Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx-Samantha-xx)
    Hey, thanks for all that info

Its gone really well so far for the first two shifts, i had a few oh dear what am i doing moments but everyone is very friendly on the ward and it's been fairly quiet apparently, they love students on the ward lol Patients don't stay on the ward that long apparently so we have one or two new ones each shift as its a small one

As for feeding, most can do it themselves at the moment so i've not had the chance to help quite yet but i've handed the trays out and opened cartons etc, quiet basic stuff at the moment as our mentor wants us working with the HCA's for the first few weeks as its a long placement anyway, that means we've not done drugs rounds yet but we'll get there..woop

so far i've done basic observations, used a hoist and been moving the patients where needed. Went down with a patient today for an ultrasound on their neck which was really interesting. I shall be a bit more asky tomorrow because i didnt want to get in the way too much.

With the drinking we are told on handover what kind of diets certain people are on and there is a thickening powder that is used for stage two diets, not watched or done any feeding tubes yet.

To be honest i'm not looking forward to last offices and we've not been taught about it yet at uni but apparently according to the other student from a differernt uni there has been 2 deaths on the ward at the moment so it may happen...eek

And don't worry, i've only done 4 days work experience on a different stroke ward before to any info is good thanks

And i think i already don't want to leave hehe, uni was getting a bit routine lol

Again thanks for all the information, i shall keep it in mind
    Glad you're enjoying it!

On my first placement we spent a couple of weeks just being with the HCAs getting to grips with all the basics. I think it's a really good idea! It's really infuriating when students get on in their training and are really clued up on drugs and all the other "important" things but get flustered over helping patients to mobilise etc!! Really annoying! The time i spent with the HCAs at the beginning of my training was sooo invaluable and i learnt LOADS from them!

And seriously, don't worry about asking questions. They much prefer someone to ask questions and want to learn as opposed to somebody who stands there not saying anything waiting for things to do lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani_88)
    I'll go into my placement with an open mind...and if i do really hate it i'm sure there's plenty of spoke days available? What sort of things did you do? Is there community palliative teams and things like that that you can spend time with?

Glad you're starting to enjoy your placement Excuse the stupidity, but what's a C&R? And what's a code red?
    If you remember waaayyy back i was dreading my community! Heard it was boring, nurses were undertrained and was for those who'd failed as real nursing! Now i can definately see myself forging a career in primary care! Wish i'd listened in lectures more tbh this year as they were community focused.

Im not saying im enjoying it YET...just had an interestimg shift. Code red is a response meaning heavy bleeding, code blue = not breathing. C&R is when PCO's control and restrain prisoners who refuse to go somewhere. It gets filmed and is an organised movement on their part, but nurses we have to be present if injurys are sustained. Half the time prisoners tend to do more talk than action and will walk quietly when officers approach the cell. Ive heard of ones with riot gear being used etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    If you remember waaayyy back i was dreading my community! Heard it was boring, nurses were undertrained and was for those who'd failed as real nursing! Now i can definately see myself forging a career in primary care! Wish i'd listened in lectures more tbh this year as they were community focused.

Im not saying im enjoying it YET...just had an interestimg shift. Code red is a response meaning heavy bleeding, code blue = not breathing. C&R is when PCO's control and restrain prisoners who refuse to go somewhere. It gets filmed and is an organised movement on their part, but nurses we have to be present if injurys are sustained. Half the time prisoners tend to do more talk than action and will walk quietly when officers approach the cell. Ive heard of ones with riot gear being used etc.
    Some of the trusts over here use C&R in mental health settings, others use MAPPA or MATHES... all same sort of thing xx

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea HOW im gonna get into placement tomorrow without killing myself!

ReputationRep:
    YAY finally got my student loan application approved and my payment dates through, I'm only getting around £1800 for the year, which works out at about £125 a month but i'm gonna use the loan for emergencies.

Still waiting to see how much my NHS bursary will be though..not expecting a miracle and Its not as if i can take up extra shifts on the agency in 3rd year with the extra work i'll have!

ReputationRep:
    ah I am absolutely knackered... have worked nearly 11 days without a day off! Just finising my 2nd week/9 week placement! At first I absolutely hated it and don't really agree with how they treat the patients but I am learning lots n lots and my mentor is lovely!
    Even though it's a ward that specializes in diabetes there isn't that many that have it and it's mainly just a general medical ward! They have things such as; cellulitis, leg ulcers, AF, parkinsons, urosepsis, pallitive care.. etc..
    I cannot wait to have my 2 weeks off at christmasssss!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    ah I am absolutely knackered... have worked nearly 11 days without a day off! Just finising my 2nd week/9 week placement! At first I absolutely hated it and don't really agree with how they treat the patients but I am learning lots n lots and my mentor is lovely!
    Even though it's a ward that specializes in diabetes there isn't that many that have it and it's mainly just a general medical ward! They have things such as; cellulitis, leg ulcers, AF, parkinsons, urosepsis, pallitive care.. etc..
    I cannot wait to have my 2 weeks off at christmasssss!

in what way don't you agree with how they treat the patients? I have to say, as someone who recently had to report a mentor- If they're not treating patients with dignity, respect or to NMC guidelines- SPEAK UP! You're a patients advocate too!!

Ive got 4 weeks off this christmas, i'm actually worried about getting bored

Just realised though, it's my last proper holiday as a student (as i'm in management prep/dissertation mode during my summer hol!)

ReputationRep:
    in what way don't you agree with how they treat the patients? I have to say, as someone who recently had to report a mentor- If they're not treating patients with dignity, respect or to NMC guidelines- SPEAK UP! You're a patients advocate too!!

Ive got 4 weeks off this christmas, i'm actually worried about getting bored

Just realised though, it's my last proper holiday as a student (as i'm in management prep/dissertation mode during my summer hol!)

There's a whole list of things to be honest that I don't agree with :-/ Some patients are left for hours with no drink etc. and aren't treated with dignity or respect.
    i'm gonna keep a note of things and tell my link tutor when I finish the placement but i'm not sure what else i can do really?!? It really upset me at first.
    The thing is, it's not actually the staff's fault, they just don't have the time or enough staff to deal with it and they generally do the best they can!!

ReputationRep:
    There's a whole list of things to be honest that I don't agree with :-/ Some patients are left for hours with no drink etc. and aren't treated with dignity or respect.
    i'm gonna keep a note of things and tell my link tutor when I finish the placement but i'm not sure what else i can do really?!? It really upset me at first.
    The thing is, it's not actually the staff's fault, they just don't have the time or enough staff to deal with it and they generally do the best they can!!
    Thats really wrong- its a shame the basic care is getting missed. Is there one particuarly nurse, or is it the team as a whole?

Definately log it and tell your tutor NOW rather than at the end, as if anything does go wrong and something happens you have your conversations with them to back you up. I'm glad i told my tutor ASAP and didn't let it blow over as he was really supportive.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacde...tion=912582578

My dream job...just 9 months too early

ReputationRep:
    http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacde...tion=912582578

My dream job...just 9 months too early
    Oh my god.. that sounds like a dream job alright!!
    When can you actually start applying for jobs?

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you mean.
    Thats kinda like my current placement, they are doing the best with what they have but they just dont have enough time/staff. I end up running around like mad trying to sort things for patients, even just the little bits and pieces, but that usually ends in something staff see as not being the best way.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god.. that sounds like a dream job alright!!
    When can you actually start applying for jobs?
    About 6 months before hand, so may/june time i'll be hunting, want to have started interviews by september at the latest really, we'll see!!

So fed up of being broke!!

ReputationRep:
    About 6 months before hand, so may/june time i'll be hunting, want to have started interviews by september at the latest really, we'll see!!

So fed up of being broke!!
    I feel your pain!! My car insurance people cancelled my insurance because the money didn't come out due to THEIR error so i now have no car for the next two weeks til i can afford to re-do allll my car insurance on bursary day... so depressing! Especially in the snow lol.

What kind of places are you going to apply to? Presumably community? What else?

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain!! My car insurance people cancelled my insurance because the money didn't come out due to THEIR error so i now have no car for the next two weeks til i can afford to re-do allll my car insurance on bursary day... so depressing! Especially in the snow lol.

What kind of places are you going to apply to? Presumably community? What else?
    I dont think i'll be applying to community as an NQ actually. I want to do it as management but its an area i'd like to go into when i have kids etc and want to start boosting my career & settling down etc. Probably a HDU ward, theatre recovery or surgical ward i think.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think i'll be applying to community as an NQ actually. I want to do it as management but its an area i'd like to go into when i have kids etc and want to start boosting my career & settling down etc. Probably a HDU ward, theatre recovery or surgical ward i think.
    Ah fair enough!
    I reckon HDU would be really good! Still praying for an ITU/HDU placement..but pretty sure i wont get one now... as i only have 3 placements left (after my community in jan)... one being management.. one being a surgical ward..and the other being airways - so i'll probably get sent to theatres or something...

I'm currently leaning towards cardiology / MAU / AAU type wards.. and considering one of those for my management here too.

First nhsp shift on sunday guys...really scared lol! I'm going to be the only hca on the ward because it's escalation... eek!

ReputationRep:
    Gosh you know what your placements will be to a plan? That'd be great methinks! We seem to get no particular plan - several peeps have had a couple of similar ones whilst others would love those places and haven't been offered anything relevant to one area... Then again apparently ours used to be like that - now the rumour is they won't even be allowing us any opportunity to state a preference for management which I think will make it really hard - its one thing making the most of a placement where you don't particularly feel able to fit in on a standard placement but quite another when its 15 weeks and you've got to do management stuff...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky Stothart)
    Gosh you know what your placements will be to a plan? That'd be great methinks! We seem to get no particular plan - several peeps have had a couple of similar ones whilst others would love those places and haven't been offered anything relevant to one area... Then again apparently ours used to be like that - now the rumour is they won't even be allowing us any opportunity to state a preference for management which I think will make it really hard - its one thing making the most of a placement where you don't particularly feel able to fit in on a standard placement but quite another when its 15 weeks and you've got to do management stuff...
    We're at the same uni...
    Everyone in adult branch at our uni has the same placements - ward, critical/acute, community and airways..then management... so depends on the ward as to what it's classed as... make any sense? so it can appear that people get similar ones but they're probably not!
    And they lie about us not being able to pick our managements.. we can.. they just don't let you do it until the last minute! :p:

Quick question..do u do bank work at beds hosp?? I want to over xmas but they're not covered by nhsp..how do i go about that?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky_90)
    I know exactly what you mean.
    Thats kinda like my current placement, they are doing the best with what they have but they just dont have enough time/staff. I end up running around like mad trying to sort things for patients, even just the little bits and pieces, but that usually ends in something staff see as not being the best way.
    It's horrible isn't it! I try to help as much as I can but there's only so much you can do.
    It really puts me off being a nurse to be honest. Don't think I want to work in a hospital at all...

ReputationRep:
    It's horrible isn't it! I try to help as much as I can but there's only so much you can do.
    It really puts me off being a nurse to be honest. Don't think I want to work in a hospital at all...
    Yeh, its a real eye opener. Likewise, theres alot of elderly patients on my current ward and it really touches me when they are so appreciative of you doing little things for them, shouldnt be like that and makes me wonder what its like as a ward without students.

Certainly makes for re-consideration eh?. Ive not had any non hospital experience yet but i know what you mean.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 2, 2011

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.