What's NHSP?

And I think LD nurses are mainly based in the community but I could easily get a job because my mum manages houses which 6 or so of them live in and carers come and help them.

I would also love to work in A&E too! It's so hard deciding what to do for the best!

I LOVE this placement :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Holamigo
What's NHSP?

And I think LD nurses are mainly based in the community but I could easily get a job because my mum manages houses which 6 or so of them live in and carers come and help them.

I would also love to work in A&E too! It's so hard deciding what to do for the best!

I LOVE this placement :biggrin:

NHS Professionals - agency/bank work as a HCA.That way you can do shifts all over the shop and see what you like/dislike!
Subcutaneous
Situation with mentor has gone from bad to worse.

Yesterday- Me and DN decided to man up and tell her face to face whats happened, and why I don't want her as my mentor

Today- I came in placement after a sleepless night, in tears- as i'd been stressing about it. We decided not to do it, and leave it till after placement

BUT this now leaves me with a predicament- do I still have her as my mentor? I really, really, really don't want too- she makes me feel awkward, she belittles me, treats me and the patients like crap and just ruins my day. I've been very good this week in getting loads of visits with other members of staff (they all know whats going on) and they've been supportive, making excuses for me (like anna wants to see a tv referral today, or i have a b12 injection to do and anna wants to do it) etc etc. However friday I have nothing..

I just don't know what to do. I'm thinking- man up, say something with the DN and get it sorted. If its awkward- its only for a week.

I'm going to be writing an incident form on tuesday with my main mentor. I also chatted about this to other members of staff (other than management) and made me feel better- they all said they'd had problems with her in the past, eg one colleague had her as her preceptor and she was awful. One other nurse said she was shocked she was even allowed to have students and wouldn't let her student go out with my mentor as she's that bad. SO I feel better in that I used to think it was just ME being silly and sensitive- but no.

Just UGH

Its ruined my placement :frown:

It's a shiddy situation to be in. I had a friend in a similar predicament. She complained to her co-mentor. The co-mentor told the problematic mentor. The mentor then confronted my friend (which was extremely unprofessional) and proceeded to make my friend's life hell. Long story short the problematic mentor got disciplined at work and I think since then she's since lost her job for whatever reason. It was a similar situation to you in that a lot of people in the workplace had had concerns or issues with her, but it wasn't until a student finally decided to do something about it that it came to light. I think as difficult as it is, you need to man up and explain to her. Then again it depends whether she's signed off your competencies yet or not - if this is going to affect how she signs you off then I would wait. Argh I'm finding it tricky to explain myself but I am sure you can see what I mean?!!
ahhh this whole new rep system - if it's not broken why try and fix it! it sucks!
Original post by smilee172
It's a shiddy situation to be in. I had a friend in a similar predicament. She complained to her co-mentor. The co-mentor told the problematic mentor. The mentor then confronted my friend (which was extremely unprofessional) and proceeded to make my friend's life hell. Long story short the problematic mentor got disciplined at work and I think since then she's since lost her job for whatever reason. It was a similar situation to you in that a lot of people in the workplace had had concerns or issues with her, but it wasn't until a student finally decided to do something about it that it came to light. I think as difficult as it is, you need to man up and explain to her. Then again it depends whether she's signed off your competencies yet or not - if this is going to affect how she signs you off then I would wait. Argh I'm finding it tricky to explain myself but I am sure you can see what I mean?!!

I had to sit in a meeting today and told her my concerns. Im glad i told her face to face- as after all its about growing up and being professional. I then felt like I was getting told off for being immature and not saying something sooner- hey ho.

She's not signing me off..thank god
Original post by smilee172
ahhh this whole new rep system - if it's not broken why try and fix it! it sucks!

I don't like change!
Ahhhhhh nhsp SUCK! I want to work god dammit they're taking forever!! :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending