Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to leave my placement... one week left... I'm actually gonna cry when i have to leave lol! I have genuinely learnt so much!

I moaned like hell about it a couple of weeks ago and still occassionally have days where i think arghhh i can't do this.. but on the whole and on reflection - i have learnt loads! And i really *hope* it's going to make me more confident on the wards! I've seen so much and know so much more about so many different conditions. I LOVE fast paced... so really don't fancy a slow paced ward ever again :p:

How's the rest of you lovely student nurses getting on/

ReputationRep:
    Thats gone really fast!
    Im glad you've enjoyed it and i can see what you mean, something like that can only help and give you such a confidence boost in regards to future placements.

Not much going on here. Still got my general medical ward placement so looks like the arent going to change again. Then just a pile of work to get through. Im hoping to get home before placement at the end of the month so its busy, busy, busy here!

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll end up liking your medical ward. It's always the placements you expect to hate / you're not that sure or bothered about.. that you end up loving!!

Just doing my presentation at the moment. Got to do a presentation on something specific i've learnt during this placement - at my final interview. Hoping to make it good because i'm hoping for an A in the knowledge part of my grade :p: Started doing it on ACS protocol but decided to do it on anaphylaxis instead

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, im hoping that. Its just next door to the renal ward i was on last time so ive a fair idea of things. Never please me lol!...didnt want MAU, get rid of that and now i dont want this ward! Though it feels like ages since ive been on placement so this is nicer to ease in with than MAU.

Ohh, that sounds interesting. Anaphylaxis will be a good one aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Turns out anaphylaxis is a lot more complicated than i'd first anticipated...

I only have like 5-10mins to do this presentation... reckon i should zone in on one particular area rather than try and do the whole lot? :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani_88)
    Turns out anaphylaxis is a lot more complicated than i'd first anticipated...

I only have like 5-10mins to do this presentation... reckon i should zone in on one particular area rather than try and do the whole lot? :\
    lol I was gonna say are you SURE you want to do anaphylaxis?! lol

I've just had my first ever community emergency

I was coming out of my drive (on the way to laser quest lol) and a lady had fallen at the corner of my road, its a steep hill and on some wet leaves.

So reluctantly got out the car to see if i could help (as the crazy cat lady who lives near me had gone...so rather me than her lol) and she just had a small skin tear to the ankle, and it was rather swollen, no open fracture though- thank god! Anyway went and did the right thing, got her some frozen peas on it, elevated, reassured and someone rang an ambulance- I gave her 1g of paracetamol which this crazy lady went mental about saying she shouldn't eat or drink. However it was a small sip of water, the ambulance people were going to a while apparently and the poor woman was in agony, she said it was an 8/10- So I was hardly goiung to leave her. Didn't give her any brufen though as she was asthmatic (I even checked for allergies, PMH, and the expiry date on the paracetamol lol).

Anyway we were waiting for the ambulance for over an hour - Everyone left me with her when I mentioned I was a student nurse. 3 police cars drove past and SAW us but didn't help (even though they have a first aid kit with saline, gauze, ice packs etc). I was a proper nurse and did 10 min obs on her (aka pedal pulses, cap refill, sensation, and took her pulse as she was very cold and started shaking). I even relieved her pressure areas by getting her a pillow to sit on lol

She was fine in the end- a PCSO finally helped and put her through as a priority as i was concerned about her getting cold and the pain was worsening. Ambulance people said i did really well, by giving her paracetamol- and did everything I should have done!

It was really surreal- I was always worried i'd never know what to do in those situations but I went into automatic mode, and just did my ABCDE'S etc- and even gave a structured handover to the paramedics lol

PS- I hate my current placement.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    lol I was gonna say are you SURE you want to do anaphylaxis?! lol

I've just had my first ever community emergency

I was coming out of my drive (on the way to laser quest lol) and a lady had fallen at the corner of my road, its a steep hill and on some wet leaves.

So reluctantly got out the car to see if i could help (as the crazy cat lady who lives near me had gone...so rather me than her lol) and she just had a small skin tear to the ankle, and it was rather swollen, no open fracture though- thank god! Anyway went and did the right thing, got her some frozen peas on it, elevated, reassured and someone rang an ambulance- I gave her 1g of paracetamol which this crazy lady went mental about saying she shouldn't eat or drink. However it was a small sip of water, the ambulance people were going to a while apparently and the poor woman was in agony, she said it was an 8/10- So I was hardly goiung to leave her. Didn't give her any brufen though as she was asthmatic (I even checked for allergies, PMH, and the expiry date on the paracetamol lol).

Anyway we were waiting for the ambulance for over an hour - Everyone left me with her when I mentioned I was a student nurse. 3 police cars drove past and SAW us but didn't help (even though they have a first aid kit with saline, gauze, ice packs etc). I was a proper nurse and did 10 min obs on her (aka pedal pulses, cap refill, sensation, and took her pulse as she was very cold and started shaking). I even relieved her pressure areas by getting her a pillow to sit on lol

She was fine in the end- a PCSO finally helped and put her through as a priority as i was concerned about her getting cold and the pain was worsening. Ambulance people said i did really well, by giving her paracetamol- and did everything I should have done!

It was really surreal- I was always worried i'd never know what to do in those situations but I went into automatic mode, and just did my ABCDE'S etc- and even gave a structured handover to the paramedics lol

PS- I hate my current placement.:mad:
    Well done to you That sounds like you did really well!! I'm impressed you bothered checking the expiry date on the paracetamol though haha!
    Can't believe police cars just drove past..
    And yeah, we were told not to admit we were student nurses lol!

Gonna change my title to allergies and zone in on anaphylaxis of a specific allergy...

And you hate it? This the prison??
    Soudns like it should be an interesting placement... what's so bad about it?!

ReputationRep:
    Well done to you That sounds like you did really well!! I'm impressed you bothered checking the expiry date on the paracetamol though haha!
    Can't believe police cars just drove past..
    And yeah, we were told not to admit we were student nurses lol!

Gonna change my title to allergies and zone in on anaphylaxis of a specific allergy...

And you hate it? This the prison??
    Soudns like it should be an interesting placement... what's so bad about it?!
    lol I had an incident on friday when me and my mentor almost gave diazapam that was expired and since then i've become ULTRA anal about expirary dates on drugs lol.

I totally shouldn't have admitted i'm a student nurse, we've not had much training about dealing with community situations really so it was all new to me.

I just hate it.. it's a really deppressing place. You'd think it'd be safe but it's not, theres drugs going round like nobodys buisness, lots of suicide attempts..and the environment is really getting me down! I love the nursing side, but i guess I'm just missing my last placement a lot

I'm really tired of placements now, really just want to stay in one place and settle there and hate being moved around!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry can't be more help, good luck

(Original post by Anis001)
    Hiya everyone!

I have applied for Learning Disabilities nursing at York, Nottingham and Teesside. York no longer does the diploma of Higher education but Nottingham does both it and the degree, as for Teesside I am applying for combined social work and LD nursing Degree. Social work at York and Physiotherapy at Teesside.

1. I would like to know at little about what life is like as a student nurse? How do you mean? Like hours and such... that will depend on your uni and their course breakdown... but generally 37.5 hours on placement, and pretty much 9-5 in uni. My uni has a 42week year.
    a. Degree student?
    b. Diploma student?

2. How to choose between York and Nottingham?

My biggest question is; Is nursing very visual? Yes, I have occular albinism and nystagmus, and my place was pending an eye exam. The difference would be, I am permitted to drive, it didn't deteriorate as expected and I have reserved majority of my sight. But yes, you have to read small dates on medicines, write patient notes in set format. Read other nurses and doctors (which is the worst) handwritten notes. Computer works. Filling in lab and blood forms, etc... Even just patient care. And assessment.

I am registered blind legally I have 6/60 vision right eye and I can see colours, light and movement in the right, its very blurry in the though. Your best bet would be to contact the University, or even the NMC, because ultimately you could do the course, and they could refuse to register you. TBH you would find it extremely difficult, but not impossible.

They have blind nurses in the USA I read up on it but maybe they had full sight when they trained? I honsetly do not know how this would work.... unless they where in desk based jobs?

I chose LD because I am disabled myself Visually Impaired and I know it is less clinical and more of a social approach?

What is life like as a social work student?
    What is life like as a Physiotherapy student?

Social work and Physiotherapy are back up careers, I have known people with no sight work as social workers and Physiotherapists my heart is very set on LD nursing, I have passed nursing interviews in the past got offered entry for York 2011 but if is conditional on my CRB and Occupation health check. I reapplied this year through my access course but also I didn’t want to put all my eggs in one basket just in case York don’t want me

Thanks for your help, anyone is free to post it doesn’t matter what course what Uni etc I am open minded

(",)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    lol I had an incident on friday when me and my mentor almost gave diazapam that was expired and since then i've become ULTRA anal about expirary dates on drugs lol.

I totally shouldn't have admitted i'm a student nurse, we've not had much training about dealing with community situations really so it was all new to me.

I just hate it.. it's a really deppressing place. You'd think it'd be safe but it's not, theres drugs going round like nobodys buisness, lots of suicide attempts..and the environment is really getting me down! I love the nursing side, but i guess I'm just missing my last placement a lot

I'm really tired of placements now, really just want to stay in one place and settle there and hate being moved around!
    I am dyinggggggggggggggggggg in uni at the moment!! Hopefully find out placements next week... praying for A&E lol... or somewhere fast and buzy

ReputationRep:
    I'm offically in 3rd year AND Offically on the Bsc course

AND Passed 2nd year with an OFFICAL 1st!!!!!

EEEEEEEEK!!!!

Bring on 3rd year!

ReputationRep:
    Well done...and welcome to the world of BSc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louise_1229)
    I am dyinggggggggggggggggggg in uni at the moment!! Hopefully find out placements next week... praying for A&E lol... or somewhere fast and buzy
    A&E is great. Most of the time.
    I really don't think second years should go there though! End of second year would be fine... but earlier than that...no chance.
    Will be complaining to uni.

I think it's a fab placement and i've learnt loads. But i regularly leave shifts and wonder how on earth i'm coping... tonights shift was hell on earth.. my mentor felt really sorry for me. I wanted to cry.

Don't be disheartened if you don't get A&E now... you'll be thankful if you get it later on in your training! :p:
    If you do get A&E.. let me know. I'll fill you in more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louise_1229)
    Sorry can't be more help, good luck
    Thank you Louise

I did conatct the Roayl colege of nursing but cant remebr if I rang the NMC I will though, the RNIB Royal National Institue for the Blind and Action for the Blind are trying to look into things for me

Learning Disabilities nursing is less clinical more in the community, my biggest case is people awkene to blindness evry day and i could lose my sight by being knocked by anyone so rather use it to support people

Universities juts say we have visaully imapired students they don't understadd the scale perhpas I best talk to the disabilities team directly, i must be so stupid to persue a career that isn't meant for VIs, I have been told by Univeristies that its up to OC health, its not looking good maybe social work or Physiotherapy its is then

thank you for all your answers, wow a 35.5h week really? so its like work I knew it was very demanding, oh 42 weeks some Unis do the 52 wk year don't they

cheers

ReputationRep:
    You are all so very passionate about Nursing A&E sounds exciting it be a no go area for me but you guyz enjoy

ReputationRep:
    A&E is great. Most of the time.
    I really don't think second years should go there though! End of second year would be fine... but earlier than that...no chance.
    Will be complaining to uni.

I think it's a fab placement and i've learnt loads. But i regularly leave shifts and wonder how on earth i'm coping... tonights shift was hell on earth.. my mentor felt really sorry for me. I wanted to cry.

Don't be disheartened if you don't get A&E now... you'll be thankful if you get it later on in your training! :p:
    If you do get A&E.. let me know. I'll fill you in more!
    our uni gives them from the start of second year, and i know i will love it. I do bank NA and have had quite a few shifts in A&E, looooove the buzz and excitement!! haha... but that is just me

ReputationRep:
    Ive finally decided on my last 3 placements to request!

Critical 1: A&E
    Critical 2: Oncology

Management: Thoracic surgery

I think ive got a really good mix. I've decided not to have community as management, mainly as i think seeing as i'll try and get a ward as my first job- and i've spent the whole of my second year NOT being on a ward! So its only fair i get a bit more experience in. Everyone think its a variety?

ReputationRep:
    I bet thoracic surgery could be very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all :hello:

We're reviewing all of the social groups following migration to vBulletin 3.8 and we've noticed that this group doesn't have any active leader. Would anyone like to take over?

There's not a huge amount that a leader needs to do - mainly, they'll need to manage any requests to join the group (or just set requests to be accepted automatically), but they also have additional powers over, for example, any additional threads that could be associated with the group. There may well be a bit of a backlog of requests, but once this has been looked at (which is probably simply a case of choosing "approve all") there shouldn't be much work involved. You can also set a group to automatically accept all join requests without needing approval from the leader. Being active in this thread would be good, to keep a healthy level of discussion going, but nothing's obligatory.

If you'd like to see more about how social groups work and how to manage them, take a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq....=social_groups

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Hi all :hello:

We're reviewing all of the social groups following migration to vBulletin 3.8 and we've noticed that this group doesn't have any active leader. Would anyone like to take over?

There's not a huge amount that a leader needs to do - mainly, they'll need to manage any requests to join the group (or just set requests to be accepted automatically), but they also have additional powers over, for example, any additional threads that could be associated with the group. There may well be a bit of a backlog of requests, but once this has been looked at (which is probably simply a case of choosing "approve all") there shouldn't be much work involved. You can also set a group to automatically accept all join requests without needing approval from the leader. Being active in this thread would be good, to keep a healthy level of discussion going, but nothing's obligatory.

If you'd like to see more about how social groups work and how to manage them, take a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq....=social_groups
    i nominate subcutaneous!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 2, 2011

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.