Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm happy with either location. London is obviously much closer to me and preferable to me, but if Birmingham is better for other people then I could do that.

I don't, however, know my way around Birmingham at all, as I have never been there in my life... so destination once in Brum Land can be left to someone else if we go there :p:

ReputationRep:
    London sounds good because i'm planning to visit some friends around that date aswel.

Does anyone have any clue on what these symptoms could mean?

Breathlessness on exertion
    slight chest pain/pressure
    persistent cough
    x-ray = clear
    Antibiotics -haven't improved it
    non-smoker

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite interested in nursing once I've completed my degree in politics. (slight diversion I know)
    I wondered what my options were. Would I have to do an undergraduate degree or is there a fast route type course I could do?
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    London sounds good because i'm planning to visit some friends around that date aswel.

Does anyone have any clue on what these symptoms could mean?

Breathlessness on exertion
    slight chest pain/pressure
    persistent cough
    x-ray = clear
    Antibiotics -haven't improved it
    non-smoker
    No idea, ask a doctor :p:
    The weathers pretty crap at the moment..could exacerbate a lot of straight forward things. Ie i had a really achey chest and a bad cough for a few days after going for a run!
    This person asthmatic by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    I'm quite interested in nursing once I've completed my degree in politics. (slight diversion I know)
    I wondered what my options were. Would I have to do an undergraduate degree or is there a fast route type course I could do?
    x
    Hey there

One of the girls on my course did history and politics before starting her nursing degree.
    She's doing the 3yr nursing course the same as everybody else - I *think* you have to.. i'm pretty sure the only way you can join the 2year nursing course is if your previous degree is in a healthcare related profession. (I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.)

Even if you could join the 2 year fast-track course, I really think you'd be better off doing the 3 year course, just because your background is so different.
    To be honest, even the fast-track guys at my uni are struggling to fit everything into 2 years and they have biology backgrounds. It's not the kind of degree that you can really fast-track without decent previous experience. You still have to fit in a certain amount of hours to fullfill the NMC requirements before you're allowed to practise as a qualified nurse anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani_88)
    Hey there

One of the girls on my course did history and politics before starting her nursing degree.
    She's doing the 3yr nursing course the same as everybody else - I *think* you have to.. i'm pretty sure the only way you can join the 2year nursing course is if your previous degree is in a healthcare related profession. (I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.)

Even if you could join the 2 year fast-track course, I really think you'd be better off doing the 3 year course, just because your background is so different.
    To be honest, even the fast-track guys at my uni are struggling to fit everything into 2 years and they have biology backgrounds. It's not the kind of degree that you can really fast-track without decent previous experience. You still have to fit in a certain amount of hours to fullfill the NMC requirements before you're allowed to practise as a qualified nurse anyway.
    I see thank you I'm thinking about moving to England anyway, I guess it's an option!
    The thought of having to do another 4 year degree in Scotland kinda puts me off.
    Also I don't have a higher in biology (equivalent to a level?) only have an intermediate 2 (i guess you could compare them to gcses) would that be a problem if I already had my degree?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    I see thank you I'm thinking about moving to England anyway, I guess it's an option!
    The thought of having to do another 4 year degree in Scotland kinda puts me off.
    Also I don't have a higher in biology (equivalent to a level?) only have an intermediate 2 (i guess you could compare them to gcses) would that be a problem if I already had my degree?

Thank you
    I forgot they were 4 yrs in Scotland... They're only 3 in England so I guess that's a better option for you?
    Don't worry about being 22... the average age on my course is about 27 I reckon and the oldest is 55

And don't worry about your highers so much.. I didn't do biology at Alevel and was fine. The most important part of the nursing application process is normally the interviews. They tend to take each applicant based on merit with the nursing course due to a lot more maturer applicants. Do you have any health experience or can you get any? That will really help - knowing that it's definitely the course you want to do and help strengthen your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    I forgot they were 4 yrs in Scotland... They're only 3 in England so I guess that's a better option for you?
    Don't worry about being 22... the average age on my course is about 27 I reckon and the oldest is 55

And don't worry about your highers so much.. I didn't do biology at Alevel and was fine. The most important part of the nursing application process is normally the interviews. They tend to take each applicant based on merit with the nursing course due to a lot more maturer applicants. Do you have any health experience or can you get any? That will really help - knowing that it's definitely the course you want to do and help strengthen your personal statement.
    Yeah, I'll try my best to get some experience. Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    some scottish uni's do the condensed 3 year courses, you just have to look around.

ReputationRep:
    2nd year of adult nursing: done and dusted

I am now offically on holiday and to put it quite frankly...I don't care until now and the 3rd jan!

ReputationRep:
    No idea, ask a doctor :p:
    The weathers pretty crap at the moment..could exacerbate a lot of straight forward things. Ie i had a really achey chest and a bad cough for a few days after going for a run!
    This person asthmatic by any chance?

no he's not asthmatic. Turns out it's chronic bronchitis - it's my dad - he is a painter and I think it's probably years and years of inhaling paint has probably caused it!he's a bit gutted.

I am really not well at the moment - got the flu! Have missed 2 days of my placement so far - first time i've ever missed a day on placement! I'm hoping it's not too hard to make up days?!

ReputationRep:
    Hello people.
    1st year BN (Adult) at Swansea here... About to have my bioscience exam, then starting final placement on community after Christmas. Looking forward to it, but I've heard community is pretty slow and I was on busy wards for my last two placements.
    Stumbled on this site while looking for revision notes for skeletal muscle, thought I'd say hi!
    Anywho... ought to get back to the revision.

ReputationRep:
    Holamigo - Don't worry, it's pretty easy to make up days. I got signed off for a week when I was in outpatients and was really frustrated because I couldn't make the hours up there... but I found it very easy to do on my next placement

Elker - Hello Welcome to the site! Hope you're enjoying your course.
    I'm also going out into the community after Christmas. I've heard mixed reviews, some people love it, some hate it.. Pretty much the same as any placement then :p:
    Good luck in your bio exam!

ReputationRep:
    Oh good - hoping i'll be better by monday really don't want to miss another day. Still not feeling 100%. Haven't been this ill in a while.

Does anyone know... I'm doing the diploma and I know I definitely would like to do the degree straight after, my uni don't have the thing where you can transfer in your last year which sucks! but i can do modules that count towards the degree. . .
    I was just wondering is there courses you can do full time straight after doing the diploma? and how long are they?
    I'd rather do that and get it out the way than doing it part time and working.. like my mentor is doing hers part time and its gona take 4 years :/ eurgh no thanks.

Update :

I'm still not feeling great I'm worrying too much because I never have days off sick and really worried about missing days - i've already missed thursday and friday. Had the weekend off and i'm due to work a late tomorrow but I don't think i'm quite better yet. If I don't feel better at home then I know i will feel 10x worse there. I don't get a lunch break either only a 20 min break at 10am... so that wont help either :-/
    What do i do? shall I go in and try and just get on with it and see how I feel or ring up for the 3rd time? I feel as if they don't believe me

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go in if you're not still 100%... you wont do yourself any favours.
    It's funny how much we all hate calling in sick.. but I tend to find.. they're less likely to believe you if you take 1 day off...if you've taken a few days off then i personally find they're a bit better about it because then you must really have been sick :p:

Your call at the end of the day though

ReputationRep:
    Take it off! You are allowed to be ill!!

PS:

Had to change the ticker as i got my final dates through for 3rd year....LESS THAN A YEAR TO GO!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ah man that's so exciting!!!

NHSP must actually hate me... I cancelled 2 shifts only a few days ago because I was sick... I've been sick again today and now need to cancel more shifts. Blargh. I'm not the only one though...they didn't even have half the class today, we're all bloodi ill.

ReputationRep:
    Ah man that's so exciting!!!

NHSP must actually hate me... I cancelled 2 shifts only a few days ago because I was sick... I've been sick again today and now need to cancel more shifts. Blargh. I'm not the only one though...they didn't even have half the class today, we're all bloodi ill.

Aww im feeling a bit crappy too. Headaches, sore throat..bunged up etc.

ReputationRep:
    Guy's I am so dosed, and this is such a ****ty week for it!!

I have a patient education DVD presentation on Wednesday, and a pharmacology exam on Thursday and I can't muster the energy to move!! it's horrible!!
    Then the anticipation of our 2nd year BPAN exam on the 7/Jan... so looks like I am going to have a very quiet Christmas ... Ok, moan over -promise

ReputationRep:
    ****. My patient comitted suicide. How am I meant to feel?
    We did all we could but, yeah..

I know it's an expected part of the job, but that's not helping the immediateness of my nerves

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 2, 2011

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.